Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best fantasy author

Options
  • 30-06-2010 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

GRRM?
    Jordan?
    Hobb?
    Tolkien?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

I would add Raymond E Feist to that list.

Wasn't a fan of Hobb and am on my first Grrm book so I can't say much bout him.

David Gemmell is nice as a light read too

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭H. Flashman

All you need to know about grrm is the g stands for god

I have enjoyed what I have read so far alright and I am only half way through so I'm looking forward to it getting better(Reading a game of thrones atm)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Connavar wrote: »
    I have enjoyed what I have read so far alright and I am only half way through so I'm looking forward to it getting better(Reading a game of thrones atm)

Enjoy it cos you're going to be waiting for his next one. Not like feist who drops one every year around Jan or so!

lordgoat wrote: »
    Enjoy it cos you're going to be waiting for his next one. Not like feist who drops one every year around Jan or so!

Don't worry, I'm a very slow reader and am only on his first so that won't be a problem for me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 thebadmonkey

Gemmell, Feist, Dan Abnett, Cornwell

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

lordgoat wrote: »
    Barbara Cartland throws them out fairly regularly too. ;)

GRRM has an brilliant anthology Dreamsongs, for those who need more.
    All his Sci-fi and Fantasy novellas and short stories, and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 musiccollab

personally favourites are

Jordan
    Goodkind
    Tolkien

and i know not fantasy but Ian M Banks knows how to write a book or ten ;)

personally favourites are

Jordan
    Goodkind
    Tolkien

and i know not fantasy but Ian M Banks knows how to write a book or ten ;)

Three authors i would gladly never hear of again. Huge winding series that go nowhere for the first two. Goodkind's personal agendas are amusing in how badly they're done with an unashamed lack of subtlety.

Tolkien doesn't do it for me, long flowerly chapters filled with unnecessary ramble. Like that waster that sings songs chapters at a time. I can't recommend the OP to avoid these three like the plague. The actual plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

Tolkien definitely is top, some chapters in LOTR do ramble but I think that's part of it's charm, as a book I personally don't think it can be topped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,059 ✭✭✭✭looksee

LOTR is an amazing book, especially given the time it was written. It has not dated at all, it could have been written in the last decade. However I have to agree that it does go on a bit, too many characters with several names, and the songs are excess to requirements. I read it many years ago, and enjoyed it, but I have never been able to get through it again.

I'm stuck for something to read at the moment, so yet again I am back to Feist's Magician. I like some of Robin Hobb too, the Liveship Traders is one, though some of the others are a bit endless. Jordon and Goodkind I have tried, but they go on and on....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Raymond E Fiest and Janny Wurth collaborated on Daughter of the Empire series which i found as good as Magician.
    Also enjoyed Stormcaller by Tom Lloyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Although not as well known as those already named,you can't have a list of best fantasy authors without including Tim Powers.
    Timothy Thomas Powers is an American science fiction and fantasy author. Powers has won the World Fantasy Award twice for his critically acclaimed novels Last Call and Declare.

Most of Powers's novels are "secret histories": he uses actual, documented historical events featuring famous people, but shows another view of them in which occult or supernatural factors heavily influence the motivations and actions of the characters.

On stranger Tides
    The Anubis Gates
    The Drawing of the Dark

3 0f my favourites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Powers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

For me, it has got to be Feist. The Riftwar Saga had me glued to the books from start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DualBladez

Improbable wrote: »
    For me, it has got to be Feist. The Riftwar Saga had me glued to the books from start to finish.

same tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

Never read it, must look out for it next time I'm in town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 whamuel

He's not the best prose writer in the world, but I think Lloyd Alexander's books are solid fantasy. They would make for an excellent animated TV series (since that would cut out some of the fluff language).

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Have I really not seen any mention of Philip Pullman? His Dark Materials is one of the most amazing things I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Tolkien without a doubt! That guy was a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Steven Ericson FTW!!!!!!
    Michael Scott Rohan (Winter of the world)
    Terry Pratchet :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Robin Hobb - Very character-focused fantasy
    Stephen Erickson - Epic complex fantasy
    China Miéville - Not the most immediately accessible fantasy author, but one of the most innovative out there right now. They created the "new weird" fantasy sub-genre just for him.
    lordgoat wrote:
    Goodkind's personal agendas are amusing in how badly they're done with an unashamed lack of subtlety.
    Agreed. He seems to be at the hard-right of US foreign policy and it's thinly disguised in his novels. That'd be okay if they were any good... but they're not.

Also agreed on Robert Jordan - I'm on Book 12 and it seemed to take another author to finally beginning wrapping the damn thing up.

ixoy wrote: »

Agreed. He seems to be at the hard-right of US foreign policy and it's thinly disguised in his novels. That'd be okay if they were any good... but they're not.

Also agreed on Robert Jordan - I'm on Book 12 and it seemed to take another author to finally beginning wrapping the damn thing up.

I like him in a Jim Corr type of way! As an author i'd have him up there with DAn Brown...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I think that Tolkien was aiming for something different to a "pageturner" of a fantasy book; he was trying to recreate the mythic legends of the Celts etc etc. Hence the intricate and intense histories and the amazing depth of his world. A lot of criticism that's levelled at him fails to appreciate this point, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I love Neil Gaiman and Gregory Maguire.

Not pushed on Tolkein. The Hobbit I liked, LOTR I didn't. Can't speak for Pratchett as I've only read one and that was at least ten years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GisforGrenade

Steven Erickson, his Malazan series is truly epic but don't lose sight of the most important part of story, the characters. George R R Martin because of all the lovely political back stabbing and a fantasy world that you swear was real. Gene Wolfe because his novels are so atmospheric and subtle, you have to read ever passage twice to fully appreciate it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have I really not seen any mention of Philip Pullman? His Dark Materials is one of the most amazing things I've ever read.
    Best Fantasy Book(s) - quite possibly!

Best Fantasy Author? With all respect, I think he needs a few more books of merit under his belt to to really compete for that honour. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

tad williams for me

memory,sorrow & thorn was absolutely fantastic, and his otherland series (might be classes as sci fi but has more than enough fantasy for me) is just wonderful.

I've heard allot of promising things about Steven Erickson but have never read anything by him. Is his Malazan series worth the effort? I mean by the looks of it we're almost talking 'wheel of time' type investment of hours to get through it .....

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GisforGrenade

Steven Erickson is extremely prolific but the end is in sight, the tenth book which out in the next few months is the last book in the Malazan series, the Malazan world was created by Steven Erickson and Ian Esslemont as a setting for their rpg campaign so there are also five novels by Ian Esslemont in the same setting, so 15 books in total but that is it. A massive long running series is only worthwhile if there is actually an end. To be honest every Steven Erickson book is brilliant in its own right, there is of course the massive overarching plot and characters that crop up again and again, but every novel has new points of view and different locations so they can be taken on its own merits. It's a very long series but it most definitely worth it.

• Advertisement

I think I'll give it a shot!

Advertisement