Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unmarried Mothers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

caseyann wrote: »
    Completely non working and claiming,taking on responsibility of living together and possibly having a child.
    Why on earth would anyone move in with someone when they can not take care of themselves.:confused:
    They have gotten into the trap that most people are forced into unwillingly,willingly.That is no life and beyond bizarre the social would entertain them without a child.
    They must be claiming their benefits together.
    If she is looking for a job she will lose out on the rent and they will lower their contribution.
    To give you a bit of background Caseyann, the male is a poster boy for long term welfare dependency, no qualifications or desire to attain any, very poor attitude and appearance (piercings etc) and his entire direct family appear to be on welfare. I wouldn't think they need to worry about him taking up employment and lowering their entitlements LOL. She is looking for employment like I said, but would probably refuse formal work in favour of cash in hand type jobs. It is a poverty trap, but putting the necessary supports in place to help people like that is expensive and probably ineffectual when he will probably never hold down a job for longer than a week anyway. That said he is not typical of people on welfare, and i would never suggest that he is, but there will always be people who will milk the system if given a chance.

And the reason they would move in together is that the state provide accomodation for them, neither of them are over 25 and it is perfectly reasonable to expect them to move home with their parents unless there is some reason that they can't, i'm not aware that there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

mickeyk wrote: »
    To give you a bit of background Caseyann, the male is a poster boy for long term welfare dependency, no qualifications or desire to attain any, very poor attitude and appearance (piercings etc) and his entire direct family appear to be on welfare. I wouldn't think they need to worry about him taking up employment and lowering their entitlements LOL. She is looking for employment like I said, but would probably refuse formal work in favour of cash in hand type jobs. It is a poverty trap, but putting the necessary supports in place to help people like that is expensive and probably ineffectual when he will probably never hold down a job for longer than a week anyway. That said he is not typical of people on welfare, and i would never suggest that he is, but there will always be people who will milk the system if given a chance.

And the reason they would move in together is that the state provide accomodation for them, neither of them are over 25 and it is perfectly reasonable to expect them to move home with their parents unless there is some reason that they can't, i'm not aware that there is.

That is were my idea for making these guys work for the council etc.. as helpers no need to pay them as they are already paid,and if they dont stay in the job allocated for them then they dont get paid.
    I can understand women having no real incentive or courage to get a job when alone with a child,(Not to mention if only recently in a job,I have heard now if you have a child women are not been given jobs like they used to be in Ireland.As fear of not been able to provide along with child care and medical bills.I do not understand how any single healthy male or female can not be forced into the work force with jobs allocated for what they are reciving on the social.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

That is were my idea for making these guys work for the council etc.. as helpers no need to pay them as they are already paid,and if they dont stay in the job allocated for them then they dont get paid.
    I can understand women having no real incentive or courage to get a job when alone with a child,(Not to mention if only recently in a job,I have heard now if you have a child women are not been given jobs like they used to be in Ireland.As fear of not been able to provide along with child care and medical bills.I do not understand how any single healthy male or female can not be forced into the work force with jobs allocated for what they are reciving on the social.
    This was discussed on another thread some time ago and is not as clear cut as you may think. For a start you'd be putting current council workers out of a job by making welfare recipients work for the council, same goes for community projects etc. I would however like to see the FAS community employment scheme and Rural social scheme expanded due to the growing numbers on the live register. I think the suggestion is fair enough but only after a certain period of time, for arguments sake 2-3 years. Is it fair for example to make ex Dell workers sweep the steets etc, when there are no jobs available for them, I would bet that there isn't one of them who would refuse a job, why add to their despair and embaressment? Now is not the right time to introduce this type of scheme. Of course if you have somebody who is on the dole long term and refuses to take up training or employment schemes then they should have their payments cut off. The welfare system is completely overwhelmed at the moment and our training and employment network is not designed to handle a live register of 439,000 people. Most of these are willing and able to work, but through no fault of their own are out of a job at the moment. This thread is about single parents, but even if you were to offer single parents free childcare where would they work? There are no jobs, and not everybody is cut out to be an entrepreneur, despite Bill Cullen telling them to get off their arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

gurramok wrote: »
    A couple gets slightly less than a couple with 1 kid. About 100 quid difference in RS for Dublin. Thats not much of a difference to NOT get that nice gaff.

