Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court orders demolition of family home.

Options
  • 29-06-2010 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

"The High Court has ordered the demolition within two years of the two-storey home of a couple and their three children in Co Meath built by them after Meath County Council refused planning permission for a house half its size.

Michael and Rose Murray, who have lived in the house at Faughan Hill, Bohermeen, near Navan, since December 2006, had pleaded against the demolition order".

If I were him I would walk away from it and let the travellers move in, he was refused planning before on the same site for a house half that size. land without planning permission wouldn't be worth a fcuk and would cost heaps to knock it and clear the rubble.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0629/breaking42.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Did they think they were above the law or something?

Level of sympathy = zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

the council became aware a large house of some 588 square metres (6,229 sq feet) had been built on the lands and the Murrays were living there
    “a very large and imposing stone clad two-storey dwelling house with a curved drive leading up to it and extensive laws in front of it”

Tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why did he build it when he was refused permission? Staggering arrogance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

I know what they did was wrong but I feel very sorry for them. It's a bit unfair and such a waste of a house. We put up with terrible crap with planning when we were building our home so I can understand their frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

I don't feel sorry for the eeejit that decides to go ahead building the house even though he was refused but i do feel sorry for the children having to suffer from the stupidity of their parents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Sulmac wrote: »
    Did they think they were above the law or something?

Level of sympathy = zero.

Sometimes the law can be an ass. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

My thoughts are the same as those re. the guy in Britain who built a castle covertly and was then told to knock it down.

i.e. no sympathy.

If you're refused planning permission and then go ahead and build something twice the size as those refused plans, you're just goading for trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

mariaf24 wrote: »
    It's a bit unfair and such a waste of a house.

and it's all their own fault LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Sometimes the law can be an ass. :p

And quite often those who break the law are asses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I'm not sure at what point "turned down planning for a house on this site... to hell with it I'll build one twice as big!" could ever have seemed like a good idea.

This isn't the first time this has happened.

Lesson: if you don't get permission, don't build it, if you really want to waste your money have a bonfire with it instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I bet the reasoning was build it anyway and apply for retention.

Its a waste of a house thats probably much better built that a lot of the ****e around but I have zero sympathy for the guy

Of course, it'll be appealed upwards and not have to be knocked in the end...

The Shtig wrote: »
    I don't feel sorry for the eeejit that decides to go ahead building the house even though he was refused but i do feel sorry for the children having to suffer from the stupidity of their parents.

Every kid has to suffer from the stupidity of their parents. Such is life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Court orders demolition of family home House.

Fixed your thread Title..............

If I were him I would walk away from it and let the travellers move in
    Not a bad idea on paper but ultimately.........
    and without planning permission wouldn't be worth a fcuk and would cost heaps to knock it and clear the rubble.
    Which I believe he can be held liable for if the council end up doing the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I dont understand how you can have zero sympathy for a family having to demolish their home?:confused:

Yes, he was stupid, but a sizeable charity donation or community service would serve more purpose than the cost of knocking it down etc.

There's far bigger crooks in this counrty than this fella who are getting away with a lot worse...

Again,I do have sympathy for anyone with 3 children who will have to knock their family home. I would consider that very traumatising for children. Surely a severe fine or something else could have been done.
    On another note, I always believed that in order to get ESB you needed to prove planning permission? I would agree that the only way they built it was with applying for retention in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

I dont understand how you can have zero sympathy for a family having to demolish their home?:confused:

Yes, he was stupid, but a sizeable charity donation or community service would serve more purpose than the cost of knocking it down etc.

There's far bigger crooks in this counrty than this fella who are getting away with a lot worse...

If they let them get away with it, it would set a precedent whereby anyone who wanted to could build a house anywhere if they could afford a fine/donation or had the time for community service.

It's a classic "floodgates" argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Building without permission is breaking the law, sticking two fingers up to the law by building a structure twice the size of the one you got turned down for doesn't score you bonus points in court.
    Refusing to comply with a court order to demolish can result in this. It doesn't matter if it's a house or a shed.

Sulmac wrote: »
    If they let them get away with it, it would set a precedent whereby anyone who wanted to could build a house anywhere if they could afford a fine/donation or had the time for community service.

It's a classic "floodgates" argument.

With the state of the economy and so many vacant houses in the country It would be more a trickle than a floodgate.

I can't understand why a decent family who want to build a home and pay a mortgage face such ridiculous planning restrictions in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Maybe it will stop people from doing it in future? Why should people get away with a fine just because there is worse laws being broken. Its their own fault, they only did it because they thought they would get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I can't understand why a decent family who want to build a home and pay a mortgage face such ridiculous planning restrictions in the first place.

Yes we should just build where ever the hell we like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

who would go in and knock this house?they would want to be very stuck for a days wages.i live not too far away from this house and my own belief is it will never be demolished,he locals will do everything in there power to frustrate demolition work commencing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I can't understand why a decent family
    Know them personally do we ?
    who want to build a home and pay a mortgage face such ridiculous planning restrictions in the first place.
    Thats right. Just let people build anywhere. See how well that works out
    who would go in and knock this house? they would want to be very stuck for a days wages
    400,000-odd people spring to mind.........

Why? Because decency & the ability to get a bank loan should be the only obstructions to building whatever the hell you like?

Nice logic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

There's nothing 'decent' about being pricks and breaking the restrictions by building a house TWICE THE SIZE. That's a serious "f*k you" if ever I heard one.

Yes we should just build where ever the hell we like.

I meant general restrictions, i have a list here, to the size of our kitchen windows to the distance from the door to the stairs.

According to 6/1 news he is currently barely able to find work and was given 2 years to remove the property. The state will probably end up having to house himand his family at taxpayers expense.

I meant general restrictions, i have a list here, to the size of our kitchen windows to the distance from the door to the stairs.

Sounds like a big list. I hope you have planning for that. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Perhaps the brown envelope didn't have enough cash in it. It's always a problem knowing how much to give them. You win some, you lose some.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement