Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for Uni?!

Options
  • 23-06-2010 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Howdy!

I know it's probably a bit premature of me to be thinking of this, but does a first year student require a laptop/netbook?! Hopefully, I'll be doing medicine in September, but I could end up doing radiography, physio, or science...it all depends on the points I get! I'd just like to know so I can keep a look out during the summer for something cheap and cheerful! All thoughts appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Can't say for sure for everybody, but my sister did commerce in UCD and she needed one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Shortsighted

I would say so, my sister did Pre-Med this year, and even though she didn't seem to do a lot that didn't involve copious amounts of alcohol, I think she found it really handy for like catching up on lectures that she missed and stuff. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

I would say so, my sister did Pre-Med this year, and even though she didn't seem to do a lot that didn't involve copious amounts of alcohol, I think she found it really handy for like catching up on lectures that she missed and stuff. :rolleyes:

sorry but what's pre med??
    is it a plc course?

im looking to do medicine too, and i think i might buy a lil notebook cos most of trinity's notes are online not on handouts (my boyfriend does radiation therapy there, so im not just guessing lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

sorry but what's pre med??
    is it a plc course?

im looking to do medicine too, and i think i might buy a lil notebook cos most of trinity's notes are online not on handouts (my boyfriend does radiation therapy there, so im not just guessing lol)

Pre-Med's a year in college studying subjects like Biology, Chemistry, Physics and some basic skills. It's to get everyone up to the same level because not everyone will have done Biology up to Leaving Cert. level say.

Ha do any courses give out handouts??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

If you have RCSI on your CAO you will get a laptop when you start your course, be it med, physio or pharmacy. The money for the laptop will be included in your IT fees over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Most courses need a laptop, but you may end up buying the wrong one with the wrong software needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pineapple123

Thanking you...I think I'll hold off and wait til September!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fairyprincessx

I know for the UCD School of Business you have to get one, don't know where else it's compulsary, but it'd be very handy to have one! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Most courses need a laptop, but you may end up buying the wrong one with the wrong software needed.

Err... Sorry?
    There's no such thing as "the wrong one" when it comes to computers/laptops.
    Well, unless it's a mac... :P

Software can be bought separately so you don't need to worry about that. You needn't even buy it, it can be "obtained" online for free :pac:

I'm going to wait till late july/early august to buy a laptop. Computer companies (I'll name no names) realise that students will be buying in late august/early september and raise the prices of products aimed at students.
    Buying too early (now) means you might miss out on a more powerful model for the same price a little later down the line, as I'm sure everyone is aware that technology is constantly advancing and becoming cheaper to produce. (Example: my 14 year old brother bought himself a laptop about 6 months ago for 500 odd euros, I could easily buy a much better, faster one from the same company for LESS than that now).
    Buying too late means you will be paying more than you should, unless you get lucky and there's a sale on.

The key to buying computers is waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pineapple123

Well, unless it's a mac... :P

Awwww....I'd love a nice white macbook...all shiny and stuff...pity they're so expensive :(

• Advertisement

pity they're so useless :(

Fixed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

sillymoo wrote: »
    If you have RCSI on your CAO you will get a laptop when you start your course, be it med, physio or pharmacy. The money for the laptop will be included in your IT fees over the years.
    Please tell me that stand for computer science at IT courses in all colleges

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

If your looking for one for college wait off til september - just in case they have a certain type of one needed or something..

maybe just send an email and ask is their any special requirements for the laptop.. if not just head out now and get one... very handy little things to have so they are...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

There's somthing about if your going to ucc that you get a free iPod when you buy a mac. Have a look on the apple website cos I'm not sure of the exact details

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

There's somthing about if your going to ucc that you get a free iPod when you buy a mac. Have a look on the apple website cos I'm not sure of the exact details

Oooh I'm going to UCC next year.. That could be very handy :eek:

Danger781 wrote: »
    Oooh I'm going to UCC next year.. That could be very handy :eek:

noooo it won't... you'll just fail your exams because you spent too long listening to the ipod rather than studyin :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

My parents said that I could take the family laptop with me to Uni, Im rather happy, It'll be great for catching up! But if you plan on buying one, dont splash out on a really fancy one, as long as it has the basics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Fixed :D

You can tell you've never used a Mac.

Overpriced yes, useless no.

Op, definitely wait until September. although personally speaking I'd be lost in lectures without my little netbook

phasers wrote: »
    You can tell you've never used a Mac.

Overpriced yes, useless no.

