Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone remember Dino Crisis?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

It was a christmas morning 1999, I was only 9 years old and as I tore the wrapping paper away it revealed a game that has never left my memory - Dino Crisis. This game was my favourite on PSX that is until the quite superb Dino Crisis 2 came out.

It took over the playstation for nearly 2 years even though I had beaten it the same day I got it in 4 hours. Considered retro games now they had a huge impact on my childhood and always remember having good memories with my mates playing it and showing it off.

Anyone remember it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Hell yeah i remember it. I played it a ridiculous amount.

I was never big into res evil so Dino Crisis filled that void...

Ah memories

screenshot3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Played it but to my detriment never completed it. Was just Res Evil with dinosaurs.......but still awesome!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"This game contains scenes of graphic violence and gore"

Ah, nostalgia.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,873 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dino Crisis 1 and 2 have been on my too play list since they were released. Heard the first one is quite good but the second game is just superb and is more a precursor to devil may cry than a resi clone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Remember them? Christ I'm getting old :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Yes, didn't enjoy playing the first one though for whatever reason. Preferred Resi and Parasite Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gibson-les-rick

10 years old already.. Hard to believe considering I can remember getting DC2 in GAME at the time, bout 20 pounds ahh memories:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Have the first on me PS3 (from the US PSN) and hoping for thesecond sometime soon, twas a great game, dumped the more resi style survival horror and went straight out for action, combo chains and some ridiculously fun guns.

Plus, bonus dino vs dino MP game....whats not to like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I remember it well, as Resi Evil is my favourite game series I was eagerly antisipating it befor release and overall absolutely loved it. I remember it had plenty of set pieces including ones with the T-Rex and I vaguely remember mixing tranquilisers and having to conserve ammo a lot. I remember the access cards/keycards etc looked similar at times and a fair bit of backtracking but this just made the game much more challenging then Resi 2/3. Regina with her cool red hair was a great character.

Dino Crisis 2 was a good sequel but a COMPLETELY different game, just like the way Alien is a horror film while Aliens is an action film. Their was pretty much no puzzles in it but it had a lot more action in it, overall not as good as the first.

Played Dino crisis 3 on a friends xbox and was a bit disappointed although I didn't really give it a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Played the first one on the Dreamcast to completion. It was one of those PS1 games that got an "overhaul" for the DC. Thought it was average at best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Never thought much of the first one tbh, I guess the scant ammo put me off towards the end. It can work in Resident Evil, but in a game where the dinos follow you to the next room it gets pretty damn frustrating!

DC2 on the other hand was absolutely fantastic, one of my favourite games from the PS1 era

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

loved the game - multiple endings - intense moments with raptors smashing through roofs/windows - Also the shotgun/darts mechanic was cool - encouraged you to incapacitate dinos rather then just leaving bloody carcasses everywhere

DC1 had some very good puzzles too - unlike the incredibly cryptic "use everything on everything" resident evil puzzles it usually involved cracking codes or remembering sequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

What awesome games.

I remember seeing Dino Crisis 3 and it was set in space, was it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

robby^5 wrote: »
    What awesome games.

It was laughably poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,547 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

gizmo wrote: »
    Remember them? Christ I'm getting old :(

FFS! It's not THAT long ago!

I can remember renting Jurassic Park on the NES. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

o1s1n wrote: »

I had it on the Amiga.

Bastard hard game, the level set on a cliff with falling rocks always got me. I never managed to reach the promised FPS sections (except for one short bit near the start of the game with no enemies) :(

Master of the Universe

You had an Amiga? You fancy spoiled git :p

Always wanted one myself but couldn't afford it. A mate had one. Always blew my mind as to how many games he had on floppy disks. Wondered how he ever left the house.

I don't remember if the NES version had an FPS section. I doubt it. Can remember the Snes one though. Think it runs about 5fps! Motion sickness to the max. Must try it out when I go home.

As for Dino Crisis, to my shame, I've never played either. I always meant to buy the first after playing a demo when it came out. Never got around to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Nah, I mean the idea of "remembering" something that was only a few years ago, it makes me feel all old compare to these youngsters. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

You had an Amiga? You fancy spoiled git :p

Always wanted one myself but couldn't afford it. A mate had one. Always blew my mind as to how many games he had on floppy disks. Wondered how he ever left the house.

I don't remember if the NES version had an FPS section. I doubt it. Can remember the Snes one though. Think it runs about 5fps! Motion sickness to the max. Must try it out when I go home.

As for Dino Crisis, to my shame, I've never played either. I always meant to buy the first after playing a demo when it came out. Never got around to it though.

Same sort of game as it was on the NES, except more.........depressing.

I bought my Amiga A500+ from a dodgy student type for £80 of my communion money, it was a bit of a leap from the Amstrad CPC464 I had at the time :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

that fps section made me laugh... shame how i never had a console like this xD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,263 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Christ that looks about a 100X better than what my trust C64 was capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I loved Dino Crisis. Resident Evil with dinosaurs, what's not to like? I downloaded it from the US PSN, only played it a bit though, I remember everything a bit too clearly from the last time I played through (ten years ago now!).

2 was a very different game, but seriously fun. I remember running around with dual MP5s, racking up kills. It end on a
    cliffhanger though, has it ever been resolved?
    robby^5 wrote: »

It looks pretty poor and doesn't have any obvious connection to the previous games. Can anyone give more details?

I remember there was a Regina costume for Jill in Resident Evil 3, I'd like to see Regina make a comeback!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,324 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i loved the first one as i love the Resi Evil games but couldn't get into the 2nd as i was expecting more of the same survival horror fun but it was too actiony for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I had them both on my PS1 but they've since become too damaged to play, so I ave them both on my PC! I downloaded the PC version of Dino Crisis 1 and emulate the second. Both pretty amazing. I had more fun with Resident Evil 2 and 3 but they can still hold their own to this day, especially Dino Crisis 2. Totally different to the first but still amazing. Hard mode on it is pretty hard and the Dino Colosseum you got when you completed the game was great craic! You could play as most of the dinosaurs in the game in it! :D

Master of the Universe

Speaking of Dinosaurs, do you guys remember the T-rex/Manta ray tech demos that came on a ps1 demo disc?

I loved them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

noodler wrote: »
    Christ that looks about a 100X better than what my trust C64 was capable of.

Ah yeah but did the fancy console have Last Ninja II available? I think not! :D

Also, 1999? I was in the second year of my PhD then :( I'm old :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,263 ✭✭✭✭noodler

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Ah yeah but did the fancy console have Last Ninja II available? I think not! :D

Also, 1999? I was in the second year of my PhD then :( I'm old :(

You are - it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Oh how I loved Dino Crisis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Speaking of Dinosaurs, do you guys remember the T-rex/Manta ray tech demos that came on a ps1 demo disc?

I loved them!

The t-rex one was brilliant, i used to love watching that thing walk around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

great games.

annoyed me no end that we never got the third one on the ps1 (or 2 for that matter) as the cliff hanger of the second was great.

in fact that storyline was what i liked most about the games. theyre great shooters/puzzlers dont get me wrong but it was a great little sci fi story too . from what i heard the third was a load of bollocks anyway and didnt resolve it, but i still remember fondly how involved i got with those games.

shame we dont get more like em TBH.

Advertisement