Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get published

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lizzybradbury

I have started submitting my MS to agents rather than publishers and, after spending time carefully selecting the ones I thought would take on my work, started submitting. So far I have submitted to about 8-9 and have had rejections or no word from all of them.

Naturally I'm slightly frustrated even though I know this is normal. My question is, how many agents would you submit to before either giving up on that novel or going back to the drawing board?

I do really believe my work is publishable and would make money, I wrote my query with the help of a published author and an author success coach who is also published and I had my MS proof-read by a published author and several other people as well - What are your thoughts?

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Positive! Standard inoffensive response seems to go along the lines of the book not being what they're looking for at the moment. The fact that they gave the excuse that they have something similar in the works is different and so I'd say positive.

Definitely, they wouldn't have bothered going out of their way to say it was good if they didn't mean it. That means that they did really like your style but they're already committed to another author and cannot jeopardise their work - Keep at it, create something new and get submitting again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chuckaloo33

Hi,

I wrote a screen play in 2011. Initially I tried to get it read by someone, anyone but there is very little information out there on what to do or where to go. I contacted the Irish Film Board and while they did get back to me the information was more for what I should do if I was thinking of writing one.

Can anyone shed any light on the area. All I want to know is am I wasting my time? I have a few more ideas and if I am totally off the mark with the first one then there is no point in writing more unless I know how.

Thanks,

Chuck.....

I wrote a screen play in 2011. Initially I tried to get it read by someone...

Can anyone shed any light on the area. All I want to know is am I wasting my time? I have a few more ideas and if I am totally off the mark with the first one then there is no point in writing more unless I know how.

Hi Chuck,

I think one idea is to find like-minded people - Like on a forum about writing or through sites like authonomy run by HarperCollins. Once you have built relationships with people you trust and can respect for their work, you can go about swapping MS's and giving each other feedback.

Don't bother paying for any editorial help (at least not at this stage), but find other screen-play writers and get their opinions, then you can not only improve you screen-play, which probably needs several revisions if you're like the rest of us, but you can also find out if you're going along the right lines.

Plus, finding other people often means you can talk to people who are a little further on the journey and get their advice and learn from their experiences about the next steps you can or need to take.

Hope that's helpful.

Lizzy x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chuckaloo33

Hi Lizzy,

Thank you for your response and a big thank you for your advise. I will check out the sites you mentioned and hopefully I do meet some like-minded people.

I turned on the laptop again last week and found myself a number of hours later going through the screen play and making changes everywhere. Another draft complete!!

Thanks again,

Chuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

I submitted my synopsis to a reasonably well known publisher, and was asked to send the whole m/s. They told me it would take 4-6 months. Last week (4 months since sending it) I had an email saying that the m/s had been well received, and it was highly likely the MD of the company would like to meet me.

Is this standard or should I be just a tad excited?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Livvie wrote: »
    I submitted my synopsis to a reasonably well known publisher, and was asked to send the whole m/s. They told me it would take 4-6 months. Last week (4 months since sending it) I had an email saying that the m/s had been well received, and it was highly likely the MD of the company would like to meet me.

Is this standard or should I be just a tad excited?

Get very excited. That is NOT standard. The MD does not ask to meet someone unless they are seriously offering you a contract.

EileenG wrote: »
    Get very excited. That is NOT standard. The MD does not ask to meet someone unless they are seriously offering you a contract.

Eeek. Scared now!

I can't believe it will happen though...this is the first time I've submitted to any publisher. It's all too good to be true.

Good luck. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.

They'll decide on your MS, not the meeting. The meeting is more to decide if you are likely to be an asset for publicity.

Even if they don't accept, it's just a huge coup to have got this far. You definitely have a good book on your hands.

Good luck. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.

They'll decide on your MS, not the meeting. The meeting is more to decide if you are likely to be an asset for publicity.

Even if they don't accept, it's just a huge coup to have got this far. You definitely have a good book on your hands.

Thanks, Eileen. And if it doesn't happen, it'll be disappointing, but not majorly so, because as you say, I feel it's an achievement to have got this far.

Off topic - have you anything more in the pipeline? A sequel to Don't Feed the Fairies, maybe? I so enjoyed that.

• Advertisement

Off topic - have you anything more in the pipeline? A sequel to Don't Feed the Fairies, maybe? I so enjoyed that.

Yes, the follow-up, Don't Eat the Earthlings, was published just before Christmas. And I've just got a contract with Ellora's Cave for an Erotic novella which is due out in June.

Yes, the follow-up, Don't Eat the Earthlings, was published just before Christmas. And I've just got a contract with Ellora's Cave for an Erotic novella which is due out in June.

Congratulations! And I just rushed to Kindle for Don't Eat the Earthlings. :D

Thank you. Shout and tell me all the bits you don't like.

Thank you. Shout and tell me all the bits you don't like.

Doubt there will be any bits I don't like - there weren't in the first one. But if anything stands out - in any way - I'll let you know.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I presume this is the book about the traveller kid, Livvie?

I presume this is the book about the traveller kid, Livvie?

That's the one.

Have started work on second novel, but it's really hard to break away from those characters.

You put so much effort and thought into that first book, that you feel that you've exhausted the supply of ideas!

I still can't believe that anything will come of this and am prepared for that. Just concentrating on the positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

I have a question about publishing. I should clarify that I know literally nothing about the process of getting a book published, and next nothing about writing one.

My question is sort of a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string question. It's regarding pricing/costs. I'm wondering what is the break down of the price of a book? For example, if I was to buy a book for €20, how much goes to the author, how much to the publisher, and how much goes to the shop that sells it? Are there any other parties in there that get a cut of the money?

I know this is a very general question, and I'm sure it varies greatly from book to book, but even a general answer would do. Is it different for non-fiction as opposed to fiction?

Thanks.

Quick update, by way of offering hope to all! My m/s was reviewed and accepted and am waiting for contract to arrive in the mail. It doesn't seem real - this is something that happens to someone else, not to me! In other words, if I can do it, there's a chance for everyone.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Quick update, by way of offering hope to all! My m/s was reviewed and accepted and am waiting for contract to arrive in the mail. It doesn't seem real - this is something that happens to someone else, not to me! In other words, if I can do it, there's a chance for everyone.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it :) Will it be e-published, paperback or both?

Both. Will give you more details once the contract is actually signed.

• Advertisement

I have a question about publishing. I should clarify that I know literally nothing about the process of getting a book published, and next nothing about writing one.

My question is sort of a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string question. It's regarding pricing/costs. I'm wondering what is the break down of the price of a book? For example, if I was to buy a book for €20, how much goes to the author, how much to the publisher, and how much goes to the shop that sells it? Are there any other parties in there that get a cut of the money?

I know this is a very general question, and I'm sure it varies greatly from book to book, but even a general answer would do. Is it different for non-fiction as opposed to fiction?

Thanks.

Obviously it varies, but as a general rule, on a €10 paperback, the distributor will get close to half of the price. The bookshop will get somewhere around a third to a quarter, the rest goes to the publisher to pay for editing and printing, and the author will get about 80 cents to €1 per book.

This is why e-books can be so much cheaper, even with the same editing and promotion. The distribution is much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Obviously it varies, but as a general rule, on a €10 paperback, the distributor will get close to half of the price. The bookshop will get somewhere around a third to a quarter, the rest goes to the publisher to pay for editing and printing, and the author will get about 80 cents to €1 per book.

This is why e-books can be so much cheaper, even with the same editing and promotion. The distribution is much cheaper.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Wouldn't have thought the distributor would get so much, but that just shows how much I know about publishing!

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Wouldn't have thought the distributor would get so much, but that just shows how much I know about publishing!

That's why self-publishing is so difficult. It's not the cost of the printing, it's the distribution. Shelf space in shops is valuable, most will not give it except to the big distributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Both. Will give you more details once the contract is actually signed.
    Great news Livvie.
    I'm delighted for you.

oterra wrote: »
    Great news Livvie.
    I'm delighted for you.

Thank you.

I just PMd you - sorry I didn't see yours until now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi all,
    Just few questions to the people who are close to publishing or are already published (congrats!).

Given the incredible differences between the cut given by regular publishers and those offered by selfpublishing (ie Kindle), which option are/were you considering?

At what stage in the writing process did you contact a publisher?

Is selfpublishing to Kindle first to gauge reaction a good idea or would it hamper your efforts to get a publisher later? Would they see it as less profitable and thus not bother with publishing the book?

If you self-publish, you get more of the cover price, but you'll sell a lot less. Quite apart from the marketing and promotion power of a publisher, you wouldn't believe the difference a proper professional edit makes to a book.

And it has to be said, particularly for Irish authors. The biggest market is American, so really unless your book is aimed only at Ireland, you need to be aware of that market. It's not just a matter of colour/color etc. It's the whole way we use language and because it's how we speak, we're not aware of it unless there's an American editor pointing it out.

An awful lot of self-pubs are very very bad. They have messy covers and are full of typos, grammar mistakes and dodgy punctuation. I sometimes buy books from publishers I know without clicking "Look inside", but I never do with a self-pub.

Normally I contact a publisher when my book is finished, edited as much as I can do, and polished. If they like it, they send me contracts and rip the book apart.

I would not self-publish any book that I think might get accepted by a publisher, but if I had a short or a related story to a published book, I might stick that up as a self-pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kilrush claire

Hi, I've enjoyed reading all the entries here and find them very helpful. Could anyone advise me if it is a good idea to submit a first novel to several agents and publishers at the same time. Also is it a good idea to submit my work to overseas agents and publishers even though my story is set between Ireland and America. I welcome any advice that anyone thinks relevant. I'm on my second book and loving it.Thanks, K.C.

Hi, I've enjoyed reading all the entries here and find them very helpful. Could anyone advise me if it is a good idea to submit a first novel to several agents and publishers at the same time. Also is it a good idea to submit my work to overseas agents and publishers even though my story is set between Ireland and America. I welcome any advice that anyone thinks relevant. I'm on my second book and loving it.Thanks, K.C.

What genre is your book?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 kilrush claire

Hi, it's a character novel set in the 1920s

Advertisement