Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on new logo design

• 21-06-2010 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Just received the first draft of the new logo from the designer. Would love you to take a look and let me know what you think. I have already asked for “Sound Systems” to me made more prominent, but other that give me constructive criticism on everything else!

http://ampsoundsystems.com/site/2010/site-updates/verdict-logo

It would be great if you could comment on that actual page, so I can keep everything together and just send the designer a link to that when I get a few opinions.

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Best Price Accessories

Hi - I think the logo looks very impressive. It's a little too bright for me but certainly gets my attention!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭AMPSound

Ok cool. Thanks for that! Would it still get your attention if the brightness was toned down a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Best Price Accessories

Yes I think it would. To be honest, I'm starting to think it's my eyes . I've an orange colour on my website that I find hard to read and my husband thinks it's fine - so be sure to get other people's opinions on it. I think it really is a good logo - the best of luck with it. my favourite bit on the page is the twitter bird - super!

He he yeah - the whole site is brand new, and the Twitter bird is one of the things I am happiest about!!!

Thanks for the opinions on the logo. I'll leave this up for a while to try to get a few more thoughts.

And thanks for the good luck wishes! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

I kinda like it too, but 2 things struck me immediately, its a bit too burnt out on the 'P' - too yellow and maybe the bars after the 'P' could be rearranged so they don;t look like an 'I' or an 'L' following the word AMP spelling AMPIL.

Looks good overall, best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I like the basics of it,

Nice shape to the lettering and the colours look good together.

However i'd have to agree with the points that have been made so far.

It is a bit too bright around that P area, i would try tone that down a bit. Whether that be colour wise, or breaking it with a black outline around the letters. That is of course if it is going to appear on a white background. Looking at the website the header is black - i actually don't think it will look as bad on black.

The lines after the word amp too, are they supposed to be a kind of graphic equaliser effect? I'd agree that at the moment they look too much like a letter. I know you get from the weblink that it is just Amp Soundsystems, but it still annoys me a bit visually.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. All those changes will be made to Draft 2! Will post it here when I get it if you are interested in seeing the new version.

Thanks again. Really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭oldat31

I do logo design and there is a few things about this logo that just wont work....

First its a raster logo, which means you can not make it any bigger then the designed side.
    So if you decide to get a billboard add, you logo will have to be tiny on it.

Second, once the logo is printed black and white it will lose its flare......

They are the 2 rules of logo design, if it works is black and white its a great start. And always design in vector, so you can scale it to any size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Finn Media

hi, i love the general logo, but as I have recently changed my logo I may add a few points.
    i feel the colours are two busy.
    also remember if the logo is going to be used everywhere, check what it will be like on printed paper, invoices etc.
    hope this is of help

Denis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Way too complicated, way too many effects, gradients, bits and bobs. Simple logos are almost always the best as they're easy to remember (branding 101).

A flat 'AMP' without the white strikethrough line with a basic graphic equaliser motif and bolder an better proportioned 'soundsystems' text in a similar layout and max 3 colours would be much better imo.

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    Way too complicated, way too many effects, gradients, bits and bobs. Simple logos are almost always the best as they're easy to remember (branding 101).

Very good point. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Dixy

I designed this for my startup and it works fairly well on just about everything
    PCSlogo1.jpg
    www.pcscomputers.ie

I saw your comments on the post! Thanks very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭stinky eggs

K im nout to do with design so maybe someone who doesnt look at all aspects opinion might be appreciated.. or u could say I dont know what Im talking about..

But when I saw it first.. it took me 2 or 3 seconds to realise it said amp?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,000 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree with the points about the strike through, and the sound equaliser bit being too big. I think if it were simpler the colour gradient would be ok, but the point about it being raster is true.

Ok - we are on to draft 21!!!

Hopefully this one has solved most issues that you have all mentioned.

What do ya think:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150301207375604&set=a.10150301207345604.534639.156567775603

Thanks for all comments so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Still too complicated. The gradients don't scale well. I would dump them all and stick to 2, maybe 3 flat colours.

tricky D wrote: »
    stick to 2, maybe 3 flat colours.

I did get a draft like that, and it really looked crap! I will try and dig it out and will PM you a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

The universal rule of keeping it simple should apply here. The logo looks washed out and busy at the same time - too much going on. You also don't strictly need the URL in the logo either..would advise dropping it.

Instead of tweaking it, I would get rid and start with a different concept altogether.

You have 3 different colours there and multiple shades and gradients in between. If you take a look over the best looking logos out there, they generally use just two colours. Check out www.soundshop.ie or www.aviva.ie. Just two random examples but see how effective and clean they are and how they integrate with the rest of the page design.

If I were you I'd simply try making the 'AMP' all red, reduce the size of the font, and make the 'sound systems' orange. No gradients/shades. Reducing the size of the 'sound systems' to fit underneath 'AMP' should work well as it just looks a bit oversized and clunky at the minute.

Just my 2c as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Is there any place you could post the 21 or so drafts and we could vote on the best?
    Photoshop has a way of displaying your picture multiple times, all with slight changes and differences, need to look it up.
    The design is great, I'm not sure on the colours (slightly faint in the middle perhaps). Have you tried printing it? Sometimes looking at it for a while on a page will give you different ideas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement