Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muscle Mass and Workouts

Options
  • 23-06-2010 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have been doing the following workout for the last few weeks and was just wondering if it is adequate enough to put on a lot of muscle or if I should be doing more. I have been increasing my calories a lot over the last few weeks and have put on a few pounds since i have started. I weigh about 80kg and would consider myself a very hard gainer.

Monday: Shoulders

Arnie Press: 18kg x 12, 10, 8.

Frontal Raise: 13kg x 12, 10, 8.

Wide Grip Pull Ups: 12, 10, 8.

Shoulder Shrugs: 20.5kg x 15, 12, 10.

Wednesday: Chest and Back:

Bench Press: 80kg x 12, 8, 6. 70kg x 5.

Seated Cable Row: 80 x 12, 10, 8.

Wide Grip Pull Ups: 12, 10, 7.

Lat Pull Down: 60 x 12, 10, 8.

Fly: 14kg x 12, 10, 8.

Cable Cross-Over: 10 x 12, 10, 8.

Saturday: Biceps and Triceps:

Pull Ups: 12, 10 and 8.

Cable cross-over (biceps): 12.5 x 12, 10 and 8.

Arm Curl: 18kg x 12, 10 and 8.

Tricep Push down machine: 60 x 12, 10 and 8.

Tricep dips: 12, 10 and 8.

Is this enough? Am i neglecting any muscles? I know I don't have any leg workout in there but I do a lot of running training and will eventually assign a day to doing leg work. I also do a lot of sit ups and core work each session.

I try to increase weight or reps each week if I can.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

How tall are you?

How many kcals are you eating?

Where's the squats and deadlifts? Actually where's the leg training at all??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I'd really consider adding deadlift at a minimum. Like the previous poster said squats/deads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Whats your body weight?

batman87 wrote: »
    I I weigh about 80kg and would consider myself a very hard gainer.
    RealistSpy wrote: »
    Whats your body weight?

^

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

I'd be the same as you, around 80kg and a hard gainer, and I don't do half as much upper body work as you and I'm seeing results after a couple of months.

However I'm not very consistent and I do a full body workout every time I go to the gym. I'm also doing a lot of cardio in preparation for a run next month so I'm not seeing a whole lot of weight gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,196 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Leg day should be in there from the start, if you don't have the time for a 4th day a week, drop the Biceps/triceps day.

Maybe you are a hardgainer, the following isn't directed at you. But I've seen a number of people, today alone, insist that they were very hard gainers. Most of these people, aren't hardgainers, but are just not doing enough and using that as an excuse.

Again, I'm not saying you (or anyone else) are or aren't, but way too many people claim to be hard gainers, some of them are mistaken.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mellor wrote: »
    Leg day should be in there from the start, if you don't have the time for a 4th day a week, drop the Biceps/triceps day.

Maybe you are a hardgainer, the following isn't directed at you. But I've seen a number of people, today alone, insist that they were very hard gainers. Most of these people, aren't hardgainers, but are just not doing enough and using that as an excuse.

Again, I'm not saying you (or anyone else) are or aren't, but way too many people claim to be hard gainers, some of them are mistaken.

I'm by no means an expert, but I've noticed that most people who describe themselves as "hardgainers" aren't eating or lifting enough.

OP, you should really change that program ASAP. The 2 best excercises for adding mass are squats and deadlifts, doing a whole day dedicated to arms at your level is a waste of time. In fact a whole day spent on arms is worse than a waste of time, its actually eating into your recovery time.

Have a look at this:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Make getting stronger your primary goal. Adding mass will come, once you eat enough.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Hi batman87, some things I have noticed missing from your workout

Shoulders - upright rows, side lateral raise, reverse lateral raise

Chest - Incline chest press

Back - Deadlift

Legs - squats, lunges, leg curls & leg extension

I would also suggest that if you only have 3 days to train try a 3 day split of chest & triceps, back & biceps, shoulders & legs

Dubdude wrote: »
    Hi batman87, some things I have noticed missing from your workout

Shoulders - upright rows, side lateral raise

Legs - leg extension

It's good that they're missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Hanley wrote: »
    It's good that they're missing.

Hey hanley, I know your well respected around here but why is it good that there missing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Hey hanley, I know your well respected around here but why is it good that there missing?

Because the chap is doing enough useless crap as is.

