Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misspelt Irish road signs

Options
  • 05-07-2010 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd start this thread on misspelt Irish road signs. The translations for the Irish versions are very poor..

Considering that there's so many, it would be cool, if we could all share our favourites here!!

Mine is.. Garnimh - Which is supposed to be Galway..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Zú for the ZOO. There's no Z in the Irish alphabet, not least the one I learnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is it Lahinch or Lehinch as the county council obviously can't make up their mind!

Sorry OP, I'm trying to think of an example as gaelige

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moved from Literature (which is about literature - reading books and stuff:))

As it's about the poor standard of Irish translations on road signs, it could go to one of the commuting-style boards but probably most appropriate on the Irish board.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Féach anseo!

Also on Irish language board:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055954979

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Zoo can be called Gairdín na nAinmhithe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Edinduberdeen

trad wrote: »
    Zú for the ZOO. There's no Z in the Irish alphabet, not least the one I learnt.

There are in loan words.... like zú!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Is it Lahinch or Lehinch as the county council obviously can't make up their mind!

Sorry OP, I'm trying to think of an example as gaelige

Lehinch is the correct one. You'll find the official spellings of placenames in Ireland on www.logainm.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Theres a street in waterford,that has two signs within 50 yards of each other spelt differently. Kieser/Kyeser street. I think theres a place halfway down where you can see both of them at the same time.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

There are a good few in my neck of the woods. :(

'Bóthar dunte' at a roadworks site in the middle of Dún Laoghaire (which itself is written in so many different ways)

Cliain Seach for Clonskeagh; shouldn't it be Cluain?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

craoltoir wrote: »
    Zoo can be called Gairdín na nAinmhithe

I think that is what it says on the signposts in Phoenix Park. :)
    But when I was in school (fadó..), I remember seeing "Zú" in my primary book. I definitely remember we had to sing a song about going to the Zú. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement