Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To run 2.4 km in 9 mins - how to do it?

• 03-07-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Rights so, a fitness test i may have within the next year requires this level of fitness.

AS it is, i am running about 5km three times a week at the moment, and going to the gym, (I often do some HIIT on the rowing machine, 250m sprints with a 1 min rest X8) as well as a reasonably intense weight training programme

What i need to know, is how can i tailor my regime more efficiently, to reach this goal. It's quite a high bar to reach i understand, but it must be achievable in a few months of dedication. I am also unemployed, so its not like time is an issue.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

It's not as hard as you may think. Try running on a treadmill for 10 minutes at 14kmph and as you get used to the speed up the pace by .2kmph in a couple of months you'll be able to run 2.4kms in 9 mins.

If running at a set pace of 14kmph is to fast start at 13, 12 etc... Once you can run at that speed/pace try running out doors and see how you do. If you've got a phone with gps try down loading sportypal to help monitor and analyse your out door running. Its free and will help you track your progress.

www.sportypal.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

its very achievable. would it be a fitness test for the army cadets?? or the Gardai?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Paras?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

British army actually. It exceeds the minimum requirements, - I would be trying to get noticed if I do go. It is the Minimum for the Paras I believe.

I hate treadmills, all my running is done in the "real world". The air is fresher up here near the Dublin mountains anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

whilst i appreciate that you wanna get in, and i also admire your goals, now take this a you would like dont go runnin in with a "look at me, look at me" attitude just my 2c

• Advertisement

newby.204 wrote: »
    whilst i appreciate that you wanna get in, and i also admire your goals, now take this a you would like dont go runnin in with a "look at me, look at me" attitude just my 2c

Not at all, I hear it can shorten the time taken to get the acceptance process started. Remember, i would be up against Territorial army guys and so on, and I would be a civvie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

then beast yourself i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

training with someone who is faster than you is a good way to improve your times IMO

As I thought, best of luck it can be done. Fartlegs seem to be a popular method of increasing your speeds.

When I was doing my own kind of BFT(yes I'm ancient) last year I managed to improve my times drastically to about 11ish minutes, happy with that. Whats your 1.5 mile time now?

just did 2.4 km in 10 mins 27 secs, and I am ruined. Lot of room for improvement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Waestrel wrote: »
    just did 2.4 km in 10 mins 27 secs, and I am ruined. Lot of room for improvement

Nothing wrong with that at all mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

2.4km, starnge distance; do you mean 1.5 miles?

menoscemo wrote: »
    2.4km, starnge distance; do you mean 1.5 miles?

yeah, It's the same thing. just trying to modernise

yeah, It's the same thing. just trying to modernise

Don't want to be pedantoc but it's not actually.
    That extra 14 metres could be crucial (3-4seconds).

No it wouldn't. 3-4 secs maybe if he was crawling on his hands and knees.

10:27 is a very acceptable time for a 1.5 miler. These are all baseline of course, your time and fitness will improve during your training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I know this the Fitness forum, but this is a running test, so I'd advise you to post in the ART forum. In particular, you might PM a user called Tergat, who in my opinion, is the most knowledgeable user on boards about this kind of stuff.

Anyways, here is a coaching resource chock-full of info on middle-distance training, which is what you'll need. Good luck with the test. The Irish Army used to use this test (they've since changed it) and the pass time was 11:30, so 9:00 is very tough, but based on your current time, well achievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Why Should I

British army actually. It exceeds the minimum requirements, - I would be trying to get noticed if I do go. It is the Minimum for the Paras I believe.

I hate treadmills, all my running is done in the "real world". The air is fresher up here near the Dublin mountains anyway

Hi mate,

If you are going to be doing ADSC in Belfast you would want to be doing the 2.4k in 8 mins.

The track is not flat, In fact its far from it, Its 3 laps around lose stones and hills.

It will add 30-60 seconds to your normal time.

So keep that in mind

Hi mate,

If you are going to be doing ADSC in Belfast you would want to be doing the 2.4k in 8 mins.

The track is not flat, In fact its far from it, Its 3 laps around lose stones and hills.

It will add 30-60 seconds to your normal time.

So keep that in mind

Yeah, clearly lots of room for improvement.

I'm thinking some sprints on the rowing machine might help with the fitness, and also save damaging my legs from road running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Temp locking this because I'm running (will unlock later). I'll be back in a bit or one of the other mods can clean it up. Digme....on initial inspection things look bad for you and your smart holed remarks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi All

I have deleted a number of posts from this thread because they were inappropriate, argumentative or off topic.

The orininal post asked for advice on tailoring training to meet the goal of running 2.4km in a certain time. Lets keep on topic, shall we.

Best Regards,

M

• Advertisement

iceage wrote: »
    No it wouldn't. 3-4 secs maybe if he was crawling on his hands and knees.

10:27 is a very acceptable time for a 1.5 miler. These are all baseline of course, your time and fitness will improve during your training.

You are plain wrong. If Op is travelling 2400m in 627seconds (10:27) he is going at 3.8m/sec. So those extra 14 meters will take him 3.68 seconds ;)

OP, as suggested previously, you would be best posting this on the A/R/T forum, there are a number of high standard Middle distance runners over there who could help. I think a combination of long slow runs (maybe 1hr + for endurance) and some speed specific workouts (such as 10-15 x 200m or 5-7 x 400m at goal pace with short recoveries in between) will help you towards your goal. Maybe find a running track for ease of training? Goal pace would be approximately 90 seconds per 400m or 45 seconds per 200m As you improve, take less and less recovery between reps.

okay, i asked in the triathalon forum, mods can close this is they see fit, no need for 2 of the same topics.

thanks guys

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement