Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Nope

Okay, good, we're all in agreement then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

MJohnston wrote: »
    Okay, good, we're all in agreement then ;)

I don't agree to that ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Does anybody have this file... Luas_Cross_City_Dawson_Northbound_Stop_Drawing_LBXD000TO29014A.pdf ?

Website isn't working for me: http://www.lccdawsonnbstop.ie/Downloads/draftro/Luas_Cross_City_Dawson_Northbound_Stop_Drawing_LBXD000TO29014A.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

https://imgur.com/a/uMUSk

This is a file I had with a similar title, maybe what you want is in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

There's also this, but it's the original plan, when the stop design was different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

They should've run it underground under tcd so.

Maybe they should have, but that's not really relevant now, is it? The line is built, and thankfully services will start soon.

I took a bit of a break while the discussion was rolling on over the last few pages about the merits or demerits of putting the line - which is now an in situ overground line, ready to go - underground.

It was earlier suggested (by the poster Monument) that, because of the closeness of two pairs of stops (O'Connell Street Upper and Parnell Street, and O'Connell Street Lower and Westmoreland Street), the tram service on this line might only stop at one of each of these pairs.

Assuming that there is a 4-minute service northward from St. Stephen's Green (and Dawson Street) this scenario would - if it comes to pass - give a service only every 8 minutes for the subsequent 4 stations on the 'loop' line (Westmoreland Street, O'Connell Bridge Lower, O'Connell Bridge Upper and Parnell Street).

If my expectation is correct, and we will relatively soon see all trams on this line travelling at least as far as Broadstone, then that solves the problem of the first pair of those stops: all trams will stop at both O'Connell Street Upper and Parnell Street, and they both have a service every 4 minutes.

This doesn't unfortunately deal with the other pair of stations (Westmoreland Street and O'Connell Street Lower), which might still have a service only every 8 minutes,if the poster turns out to be correct, because of their closeness. That would be far from ideal for such a central location in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Maybe they should have, but that's not really relevant now, is it? The line is built, and thankfully services will start soon.

I took a bit of a break while the discussion was rolling on over the last few pages about the merits or demerits of putting the line - which is now an in situ overground line, ready to go - underground.

It was earlier suggested (by the poster Monument) that, because of the closeness of two pairs of stops (O'Connell Street Upper and Parnell Street, and O'Connell Street Lower and Westmoreland Street), the tram service on this line might only stop at one of each of these pairs.

Assuming that there is a 4-minute service northward from St. Stephen's Green (and Dawson Street) this scenario would - if it comes to pass - give a service only every 8 minutes for the subsequent 4 stations on the 'loop' line (Westmoreland Street, O'Connell Bridge Lower, O'Connell Bridge Upper and Parnell Street).

If my expectation is correct, and we will relatively soon see all trams on this line travelling at least as far as Broadstone, then that solves the problem of the first pair of those stops: all trams will stop at both O'Connell Street Upper and Parnell Street, and they both have a service every 4 minutes.

This doesn't unfortunately deal with the other pair of stations (Westmoreland Street and O'Connell Street Lower), which might still have a service only every 8 minutes,if the poster turns out to be correct, because of their closeness. That would be far from ideal for such a central location in the city.

There is a no way on earth the LUAS is going to bypass city centre stops. No chance at all. Get out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Seen the Luas today in Phisbrough about 4.30. Brought a wee smile to my face. Traffic leaving town was mental. Not sure if the two are related.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

So it's take TII to do the job of DCC in terms of lighting up college green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Chivito550 wrote: »
    There is a no way on earth the LUAS is going to bypass city centre stops. No chance at all. Get out of it!

Don't get on my case, Chivito.

I was only responding to a poster (Monument) who suggested that it might happen. Not, as far as I remember, that it would happen, but that it might happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Was on O Connell street yesterday dropping a few thing into the GPO. Thought the street looked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

So what are the speed limits at various points through the city centre? I was walking up from Tara St today and I saw a "20" sign coming onto college green after the Trinity stop, and I saw a "15" sign coming up the the left hand turn at grafton st onto Nassau St going southbound. Anybody got a full list of speed limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Chivito550 wrote: »
    So what are the speed limits at various points through the city centre? I was walking up from Tara St today and I saw a "20" sign coming onto college green after the Trinity stop, and I saw a "15" sign coming up the the left hand turn at grafton st onto Nassau St going southbound. Anybody got a full list of speed limits?