Think we agree that we have to remove the incentive for welfare couples married or not to have more kids without been able to support them.

Think what I was getting at was to incentivise marriage to help stamp out the fraudsters.(the ones who have a working boyf living with them on the sly) as I believe thats widespread.

The reason the fraudsters are there is the high rates of benefits. If you cut single parent payments but give higher marriage welfare payments, you are incentivising marriage alright! They'll just get married and claim the higher benefits.

The problem isn't that they are single parents, it's that they are welfare fraudsters. Change the system, they'll follow the changes to whatever is financially better for them.

gurramok wrote:
    It will remove the incentive to just have kids in order to get higher RS and add an incentive to work hard for that nice gaff.

As I said here recently, I as a worker had to compete with single mothers to get accommodation in Castleknock & Ballsbridge in the 1000-1200 price range, thats grossly unfair. If the RS was reduced, that single mother will have to work to afford a gaff in one of those areas hence making it more fair.

I suppose that makes sense financially. Keeps the riff raff out too! ;)
    Its quite attainable. Even easier down the country as other entitlements can make up the shortfall as rent is less expensive. Finding 130 extra between them in Dublin or 80 quid in Wexford is what they have to find.
    http://www.dsfa.ie/GA/Press/PressReleases/2010/Pages/pr100610.aspx?cssFont=Contrast

A couple with one kid gets the same money in RS as a single parent with one kid. No wonder there is fraud as it pays not to declare as a couple.

It is probably based on the assumption that the man and woman need one bedroom.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

K-9 wrote: »
    The reason the fraudsters are there is the high rates of benefits. If you cut single parent payments but give higher marriage welfare payments, you are incentivising marriage alright! They'll just get married and claim the higher benefits.

The problem isn't that they are single parents, it's that they are welfare fraudsters. Change the system, they'll follow the changes to whatever is financially better for them.
    Maybe we need to change the system to incentivise marriage and then change it back after a few years whilst making divorce prohibitively expensive :p

A voucher system is the way to go imho. Make welfare a painful place to be and there'll be less on it.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Maybe we need to change the system to incentivise marriage and then change it back after a few years whilst making divorce prohibitively expensive :p

A voucher system is the way to go imho. Make welfare a painful place to be and there'll be less on it.

While our system is too generous and the welfare trap is way too high, I wouldn't like a US type system. Far too many homeless people for my liking. We have homeless here too obviously, but I think a balance is better.

Anyway, it really is simple. All these sister in laws and neighbours people know, report and keep reporting. Far too much guilt about reporting in this country. Also change the rules that if you are convicted of welfare fraud, you can't get anymore welfare.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Thats not how you convince people in this country. give a 100 euro bounty for everyone who reports a welfare fraud and I bet we'd make the money back within a month :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

While our system is too generous and the welfare trap is way too high, I wouldn't like a US type system. Far too many homeless people for my liking. We have homeless here too obviously, but I think a balance is better.
    Why would rent/food/clothing vouchers cause homelessness? :confused:

If anything it should help get people who would otherwise be happy to live on welfare forever off their arses and ensure that welfare is spent feeding, housing and clothing the family rather than being pissed away in the pub or down the bookies...

There'd be an inevitable black market of people using vouchers to buy grocery items which they'd sell on to get money for drink etc. but on the whole it would seem a better system to ensure that welfare spending is actually spent on providing the essentials for people in need rather than adding to the bottom line of Paddy Powers acounts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Anyway, it really is simple. All these sister in laws and neighbours people know, report and keep reporting. Far too much guilt about reporting in this country. Also change the rules that if you are convicted of welfare fraud, you can't get anymore welfare.

It has been done. Its too hard to prove the man is living there.
    K-9 wrote:
    It is probably based on the assumption that the man and woman need one bedroom.

Yes maybe. But you can see it from a scammer point of view. Why bother claim as a couple when they can claim as a single parent while the man can work while still living there illegally yet RS stays the same.

If they stayed as a couple and the man found work, they will lose the RS which means hardship.

mickeyk wrote: »
    This was discussed on another thread some time ago and is not as clear cut as you may think. For a start you'd be putting current council workers out of a job by making welfare recipients work for the council, same goes for community projects etc. I would however like to see the FAS community employment scheme and Rural social scheme expanded due to the growing numbers on the live register. I think the suggestion is fair enough but only after a certain period of time, for arguments sake 2-3 years. Is it fair for example to make ex Dell workers sweep the steets etc, when there are no jobs available for them, I would bet that there isn't one of them who would refuse a job, why add to their despair and embaressment? Now is not the right time to introduce this type of scheme. Of course if you have somebody who is on the dole long term and refuses to take up training or employment schemes then they should have their payments cut off. The welfare system is completely overwhelmed at the moment and our training and employment network is not designed to handle a live register of 439,000 people. Most of these are willing and able to work, but through no fault of their own are out of a job at the moment. This thread is about single parents, but even if you were to offer single parents free childcare where would they work? There are no jobs, and not everybody is cut out to be an entrepreneur, despite Bill Cullen telling them to get off their arses.

Ofc it wouldnt they would only be assisting the people who already work for the council.Or stick them out in the country parts of dublin cork etc... and they pick up the rubbish.
    And i am not talking about people who just recently lost job through redundancy on short term welfare.
    They dont have to let anyone else go to bring in people to assist them in their work.Plenty of places i can think of areas wise they could give them paint and brushes and clean them up.
    Might give them incentive to rise in their jobs or seek something that they want to do.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Why would rent/food/clothing vouchers cause homelessness? :confused:

If anything it should help get people who would otherwise be happy to live on welfare forever off their arses and ensure that welfare is spent feeding, housing and clothing the family rather than being pissed away in the pub or down the bookies...

There'd be an inevitable black market of people using vouchers to buy grocery items which they'd sell on to get money for drink etc. but on the whole it would seem a better system to ensure that welfare spending is actually spent on providing the essentials for people in need rather than adding to the bottom line of Paddy Powers acounts...

As long as it covers rent, it shouldn't.
    It has been done. Its too hard to prove the man is living there.

It could easily be proved. All it takes is a few mornings stationed outside the house. I'd say not enough resources are targeted at fraud. In fairness why would they? Sure they just get docked a few quid anyway. It probably isn't worth it for the savings involved.
    gurramok wrote:
    Yes maybe. But you can see it from a scammer point of view. Why bother claim as a couple when they can claim as a single parent while the man can work while still living there illegally yet RS stays the same.

If they stayed as a couple and the man found work, they will lose the RS which means hardship.

They'll just get a job paying cash and keep everything. Instead of being single parents scamming the system, they join the ranks of the married spongers.

Again it comes back to: single parents defrauding welfare are welfare frauds first, single parents second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

...and yet another thread is starting to descend once again into a right wing rant about anyone on welfare. Thanks very much for making me click through 2/3 pages of muck, you could just post either "omfg scumbags on welfare, lets shoot them in the head!!!" or "dirty welfare scum, they should be made work on my farm for their money, picking cotton and calling me Mas'er" - wouldve made the same old, tired, rediculous right wing points with fewer words.

"yes'um Mas'er, we be lookin' forwards to gettin our well earned welfare checks. Ah hopes Mas'er be happy now with all dem cottons we been pickin' for you, yessum Mas'er, we dones a good jobs for you."

Hell, if you do good enough, you might even progress from picking cotton to getting a job on a WPP !!! Oh how proud you'll be when that day comes!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

RedXIV wrote: »
    Thats not how you convince people in this country. give a 100 euro bounty for everyone who reports a welfare fraud and I bet we'd make the money back within a month :D
    I agree, the government really should implement this type of scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Nehaxak wrote: »
    ...and yet another thread is starting to descend once again into a right wing rant about anyone on welfare. Thanks very much for making me click through 2/3 pages of muck, you could just post either "omfg scumbags on welfare, lets shoot them in the head!!!" or "dirty welfare scum, they should be made work on my farm for their money, picking cotton and calling me Mas'er" - wouldve made the same old, tired, rediculous right wing points with fewer words.

"yes'um Mas'er, we be lookin' forwards to gettin our well earned welfare checks. Ah hopes Mas'er be happy now with all dem cottons we been pickin' for you, yessum Mas'er, we dones a good jobs for you."

Hell, if you do good enough, you might even progress from picking cotton to getting a job on a WPP !!! Oh how proud you'll be when that day comes!
    Ironic using a slave (slomeone who WORKS for NO PAY) as a comparison to a welfare fraudster (someone who gets PAID for NO WORK).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Glenalla wrote: »
    I agree, the government really should implement this type of scheme.

If it were properly maintained it could work!

We'd probably have just as many incorrect reports as correct ones, but imagine if we found out 100 cases from this. that'd be 10,000 paid out to people and potentially hundreds of thousands saved still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

You think a standard 40 hour week for the standard dole - 198 euro is fair?? thats miles less the minimum wage and remember it costs money to work. that 198 wouldnt last half the week unless the worker settled for living in abject poverty.

Most people with JA/JB are entitled to it and are out of work through no fault of their own, and in case you havent noticed there are slim pickings on the jobs market.

the few who do sponge and claim all sorts of entitlements illigally are greedy, and if the companies payed working class people a decent wage then it wouldnt be so attractive to live on welfare to them, if they are greedy enough to lie to the government and sponge they would greedily take up a decent paying job.

If they want people who sponge off the system to get out and work then the lower end jobs need to stop paying them buttons and actually make it beneficial for them to work.

anyone earning less then 17,000 a year is probably better off on the dole, at least they can get a house/flat from the gov and have a life and free health care , sure when would they ever afford all that on the buttons jobs pay them. While i'm all for being an upstanding and contributing member of society, Humans Beings will choose the best mode of survival first, when it comes down to the choice of working for nothing to help make the company owners richer, having no free time and being treated like **** by there bosses OR having a poor yet reasonable life on welfare then the choice is obvious.

There is the WWP2 scheme, (I believe thats the correct name) where people on the dole can work in order to "keep there skills fresh and current" and they dont get payed, just remain on the dole. That sounds nice, but considering its very very difficult to get by if a person is renting somewhere, paying bills, and eating, throw in the cost of commuting,lunches and working daily and it actually works out as slave labour. most of these WWP2 jobs on offer are in call centers or newsagents and deli's. Yeah really up skilling there arent they.
    Its a joke

And for the record i'm not on the dole but have been before.

murphaph wrote: »
    Ironic using a slave (slomeone who WORKS for NO PAY) as a comparison to a welfare fraudster (someone who gets PAID for NO WORK).

You obviously didnt understand the post, it was using a slave metaphor for the idea some people are throwing around that someone who is on welfare should be subservient to people on the payroll and forced to work for their welfare. which would indeed be slavery.

DO PEOPLE ACTUALLY REALISE HOW LITTLE A PERSON GETS ON THE DOLE??
    And considering Ireland is one of the top 10 most expensive countries to live in ON THE PLANET with dublin being in the top 5 most expensive cities to live in.
    I cant see how a person who - doesnt live with mom or dad, rents a flat/apartment or a room in a shared tenancy house can make ends meet on 198 a week.
    Rent - 90
    Food- 40
    Credit - 10
    Internet- about 10 per week
    esb - 15 per week
    toletries and other household things - 15
    TV - 15 per week
    clothes - cant afford them!
    night out - impossible
    social life - impossible
    Car- impossible
    Furniter if something breaks and is needed - impossible
    If they smoke ciggerettes they are totally screwed

thats all the dole gone!

ANd thats before that persons even left the house to get a bus and try find work!!
    So if a fraudster finds this is a better option then working THE LOW END JOBS ARE NOT PAYING ENOUGH

stop this dole bashing people and stop blaming the poor on the economic situation.

If everyone wasnt so greedy a few years ago and running up debts left right and center with credit cards and mortgages they couldnt afford, while the greedy banks advised people to do so, then we wouldnt be in this situation and there would not be 175000 people on the dole.

Guitareaxe wrote: »
    You obviously didnt understand the post, it was using a slave metaphor for the idea some people are throwing around that someone who is on welfare should be subservient to people on the payroll and forced to work for their welfare. which would indeed be slavery.

And considering Ireland is one of the top 10 most expensive countries to live in ON THE PLANET with dublin being in the top 5 most expensive cities to live in.
    I cant see how a person who - doesnt live with mom or dad, rents a flat/apartment or a room in a shared tenancy house can make ends meet on 198 a week.
    Rent - 90
    Food- 40
    Credit - 10
    esb - 15 per week
    TV - 15 per week
    night out - impossible
    social life - impossible
    Car- impossible

thats all the dole gone!

