Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brasher

The most useable firmware is JP2. JP3 is difficult to root and the lag fix doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm seeing a lost of potential issues with that ROM. I think I'll just stick with the one on it until there's a good Vanilla ROM.

My main issue currently is that I can't use my Wiimote with the Market app. Is there any way around that with a rooted phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Ok so my biggest complaint right now is the lag between pressing the "phone" button and when the phone actually comes up to use.

What can I do to fix that?

Upgrade to that official froyo as per the other thread. The lag fix mentioned earlier for rooted phones did a great job on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Yeah, to be perfectly honest that thread doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'll probably get my friend to show me how to do that. Don't really know my way around the phone yet.

• Advertisement

It's not that difficult. Getting Windows to recognise the phone is the hardest part. I had to install the Samsung PC suite before Windows would pick it up properly. Once it's rooted, you just download the lag fix app from the marketplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I have bought one today :D just waiting for three to get me connected (hopefully in the next 10 mins!) - loving the phone so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Bloke in work got one of these and asked me whats the best app killer/task manager to get on it. (his battery is not lasting and he thinks it's apps not closing down)
    I don't use android so I don't really know... Anyone have suggestions?

I had wondered too as I haven't figured out how to close the apps, is there a task manager?

Just trying advanced task killer, seemed to work!

There's a task manager built into the Galaxy!!! Its on the home screen by default!

I have to say I'm really liking the Galaxy. The first android phone where I'd nearly go for it over the iPhone for web browsing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

i use an app called quit it but you could use advanced task killer too

i only got my phone last thursday and i had to send it back yesterday to get the screen replaced i dropped it from my knee to the floor and it smashed into a million pieces thank god i took the insurance

What internet browser are you all using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Is there any app, or icon pack, you can use to change the default layout of the menu and icons? (Have to say it does look a bit similar to iphone layout)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Is there any app, or icon pack, you can use to change the default layout of the menu and icons? (Have to say it does look a bit similar to iphone layout)

Launcher pro is one.

I have this phone with three. I am still a bit weary of the network though, I sometimes see this phone go down to 1 bar or even at times no bars :eek: anyone else have issues like this?

Just been playing around with it, I am convinced this phone suffers from the same issues as the iphone 4. The signal is down the bottom, if I hold it near there (which is the natural position) I go to either no bars or 1 bar, if i hold it near the top, I get 4/5 bars.. anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

angel01 wrote: »
    I have this phone with three. I am still a bit weary of the network though, I sometimes see this phone go down to 1 bar or even at times no bars :eek: anyone else have issues like this?

Just been playing around with it, I am convinced this phone suffers from the same issues as the iphone 4. The signal is down the bottom, if I hold it near there (which is the natural position) I go to either no bars or 1 bar, if i hold it near the top, I get 4/5 bars.. anyone else notice this?

The iphone problem was that when holding it you're hand created a connection between the two antennas. By putting something over the antennas, such as a case, your skin could no longer create a connection between the two of them and thus the problem is fixed.

It is not possible for the SGS to have this issue as the antenna is underneath plastic which will insulate it from your hand.

ADW is the way to go. I've tried lots of different home screen apps and its by far my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Folks, lterally got this phone an hour ago when I arrived back in from a hard days slog!

Jus synced iPhone contacts with outlook, now how the heck do I ge them onto the Galaxy please???

Nice phone btw, Guckys impressed so far......

Export the Outlook contacts to a .pst(?) file. Import that into your Google contacts via Gmail.com. Login with your google account and sync contacts.

Badda bing! All done!

Frustrated with 3, keeps telling me I am roaming when I am not :rolleyes: and i have no data access, only way to get it back is to manually select network again..:(

Where is the task manager on this phone in order to close apps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

angel01, are you on Android 2.1 or did you upgrade to 2.2?

2.1 - try 'Advanced Task Manager'
    2.2 - there's one on the home screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

I had wondered too as I haven't figured out how to close the apps, is there a task manager?

Just trying advanced task killer, seemed to work!
    The task Manager that comes with the Galaxy, accessed by a long press of the middle button, is fairly basic and not up to much really. I downloaded Task Killer from the marketplace (free) and find it is much more effective, listing every task running and allowing you to select multiple apps and kill them with a single button.
    JustinOval wrote: »
    Launcher pro is one.
    +1 for LauncherPro. The standard version is free but I reckon it is well worth paying $2.99 for the full version.

angel01, are you on Android 2.1 or did you upgrade to 2.2?

2.1 - try 'Advanced Task Manager'
    2.2 - there's one on the home screen.

I am on 2.1

They told me the phone needs to be returned :(

No data access while roaming on Vodafone?

I didn't think three had GSM data roaming...

Scratch that, just changed manually to GSM and I'm data roaming ok :)
    I am on 2.1

They told me the phone needs to be returned :(

No data access while roaming on Vodafone?

I didn't think three had GSM data roaming...

No I have none. I have to manually search for 3 and then I get back online. Do they have no 2g data?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

mathew wrote: »
    It is not possible for the SGS to have this issue as the antenna is underneath plastic which will insulate it from your hand.

I can 100% confirm I have this issue too. If I hold it by the bottom left corner, I will almost always lose 2 - 3 bars reception. Not a huge problem as I don't normally hold it this way.

On the subject of issues: anyone having trouble with their micro USB connector. I'm finding I have to push the cable around to get a proper USB connection sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

There may well be an issue with signal and holding it a certain way. But it is not the same issue as the iphone 4. It is not possible to short the antenna when it is encased in plastic. Some other phenomenon is causing the signal to drop when you hold it that way.

What are really good games from the market?

Angry Birds :)

"...Update: As a result of the huge response to the news of the upcoming beta release Rovio has decided to just release the Angry Birds Lite beta into the Market on Friday."
    What are really good games from the market?

Angry Birds :)

"...Update: As a result of the huge response to the news of the upcoming beta release Rovio has decided to just release the Angry Birds Lite beta into the Market on Friday."

Will this be on the free market?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 FireHydrant

Anyone successfully unlock this phone from vodafone? Or is it true that its sold unlocked?

Advertisement