Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Box Scheme - Fruit and Veg Delivery

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

My brother in law gets one every week and has fine for years. He speaks very highly of it. Gets stuff in it that's in season but that he might not otherwise buy and likes that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Plus points: Very good quality
    Handy getting it delivered and not having to go to tescos
    More interesting varieties than supermarket fruit and veg
    Get bits of locally produced stuff
    You get things you wouldn't normally buy and so tend to come up with new recipes and try new things

Down side: It can be expensive
    I always got too much fruit
    You have far less control over what you get obviously
    You can end up getting too much of certain things for weeks on end and end up wasting things
    Sometimes you need specific things and don't remember to email them, or even if you do they don't have them or forget to put them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭kittykrazy

I've had the fruit and veg box delivered from homeorganics.ie for the last few weeks and think it's well worth it. €22 gets us loads of potatoes, a few onions (red one week, white the next), a head of garlic every couple of weeks, a huge courgette or a cucumber, runner beans or something else and 4 oranges, a lemon or 2 and 5 apricots or a nice big portion of cherries. I think that's all I might have missed something. And all organic and mostly Irish grown!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yep I use Home Organics as well. You can ask for your basket to be customised, for example no potatoes. highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Home Organics looks great. The two disadvantages for me is that a)they deliver during the week while I'm at work and b)I'm not sure we would eat everything so there might be a lot of waste. There are just two of us but if we had kids perhaps it would make more sense because we'd use more every week.

I used to buy from the co-op on Pearse St, that's now in Newmarket, and I found we threw a lot of stuff out.

In principle I like it though as you're eating in season and not supporting the dubious practices of the multiples.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Home Organics looks great. The two disadvantages for me is that a)they deliver during the week while I'm at work and b)I'm not sure we would eat everything so there might be a lot of waste. There are just two of us but if we had kids perhaps it would make more sense because we'd use more every week.
    What we do is get a basket every 2 weeks so it gives us time to use up everything & top up with stuff from local shops if need be. Also, they just leave it outside our apartment & we've never had a problem. You can also pick up from Cultivate if you work in the city centre as they have arranged it as a drop point.
    I used to buy from the co-op on Pearse St, that's now in Newmarket, and I found we threw a lot of stuff out.
    There's another very similar market on Saturday mornings in the resource centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭darrcow

ive just had some veg from a guy in navan i paid €20 for a box of seasonal veg. his list for this week was potatoes,baby carrots, cauliflower, brocoli, peas, broad beans, patty pan (squash), black fine beans, courgettes,onions, salad onions and some other stuff. you dont get everything on his list but a good selection. he is not organic but says he doesnt use any chemicals on his veg. i just emailed him and he got back to me with in a day. grown4u@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

darrcow wrote: »
    ive just had some veg from a guy in navan i paid €20 for a box of seasonal veg. his list for this week was potatoes,baby carrots, cauliflower, brocoli, peas, broad beans, patty pan (squash), black fine beans, courgettes,onions, salad onions and some other stuff. you dont get everything on his list but a good selection. he is not organic but says he doesnt use any chemicals on his veg. i just emailed him and he got back to me with in a day. grown4u@hotmail.com
    i get mine from www.fruitfellas.ie and love it - get nuts, eggs, dried fruit and all in the my order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Know of anywhere in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Just found greenearth organics, looks good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 athloneie

Know of anywhere in Galway?

http://misterbeansfruitandveg.com/

says coming soon in Galway but a fantastic shop and good stories to be had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mahern2

We have been dealing with Jackie Leonards & Sons for the last number of months, they are very good value and quality....we get apples, oranges and some bananas

We deal with the owner directly, Justin is his name and he seems friendly enough

Website for them is www.jackieleonards.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

I used fruitfellas for a while, great service, always really fresh, only reason I stopped was it was a waste as there is only me and my mother at home and she is a ridiculously picky eater so we werent getting through the box before the fruit and veg started to turn:(

Advertisement