Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 new retro console??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

WANT!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Kill the abomination!!!! KILL IT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭djrlittleton

o1s1n wrote: »
    Kill the abomination!!!! KILL IT!!!

tis a bit of a fugly machine(understatement) but i was just thinking that a few of ye huys maybe had probs with old console and had all the accessiories,

be intresting to see a review on it

Master of the Universe

Ah yeah, I'm only kidding about ;)

I guess we'll all be using devices like this at some point in the future when our gear has packed it in...and Enternow is sick of fixing stuff :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

be intresting to see a review on it

Youtube review - doesn't show any games being played though. Nice idea but horrendous looking machine, the part about needing to have the wireless controllers at the same height as the machine for them to work is a bit crap (although it has ports for the original controllers). He also doesn't know if it's compatible with PAL games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

Its soo pretty, If only all my cartridges didn't go missing due to a blasted wrench refered to as mother

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

review

wouldn't mind picking one of these up..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Nobody pays attention to the General thread anymore :(

Well except Atavan.He loves it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is it proprietry hardware? Be interesting to see a tear down of it, and see whats going on inside it.

On the other hand, it wouldnt be too difficult to make your own one of these. The SNES & Megadrive motherboards are very flat & compact. A dial switch on the front to choose which system is being powered at any given time. Mmm maybe a future project at some stage...maybe :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I still doesn't beat AVGN's NES toaster.

super-nintoaster.jpg

• Advertisement

I know its a shortfall on my part, but I NEVER got all that "fit a dreamcast in a Millenium Falcon" business. I know they are novelty items, but am I so wrong in prefering to see an actual NES playing a game, as opposed to a NES cart inside a toaster? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you don't have to heart to do it yourself you can always call Hitler to help you out:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've already got a NES, Snes and Megadrive, so why bother with some Frankensteins Monster of a clone machine?

A proper Nomad, now that I'd like to own again, the one that got away.
    Or at least the one I swapped for a Virtual Boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I have a Megadrive, but I never had a NES or SNES. I would buy one of these if I saw one - it would be an excuse to play my old megadrive games (if I needed an excuse :D) and I could start playing nintendo's games without buying both consoles. Also, I'm sure this will last for a few years, which is more than I could say about a NES if I bought one off ebay!

Master of the Universe

Only thing about this is it's rather expensive. If you shop around you might just get a Snes and a NES for the same price.

Both the above consoles are very hard wearing. If you get a non working NES it's probably just the 72 pin connector. Which is easy to fix/replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Does it play carts from all regions or just US?

Judging from the review of the wireless controllers it sounds like they're IR and not Wi-Fi/Bluetooth based, which is a shame.

Anyone know how readily available working Six Button Mega Drive controllers are?

I wouldn't mind having something like this if I knew it'd work well.

Master of the Universe

Anyone know how readily available working Six Button Mega Drive controllers are?

Pretty available. You can get them easily enough on ebay. I generally find 6 button ones I come across aren't nearly as knackared as 3 button ones.

Schorpio wrote: »
    Also, I'm sure this will last for a few years, which is more than I could say about a NES if I bought one off ebay!

How do you make that one out?

EnterNow wrote: »
    How do you make that one out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_System#Hardware_design_flaws

and added to that you can never be sure what's been done to a console that you've bought off ebay. One of the advantages of this is that you'd be getting something new, that won't have been thrown against a wall a some stage in it's lifetime. :pac:

Master of the Universe

Nothing a new 72-pin connector won't fix! ;)
    and added to that you can never be sure what's been done to a console that you've bought off ebay. One of the advantages of this is that you'd be getting something new, that won't have been thrown against a wall a some stage in it's lifetime. :pac:

I do know some people have odd issues with owning second hand stuff. I'll gladly say I'm not one of them.

Just give all your consoles a good cleaning with disinfectant and you'll be okay! :D

• Advertisement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_System#Hardware_design_flaws

Just because something is newer, doesnt mean better. If you dont believe me, check here, here, here and this 180 page thread.

I'd bet my last penny on a NES outlasting anything produced in the last few years, console wise. And regards e-bay reliability, you take the same gamble buying anything used - thats why the feedback system is there & so successful :)

I'd bet my last penny on a NES outlasting anything produced in the last few years, console wise. And regards e-bay reliability, you take the same gamble buying anything used - thats why the feedback system is there & so successful :)

Ah yeah, lads! I agree with ye already! I'm not arguing that the NES is crap, or poorly built, I'm just saying that nothing's perfect! I'm only making a case for the new contraption, but if I had to choose, I'd take a NES over it any day! My old Megadrive has been going strong ever since the early nineties! :)

I do know some people have odd issues with owning second hand stuff. I'll gladly say I'm not one of them.

Just give all your consoles a good cleaning with disinfectant and you'll be okay! :D

Also, for the record, if I had an issue owning secondhand stuff, or buying off ebay, my house would be a lot emptier! :p

This is what I get for fighting a newbies corner! :D

This is what I get for fighting a newbies corner! :D

We've all been there man :P Well maybe not o1s1n, have you seen his join date? The man is a boards machine! :D

We've all been there man :P Well maybe not o1s1n, have you seen his join date? The man is a boards machine! :D

Jaysus! I didn't even think boards was that old!! :p

Master of the Universe

Also, for the record, if I had an issue owning secondhand stuff, or buying off ebay, my house would be a lot emptier! :p

Sometimes I wish it was an affliction I was cursed with. Life would be a lot easier, tidier and bank accounts would be overflowing with money. Okay maybe not overflowing, but you get the idea :D

A mate of mine tried to get me to join in 2000 but I didn't get the whole forum thing. And I was sick of signing up to all sites he kept sending me links to. Finally gave in and joined in 2001. Can't believe it's almost a decade later. How time flies when you're waffling on the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I'd prefer the twin FC nes/snes myself, you can only use the snes pads with it afaik(not the nes ones).
    I'll stick with original hardware for now :)
    Finally gave in and joined in 2001. Can't believe it's almost a decade later. How time flies when you're waffling on the internet!
    The retro forum was the latest news forum back then:D

A mate of mine tried to get me to join in 2000 but I didn't get the whole forum thing.

I'd say you just about get it now! ;)

we're kinda getting off topic tho - maybe we should start a new thread to discuss o1s1n's time on boards?! :D:D

Master of the Universe

I'd say you just about get it now! ;)

Not really, as I keep dragging threads off topic! I blame Enternow :(

Speaking of clones, did anyone ever buy that Super Nintendo clone handheld that let you plug carts into it? Kind of like a Snes Nomad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Not really, as I keep dragging threads off topic! I blame Enternow :(

Speaking of clones, did anyone ever buy that Super Nintendo clone handheld that let you plug carts into it? Kind of like a Snes Nomad?

That sounds cool, can you still buy them anywhere?

does anyone remember the amstrad mega-pc?
    amstrad_mega_pc.jpg

• Advertisement

I remember seeing that on Bad Influence many moons ago...

I cant help it o1s1n, the minute someone mentions jamma/pcb/console/rare...the thread is in danger ha

Advertisement