OP, I did a similar program WAY back in the day. You're not exactly wasting your time, but it could be spent a helluva lot more productively.

Other posters have suggested deadlifts and squats, and doing Starting Strength. I'd second these suggestions highly. Learn from others mistakes (like myself) and skip the stupid Men's Health & Fitness workouts. Go with something tried and tested. You won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Because they're isolation exercises, if the OP is interested in gaining strength and mass he should concentrate on the heavy compunds. Shoulders (and other muscles) will get an infinitely better workout from the likes of a standing press than they would anything else.

Regards legs, squats are a far superior exercise than extension machines due to the fact it's a full body exercise using free weights. In fact, regular squats are probably the best exercise for adding strength and mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

FTA69 wrote: »

Regards legs, squats are a far superior exercise than extension machines due to the fact it's a full body exercise using free weights. In fact, regular squats are probably the best exercise for adding strength and mass.

Amen to that brother.

Upright rows = internal shoulder rotation = f*cked up shoulders

Overhead pressing and heavy rows are a much better option for the areas they hit (upper back and shoulders), more "natural" too.

Leg Extensions = ton of stress on the knee + heavily DOMS'd legs = slower recovery and less frequent leg training

I really feel the best way to increase leg strength and size is to train them as frequently as possible (and by that I mean squat). To do that you need to be recovering quite quickly, and to do that you can't be hitting faliure and doing burn outs etc at every session cos it just effects recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Hanley wrote: »
    Upright rows = internal shoulder rotation = f*cked up shoulders

I often wondered what the story was with those yokes. Had no idea why ppl did them. Thanks for clearing that up.

squod wrote: »
    I often wondered what the story was with those yokes. Had no idea why ppl did them. Thanks for clearing that up.

I dunno... I think if you take a shoulder width grip and just for under control til you meet natural resistance you'll probably be ok, but everyone I see doing them uses a close grip and rows aggressively upwards bringing the bar to shoulder level - that's just not healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 batman87

I'm 5' 10". Yea I'm definitely gonna use one of the days to do leg workout and gonna bring in dead lifts and squats into my workout. I think I might do chest and triceps day, shoulders and legs day and then maybe back and biceps for the final day.

I'm 5' 10". Yea I'm definitely gonna use one of the days to do leg workout and gonna bring in dead lifts and squats into my workout. I think I might do chest and triceps day, shoulders and legs day and then maybe back and biceps for the final day.

You could do that, it would be an improvment on what you're doing now. But why not do something that's been proven to work thousands of times over i.e. starting strength.

If you're only starting out, why design your own program?

they/them/theirs

I'm not really starting off. Sorry, should have made it clearer.

I've been doing weights for last couple of years, doing strength programmes but now I want to get serious about putting on some bulk. I'm in decent enough shape from previous programmes but now wanna add some bulk.

I've been doing weights for last couple of years, doing strength programmes but now I want to get serious about putting on some bulk. I'm in decent enough shape from previous programmes but now wanna add some bulk.

Then do Starting Strength!! Jesus. If you come here for advice, take it - the people giving it are giving it for a reason. I did the same as you - stupid made up program that I thought covered the bases, but was (to put it bluntly) the shits.

I bulked with SS, very sucessfully. Trust me, it WORKS. VERY WELL. I defy you to do it for one month and then report back on how it goes. If it doesn't work for ya, I'll publicly admit I'm a knob who knows nothing. It just grinds my gears when people ask for advice and then discard it, after others take time and effort to offer it.

• Advertisement

Haha "grinds my gears"...nice. I'm not discarding anyone's advice. I'll give SS a shot for a month and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the advice people.

Haha "grinds my gears"...nice. I'm not discarding anyone's advice. I'll give SS a shot for a month and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the advice people.

It takes way more than a month to put on any appreciable muscle mass...

Throw in the GOMAD and it lumps on. For me anyways.

As a matter of interest, what strength programmes have you been doing?

I don't mean to offend in anyway, not trying to be a knob, but any decent programme done for a couple of years would have you stronger than the lifts you posted at the beginning of this thread. The reason I said you are "starting off" is that the lifts you listed put you in the beginner/novice category, regardless of how long you've been lifting. Now my own aren't that much better, but I accept that I'm a beginner even though I've been lifting a while, based solely on my numbers.

If you're interested in adding bulk, do starting strength, get stronger and eat like a horse.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement