Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council/Tidy towns cutting hedges in summer

Options
  • 24-06-2010 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Searched for a similar thread but couldn't find one....
    Here's the story, I came back to the house today at eleven and found this lad in tractor was after trimming the hedges along my road and also my own private hedge ( Hawthorn, spindle, blackthorn etc).The road is dead straight and the hedge was not obstructing any view for traffic. I also think I have a wren nesting in the hedge ( didn't want to go searching the hedge for nest in case I disturbed her). I was livid. I asked him what the f**k he was doing. He wouldn't tell me who he was working for just that he was tidying up the hedges. He said my hedge was wild looking:mad::mad::mad: He didn't touch one of the neighbours ornamental non-native crap hedge of course....
    I live in Baltinglass Co. Wicklow. Who can I complain to? Who will do something about it? I have the Reg plate of the tractor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Heritage officer Wicklow County Council
    No idea what she can do, but you can mention I sent you.

I feel your pain :(

Take some photos. if by chance you have before photos this may be useful.

All the junctions around me were done this week. This is usual and it about 40m in each direction.
    By the way, what makes you think that tidy towns may be involved? Is it fair to name and shame if they are not? I suppose same goes for council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Mothman wrote: »
    Take some photos. if by chance you have before photos this may be useful.

All the junctions around me were done this week. This is usual and it about 40m in each direction.
    By the way, what makes you think that tidy towns may be involved? Is it fair to name and shame if they are not? I suppose same goes for council.
    The tidy town's group cut down the gorse, oak and willow which I planted on the road verge last year. I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

this lad in tractor was after trimming the hedges along my road and also my own private hedge ( Hawthorn, spindle, blackthorn etc).the hedges. He said my hedge was wild looking:mad::mad::mad: He didn't touch one of the neighbours ornamental non-native crap hedge of course....
    The tidy town's group cut down the gorse, oak and willow which I planted on the road verge last year. I
    Guerilla Native Treeplanter V the Tidy Town fascists

I fear this is going to end badly unless you undertake some serious yoga meditation & chanting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

same hear , im not happy ,i live along by a forest on a back road the hedges have been cut also .i rang the EPA not there problem ,could not get the co council

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have to say that hedges around towns and villages heavily involved in the Tidy Towns all seem to have been cut in the past couple of weeks. This is not for road safety but to "tidy" the approaches in advance of the Judging taking place around now. Report all incidences to the local council, Gardaí, and NPWS if you wish.

Here's the earlier thread on this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055920233

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The council once told my neighbour off for planting trees and hedging at the side of the road. Apparently even though its your property you are not allowed to plant trees or hedging there.

Op why don't you send that young fella down my way as our roadsides are overgrown.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Op why don't you send that young fella down my way as our roadsides are overgrown.
    But then what is acceptable? assuming that we agree on road safety issues.
    To trim the margin, Hogweed etc and a light trim on side, or go the whole hog and cut what is usually done in Winter which is the top as well and a hard trim on side? which seems to be happening all too often and in my opinion unnecessary

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Report all incidences to the local council, Gardaí, and NPWS if you wish.
    i suspect another group worth contacting would be the tidy towns umbrella organisation themselves, and point out that illegal activities are being carried out under the aegis of their organisation. if they send out details to tidy towns committees of what the judges are looking for, it might be worthwhile asking them to take the law into account and issue guidelines to match.

i suspect another group worth contacting would be the tidy towns umbrella organisation themselves, and point out that illegal activities are being carried out under the aegis of their organisation. if they send out details to tidy towns committees of what the judges are looking for, it might be worthwhile asking them to take the law into account and issue guidelines to match.

Contact Information here:
    http://www.tidytowns.ie/contact.php?sent=ok

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The council once told my neighbour off for planting trees and hedging at the side of the road. Apparently even though its your property you are not allowed to plant trees or hedging there.

Uncut roadsides look better imo, gives wildflowers a chance to go to seed and thus produce seeds for wild birds. The same goes for owergrown hedges, they produce a far better berry crop for wildlife than hedges that have been hacked to shreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

Uncut roadsides look better imo, gives wildflowers a chance to go to seed and thus produce seeds for wild birds. The same goes for owergrown hedges, they produce a far better berry crop for wildlife than hedges that have been hacked to shreds.

