Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps nest removal

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭jmreire

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Hi,

I just noticed in my wooden shed today what I assumed was a nest. About the size of a golf ball, maybe slightly bigger. Didn't see anything around it but looks pretty clean so I assume it's recent. Though can't say I've seen many wasps. Any suggestions?

I have already removed two of them, just like your's. Wait until late evening, the get a large glass jar ( Jam Jar) and a wide paint scraper ( as wide as the neck of the jar ) Place the jar over the nest, and insert the blade between the roof and the nest, severing it so it fall's into the jar. Place the jar on a level surface, still covered with the blade, put a weight on the blade to keep it in place, and that's it. Job done.

Hi,

I just noticed in my wooden shed today what I assumed was a nest. About the size of a golf ball, maybe slightly bigger. Didn't see anything around it but looks pretty clean so I assume it's recent. Though can't say I've seen many wasps. Any suggestions?

Active nests can be a lot bigger than that at this time of year, small football or larger. Treat one that size with extreme caution.

I'd suspect that yours might have been an embryo nest that was abandoned earlier in the year.

Wasps are a real nuisance at present, but nests will die out in the autumn and wont be used again next year.

Thats a solitary wasps nest .
    I used to think they were the start of bigger ones but a chat with a beekeeper recently set me straight.
    I've seen loads of them over the years in attics.
    Seen 2/3 in my own attic recently .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thanks for the advice. The fact I haven't noticed any wasps around makes me think I can leave it. The main reason I wanted to get rid of it is I wouldn't want to risk getting attacked while just getting the lawnmower out. But if nothing has happened by now, I'd say I'm grand. And seems by leaving it, it acts as a deterrent to future wasp nests in the same area.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thanks for the advice. The fact I haven't noticed any wasps around makes me think I can leave it. The main reason I wanted to get rid of it is I wouldn't want to risk getting attacked while just getting the lawnmower out. But if nothing has happened by now, I'd say I'm grand. And seems by leaving it, it acts as a deterrent to future wasp nests in the same area.

It doesn't act as a deterrent at all.

Remove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

I have a clump of small willow trees in the garden, I notice a lot of wasps around the base of two of the trees the other night.

It seems odd that there are two trees beside each other that both have a lot of activity and most of it s i on on the ground. There is also some sort of black residue underneath some of the willow branches on those trees and not on the others?

I don't see a nest, could they be nesting underground? Could I have two nest beside each other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Yep they do go underground and in banks. Great way to get rid of them (only if they are a danger) is to put a couple of grass boxes of fine grass clippings over the entrance.

Advertisement