Op, definitely wait until September. although personally speaking I'd be lost in lectures without my little netbook

I owned one for 2 years.

NEVER AGAIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

I'm thinking of buying a Mac Book with a student discount (about €935 I think). It would work out better value because of the lack of need for virus protection etc. And they're unbelievably good looking

• Advertisement

There ARE ways of attacking a mac :p As well as that, there are plenty of anti virus programs that aren't horrendously overpriced like the ones you'd buy in a PC shop, and they're usually better too.
    On top of that, when is the last time you paid 400 quid for your anti-virus? :p

Also, what are you going to do if the software for your course isn't mac compatible? When the OS turns out to be utter crap?

If you were buying a car, would you buy one that looks nice but goes really slowly and can only go on certain roads, or a less pretty, absolute powerhouse of a yoke that you can take anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

There ARE ways of attacking a mac :p As well as that, there are plenty of anti virus programs that aren't horrendously overpriced like the ones you'd buy in a PC shop, and they're usually better too.
    On top of that, when is the last time you paid 400 quid for your anti-virus? :p

Also, what are you going to do if the software for your course isn't mac compatible? When the OS turns out to be utter crap?

If you were buying a car, would you buy one that looks nice but goes really slowly and can only go on certain roads, or a less pretty, absolute powerhouse of a yoke that you can take anywhere?
    Do you work for Microsoft?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

What? That's just anyone in general! I could be the local binman but could buy a mac and get an iPod free!! =]

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

When the OS turns out to be utter crap?

0_o

This Mac you had, did you buy it from a van on the side of the road? Did it have an apple sticker covering up another logo? :p

Overpriced I'll give you; the odd bit of incompatible software, yes, though not very much these days; but a crap OS or "really slowly" doesn't describe any Mac I've ever encountered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Overpriced I'll give you; the odd bit of incompatible software, yes, though not very much these days; but a crap OS or "really slowly" doesn't describe any Mac I've ever encountered!

"really slowly" = my friends mac. haha. He's getting rid of it for an alienware. :)
    And then I'm going to steal it from him. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I've always wondered about this too. I once read a study that college students retain information better if they take notes in handwriting rather than typing on a computer. How true this is - I haven't a clue. Plus I can type much faster than I can handwrite. My dad had me typing 'properly' (with the right keys and all) since a very young age (Mavis Beacon :P) and that has greatly improved my speed - I can type anywhere between 80-95 words per minute (wpm) now. No way could I handwrite with any legibility near that speed!

Nope, I don't think I've ever met anyone who does either.
    0_o

This Mac you had, did you buy it from a van on the side of the road? Did it have an apple sticker covering up another logo? :p

Hahaha very funny :P

Very overpriced, when I said "really slowly" I meant that for the same money you'd spend on a powerful PC you would probably either get a low-spec mac or the guy in the apple store telling you you need more money altogether.

A google search for "applications not compatible with mac" returns 150,000,000 results, removing the 'not' reduces it to just 21,000,000 :P Granted this isn't exactly a clear cut representation of compatibility but it kind of paints the picture. I'll acknowledge that yes, more applications are becoming mac compatible, but not very quickly.

The OS is crap because it's completely un-customisable, as in you can't really do much with it when compared to a PC. Macs, in my experience, are slow when running applications that need a lot of memory and especially so when multitasking, and get slower with time, much more so than PCs. Why just a few months ago I was at my now ex-girlfriend's place and her dad was going mental over the state their macs (note: plural) had gotten into and how long they were taking to do the simplest of things like open up safari.

IMO the only thing good about macs is some of the programs for OS X are pretty good, for example garageband.

The price alone of a mac should completely put students off though; if you spend an extra 4/500 quid so you have a laptop which "looks nice" you'll probably sorely regret it later down the line in college. That's around 100 pints of beer/cider, for example :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

*giggles* wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying a Mac Book with a student discount (about €935 I think). It would work out better value because of the lack of need for virus protection etc. And they're unbelievably good looking

+1 on mac boycott, paying anything over €500 for a laptop is a complete waste of money! I'm thinking of buying one for around €250 with a decent processor and just upgrading the RAM on it myself, more than enough for what I'll be using it for (I plan on doing computer science by the way).

There are LOADS of free anti virus online, some of which are better than the ones which cost money. Avira and AVG are both free and both very good. Norton and the likes aren't any better and just eat up the system's memory. I didn't know people still paid for anti-virus programs these days...

he's right though... :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 _Exasperated_

Laptops would make life easier for you when you're in university. Trust me. All my mates in university have laptops.

Advertisement