Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthquakes In Ireland and the UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Just got this off a friends page on facebook so not sure how reliable it is.

Mag 3.8 tremor in the English Channel about 20 miles SSE of the Lizard. 49.76 N ; 4.97 W.

18-01-2012 at 18:33

Depth 10 Km

Edit: No mention of this on the British Geological Survey Site.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Just got this off a friends page on facebook so not sure how reliable it is.

Mag 3.8 tremor in the English Channel about 20 miles SSE of the Lizard. 49.76 N ; 4.97 W.

18-01-2012 at 18:33

Depth 10 Km

Edit: No mention of this on the British Geological Survey Site.
    No mention on the USGS site either

Jake1 wrote: »

Also here.

http://www.emsc-csem.org/#2

http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=251490

This must be the strongest in a while around the UK isn't it ?

• Advertisement

Lots of chat about a tremor being felt in the Northwest last night around 1am. Anything showing on any seismographs?

It's all happening in the Northwest this week. Aurora sightings and now earth tremors. It's the Natural Sciences Capital of Ireland!!:)

Reports of an Earth tremor being felt in the Kerrykeel area of Co. Donegal tonight around 9.30pm. This would be on the Lenan Fault line. Same line as the 2.2mag tremor on the 26th Jan 2012. No details on the BGS site yet, but keep an eye out here for confirmation. http://earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

Minor earthquake in Co Donegal

The tremor had a magnitude of 1.1 and was recorded at 9.20pm in the Inishowen area.
    It was picked up by the British Geological Survey's equipment.This latest tremor was of a lesser magnitude than the quake felt in the north of the county on 26 January.
    It had a magnitude of 2.2 and was recorded in Buncrana.
    The largest quake to hit the country happened in 1951. The magnitude 3.7 tremor occurred sixteen kilometres off the shore of Co Wicklow on the east coast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A second one at 1.50am, never felt or heard anything here. Both felt nearby in Milford according to this

http://earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/recent_uk_events.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Buncranna is quite an active spot! http://www.laoisweather.com/wxquakeUK.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

What are the chances of a decently strong earthquake hitting Ireland?and have any big ones ever hit us in the past anywhere in Ireland? And what kind of scale of damage would we be talking about in somewhere quite populated such as Dublin after an earthquake of 5 or 6 on the richter scale hits? I'd imagine itd be catastrophic with so many old buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

bb1234567 wrote: »
    What are the chances of a decently strong earthquake hitting Ireland?and have any big ones ever hit us in the past anywhere in Ireland? And what kind of scale of damage would we be talking about in somewhere quite populated such as Dublin after an earthquake of 5 or 6 on the richter scale hits? I'd imagine itd be catastrophic with so many old buildings.

Hi bb,

The biggest quake to hit us recently was a 5.4 on the 19th of July in 1984. It hit at 7.57am, the epi centre was in Wales but to memory not much damage was caused bar stuff fell of the mantel piece in my house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

kittyn wrote: »
    Hi bb,

The biggest quake to hit us recently was a 5.4 on the 19th of July in 1984. It hit at 7.57am, the epi centre was in Wales but to memory not much damage was caused bar stuff fell of the mantel piece in my house :)

I remember that really well!! I thought that my mum was really shaking me but when I woke up (school hols) she was not there and my Howard Jones RECORD had fallen off my bookshelf.......
    No-one had a clue what was going on but it seemed to last a while (well, about 10 secs anyway.......)
    It was a really bizarre feeling - I can only imagine how scary a really big one would be........:eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Tremors reported in Mayo this morning. Felt it here myself. Was very light but definitely occured! nuts stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

yop wrote: »
    Tremors reported in Mayo this morning. Felt it here myself. Was very light but definitely occured! nuts stuff.

Lots of reports on radio earlier, some claiming cracked walls and chimneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

yop wrote: »

Yeah felt it here in Sligo town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

:eek: And a 4.0 ,If they get stronger in the future might have to be on tsunami alert:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Was weird feeling that, never experienced one before, if it was a big earthquake it must have been some feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Looks like close to the Corrib Gas site, wait just waiting for "shell to sea" row in.

uk.jpg.0

If it was in the sea then there may have been more damage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

4MAG

Hope ya enjoyed your rumble!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

redsunset wrote: »
    :eek: And a 4.0 ,If they get stronger in the future might have to be on tsunami alert:)
    I saw a programme on BBC 3 (or was it 4?) last night about a devastating tsunami in the Bristol Channel in 1607, the weather was fine at the time so it's not believed to have been a storm surge. The cause was probably an under sea 'quake :eek:
    http://www.burnham-on-sea.com/1607-flood.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Pretty sure I felt this in Newport this morning, thought it was a truck at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

have a friend in Belmullet who told me that he felt nothing but there was a noise like thunder off the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Going by the marine traffic, there was two ships in that location.
    I wonder if anyone has contacted them to see did they feel it, they must have, since they were bascially sitting on the epicentre.
    http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Apparently, it was meant to have knocked over a load of recently footed turf in some local bogs, now that would be annoying :D.

Advertisement