Well I don't really think they look better. Especially when walking on narrow country roads and there are loads of briars/nettles/hogweed sticking out meaning I have to walk a good bit out from the edge. That said, I do not like to see hedges cut when birds could be nesting. And surely they don't have the right to cut hedges on private property?

Even the battle between aesthetics and nature happens in my own garden :)

Mothman wrote: »
    Even the battle between aesthetics and nature happens in my own garden :)
    You are forgiven Mothman, you have Little Grebes nesting in your pond:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Let us know how you get on.

Will do, will launch my intifada on Monday:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Uncut roadsides also cause accidents coming out at junctions so far to see the road that an oncoming car could hit yours. People driving in the middle of the road because they don't want to scratch their cars. The birds have plenty ditches to nest in besides nesting on roadsides, I would also imagine that not many birds would build their nest by the roadside because of the activity and noise around.

Yes you are right about vision lines at junctions and that type of cutting is permitted. But, we are talking beyond that. Your assertion about nesting birds shows, if you'll pardon my bluntness, your total lack of understanding of Nature. Of course birds nest in hedges along roads. I see them every day. This is why the law is there. It wasn't brought in without regard for the nesting habits of birds.

Went down to the garda station and made a complaint. I told them the scéal and gave them the reg of the tractor. They were able to give me a name and address. They couldn't get a phone number because the criminal's phone is ex directory. Thay are going to call around to house to give warning and find out who he's working for? Tidy towns or council. They will ring me back with the details and then I'm ringing the NPWS ( Mothman's heritage officier refered me to them) to make a complaint as well.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Searched for a similar thread but couldn't find one....
    Here's the story, I came back to the house today at eleven and found this lad in tractor was after trimming the hedges along my road and also my own private hedge ( Hawthorn, spindle, blackthorn etc).The road is dead straight and the hedge was not obstructing any view for traffic. I also think I have a wren nesting in the hedge ( didn't want to go searching the hedge for nest in case I disturbed her). I was livid. I asked him what the f**k he was doing. He wouldn't tell me who he was working for just that he was tidying up the hedges. He said my hedge was wild looking:mad::mad::mad: He didn't touch one of the neighbours ornamental non-native crap hedge of course....
    I live in Baltinglass Co. Wicklow. Who can I complain to? Who will do something about it? I have the Reg plate of the tractor

The IWT would also like to know:

http://iwt.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=146:press-release-act-for-hedgerows&catid=3:newsflash

• Advertisement

Reported to IWT but did not ger thro' to NPWS toay. Here is photo of damage to my hedge2mpj1ts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Any update on this Feargal ?
    For work, I do a fair bit of driving around rural Connacht and the amount of times I see hedges being hacked back during nesting season freaks me out. But I've never done anything about it, as I sometimes think I might be wrong about the period during which cutting is banned, or if there truly is one.
    So, first, can anyone factually confirm (a) if there is in fact a nationwide ban period in operation and (b) when it is.
    Second, as a by the way, it seems to me that the depth of cut / hack seems to be much greater than what I remember from, say, ten years ago. Cutters seem to leave a terrible trace, cutting branches even several cm thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Connacht wrote: »
    Second, as a by the way, it seems to me that the depth of cut / hack seems to be much greater than what I remember from, say, ten years ago. Cutters seem to leave a terrible trace, cutting branches even several cm thick.

I think you are right about this - possibly cost cutting? Hack the bejaysis out of it so it can be left for two years?

LC

For work, I do a fair bit of driving around rural Connacht and the amount of times I see hedges being hacked back during nesting season freaks me out. But I've never done anything about it, as I sometimes think I might be wrong about the period during which cutting is banned, or if there truly is one.
    So, first, can anyone factually confirm (a) if there is in fact a nationwide ban period in operation and (b) when it is.

Illegal from 1st Mar - 31st Aug but the get-out is "for reasons of Health & Safety"

http://iwt.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=146:press-release-act-for-hedgerows&catid=3:newsflash

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

so that clause makes it pretty much not illegal then ... :(

so that clause makes it pretty much not illegal then ... :(

I suppose it would need to be tested in a court case?'

No reply from Gardaí, but found where the fellow who cuts the hedge lives. Had a friendly word with him and asked him not to cut my hedge again. If he did I'd be paying his rose bushes a visit with my slash hook:)
    We shaked hands on that!

Advertisement