Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB Radio in Galway

Options
  • 03-07-2010 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was wondering if it was worth it to buy a HI FI with DAB Radio?

I gather that the RTE channels are nationwide, but not sure about anything else really.

Does anyone in Galway have one? What kind of channels are available?

Any advice would be great!

Cheers

Murf
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

f1dan wrote: »
    I don't know if hobby radio is really that similar to listening to DAB...

@murf, last I heard, you couldn't receive DAB in Galway. It was last year that I heard that, so there may have been developments since.

EDIT: http://www.digitalradio.ie/coverage.htm
    RTÉ has indicated to the Department of Communications that it will have a DAB network covering the South East corridor, making DAB accessible to 52% of the population, by the end of 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

I saw a DAB radio with ipod dock in Tesco this week reduced to around 25euro, might be an inexpensive way of discovering if it works in Galway. If not, at least you have an ipod dock!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭murfinho

@murf, last I heard, you couldn't receive DAB in Galway. It was last year that I heard that, so there may have been developments since.

EDIT: http://www.digitalradio.ie/coverage.htm

Yeah i did a bit of digging on that site, but couldn't see how up-top-date it was, a lot of that stuff is 3 or 4 years old in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

The DAB broadcast network is only currently available in three main urban areas of the country – Dublin, Cork & Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Slightly off topic, but can we receive RTE's digital tv service in Galway.

not sure, but from reading up on the DAB stuff, i noticed that a lot of people said they got it when in the DAB areas (on forums etc.), so I'd say they're linked, but not sure.

I'm pretty sure there is absolutely no link between the two.

I'm pretty sure there is absolutely no link between the two.

That throws some well aimed water on my paper bag of a theory !! :D

Ordered a sony box today that has DAB, so will find out in 10 days or so!

(just found out that Amazon deliver electronics to EIRE now, saved a packet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Recently purchased the Sony NAS E300HD, which has DAB functionality as an added feature. It doesn't pick up anything here in Galway though.

• Advertisement

murfinho wrote: »
    That throws some well aimed water on my paper bag of a theory !! :D
    It's just that it seems to me that they are transmitted in complete different ways through networks that would have little in common with each other.

Lucifer31 wrote: »
    Recently purchased the Sony NAS E300HD, which has DAB functionality as an added feature. It doesn't pick up anything here in Galway though.
    That settles it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Yes, The transmitter at Maghera covers Much of Clare, Galway and Mayo.

There is also some testing in recent month of DTT from Tonabrucky on the west side of the city.

Lucifer31 wrote: »
    That's what I got too, looking forward to its arrival!
    That settles it I suppose.

I'd say so to, and further...

Just got this email back from Digital Radio aswell:
    Hi there,
    Many thanks for your email.
    RTÉ has indicated to the Department of Communications that it will have a DAB network covering the South East corridor, making DAB accessible to 52% of the population, by the end of 2010. The national broadcaster has stated that it will not proceed any further with national roll-out until regulatory structures and roll-out plans are in place for Ireland’s commercial broadcasters. In the meantime radio listeners nationwide can hear RTÉ’s 6 new digital-only services nationwide online at rte.ie/digitalradio. You can download a copy of the current coverage map here http://www.digitalradio.ie/images/DAB_Dec09_hiRes.jpg

digitalRadio.ie will keep you informed of any digital radio coverage and regulatory developments.

Kind regards

Digitalradio.ie

They copy/pasted what it says on the site I linked you to. It probably has said that for years. :rolleyes:

They copy/pasted what it says on the site I linked you to. It probably has said that for years. :rolleyes:

yeah noticed that, but looks like they are tied up in the red tape that is ireland!!
    :D could be a while before i get a decent channel on my new dab box!!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

I think i get the RTE DAB stations in the car until just before the shannon when I'm coming from Dublin and until I'm nearly in Limerick when travelling from Cork.

I don't get any DAB stations in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

Any update on the DAB situation in Galway? I'm tempted to buy a digital radio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Analogue FM sounds better than DAB which is not Hi - Fi by any standards. If they would kindly roll out DAB+ I will then buy a Digital radio...maybe.

So is normal DAB working in Galway then?

• Advertisement

No and I doubt it ever will.

If I have a wireless broadband connection in the house though, can the radio then receive stations?

Eh?? :p wifi does not transmit dab .

get an Internet radio like the Roberts one, the sound quality is around the same as DAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Get the acoustic energy, they make some of the worlds best speakers, large and small.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000EQGUCW/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&condition=all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Cheers Sponge_Bob, I'll definitely look into them. If they play internet radio and can connect to my music on my NAS drive then I'll get them. Thanks

Advertisement