The max speed in the city center is 30 (I think) so would imagine 15-20 along most of the route until it passes Parnell Street. It's got quiet a few bends.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The max speed in the city center is 30 (I think) so would imagine 15-20 along most of the route until it passes Parnell Street. It's got quiet a few bends.

and people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I still think the lack of a a proper red/green interchange station/platform is a major drawback of the scheme

BoatMad wrote: »
    I still think the lack of a a proper red/green interchange station/platform is a major drawback of the scheme

Where would this have gone, exactly?

Where would this have gone, exactly?

O connell street , where the two lines cross , rearrange the junction,daft idea to bring one line down marlborough street anyway

O connell street , where the two lines cross , rearrange the junction,daft idea to bring one line down marlborough street anyway

The walk between the O Connell Street and Abbey Street stations is less than 100 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You have northbound and southbound stops on the Green Line adjacent to Abbey St stop.

How much closer do you want them?

lawred2 wrote: »
    The walk between the O Connell Street and Abbey Street stations is less than 100 metres.

100 metres dragging a suitcase is 99 metres too much in my opinion

I say again , there should have been an proper interchange platform

• Advertisement

LXFlyer wrote: »
    You have northbound and southbound stops on the Green Line adjacent to Abbey St stop.

How much closer do you want them?

you regard 100 metres as adjacent ......, i.e. the northbound stop in O connell street

So - you want the interchange station to be smack bang in the middle of OCS? You want Red Line trams to be parked for more than a minute at a time, with a very high frequency, blocking the bus traffic (and even pedestrians and cyclists) attempting to use OCS?

ok

You must hate airports what with all that dragging

And all underground systems the world over

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Well, the trams are 43-54m.

It sounds like you want them on top of each other.

So - you want the interchange station to be smack bang in the middle of OCS? You want Red Line trams to be parked for more than a minute at a time, with a very high frequency, blocking the bus traffic (and even pedestrians and cyclists) attempting to use OCS?

yes, priority should have been given to run luas up and down O'connell st. Its typical of the ass before head thinking on infrastructure thats goes on in this country , Abbey street junctions with OCS could essentially have been closed and the interchange built there, the lines physically cross

you regard 100 metres as adjacent ......

I've used lots of metro systems (DC, New York, London) where there are interchange stations in which you have to walk 100m or more to swap from one line to another. It's very common.

yes, priority should have been given to run luas up and down O'connell st. Its typical of the ass before head thinking on infrastructure thats goes on in this country , Abbey street junctions with OCS could essentially have been closed and the interchange built there, the lines physically cross

Priority? There would barely be a minute of the peak hours where there wouldn't be a Red Line tram blocking OCS if you had your way. That's completely unworkable. Additionally, the Red line trams would be blocking the Green line trams in this bizarre arrangement!

Mad idea.

Peregrine wrote: »
    Well, the trams are 43-54m.

It sounds like you want them on top of each other.

the actually walking distance between the two stops is 220 metres

I've used lots of metro systems (DC, New York, London) where there are interchange stations in which you have to walk 100m or more to swap from one line to another. It's very common.

Also in most of these systems you have to travel that distance vertically, meaning you have to drag your bags up stairs, escalators, or take a crowded lift. Red Line to Green Line changing is simple and easy in comparison.

• Advertisement

Priority? There would barely be a minute of the peak hours where there wouldn't be a Red Line tram blocking OCS if you had your way. That's completely unworkable. Additionally, the Red line trams would be blocking the Green line trams in this bizarre arrangement!

Mad idea.

not at all, you merely need two platforms in a "L " shape arrangement , no need to block either tram with the other , optionally close enough to link by travelator etc

alternatively re-arrange red and greed track work to create a European style Tram depot common outside large railway stations in centre city european destinations

Advertisement