ANd thats before that persons even left the house to get a bus and try find work!!
    So if a fraudster finds this is a better option then working THE LOW END JOBS ARE NOT PAYING ENOUGH

stop this dole bashing people and stop blaming the poor on the economic situation.

If everyone wasnt so greedy a few years ago and running up debts left right and center with credit cards and mortgages they couldnt afford, while the greedy banks advised people to do so, then we wouldnt be in this situation and there would not be 175000 people on the dole.
    I understood his point perfectly, just disagree with it. You totally ignored the myriad of other benefits open to the unemployed in your example above AND you include things I suggest are not essential AND your rent and ESB, internet (if necessary!) are sky high for someone living in a shared house, even in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Rent - 90
    Food- 40
    Credit - 10
    esb - 15 per week
    TV - 15 per week
    night out - impossible
    social life - impossible
    Car- impossible

thats all the dole gone!

Rent - 90 - Rent Allowance
    Food- 40 - Plenty
    Credit - Luxury item use email - Only top up phone to keep in service to recieve calls
    Internet- 15 - Required for job hunting
    esb - 15 per week
    toletries and other household things - 15 - Generous
    TV - Luxury - Nothing you cant do on t'internet
    clothes - cant afford them! - You're not looking hard enough.
    night out - impossible - luxury
    social life - impossible - luxury
    Car- impossible - unnecessary
    If they smoke ciggerettes they are totally screwed - Stupid luxury

It is easy to live on the dole.
    I've done it in the past when it was a loss less and the consumer price index was higher.
    The dole is not there to provide luxuries, it is there to provide basic necessities and to assist in the acquirement of a job.
    Night out indeed...

You think a standard 40 hour week for the standard dole - 198 euro is fair?? thats miles less the minimum wage and remember it costs money to work. that 198 wouldnt last half the week unless the worker settled for living in abject poverty.

Most people with JA/JB are entitled to it and are out of work through no fault of their own, and in case you havent noticed there are slim pickings on the jobs market.

the few who do sponge and claim all sorts of entitlements illigally are greedy, and if the companies payed working class people a decent wage then it wouldnt be so attractive to live on welfare to them, if they are greedy enough to lie to the government and sponge they would greedily take up a decent paying job.

If they want people who sponge off the system to get out and work then the lower end jobs need to stop paying them buttons and actually make it beneficial for them to work.

anyone earning less then 17,000 a year is probably better off on the dole, at least they can get a house/flat from the gov and have a life and free health care , sure when would they ever afford all that on the buttons jobs pay them. While i'm all for being an upstanding and contributing member of society, Humans Beings will choose the best mode of survival first, when it comes down to the choice of working for nothing to help make the company owners richer, having no free time and being treated like **** by there bosses OR having a poor yet reasonable life on welfare then the choice is obvious.

There is the WWP2 scheme, (I believe thats the correct name) where people on the dole can work in order to "keep there skills fresh and current" and they dont get payed, just remain on the dole. That sounds nice, but considering its very very difficult to get by if a person is renting somewhere, paying bills, and eating, throw in the cost of commuting,lunches and working daily and it actually works out as slave labour. most of these WWP2 jobs on offer are in call centers or newsagents and deli's. Yeah really up skilling there arent they.
    Its a joke

And for the record i'm not on the dole but have been before.

No i didnt say that,i meant for the rate the hours sorry,should have been clearer,and not to those who have genuine reason to be not working or on short term unemployment.
    I will read the rest of what you said now :)

Finished reading what you said and nothing to add but i agree with you,if they feel safer on the welfare and its consistent,rather then get a job where you dont know if you can pay your rent on the minimum wage and bills.They wont be overly enthusiastic about working.
    I merely said give them work like i said above,meaning part time hours so they are out doing something might encourage them and give some the self confidence and self esteem to find other work.Or if they hate what they are doing they will find something they do like.
    But long term unemployed need to feel like the money is been worked for.Unmarried mothers are in alot of cases stuck in a rut with no way out.
    Like if they were given flexible jobs to work in schools or other likes while their children are in school,but cant be denied days off when kids arent in school(unless ofc they get a baby sitter) And when the kids are sick whom ever they are working for can not sack them or stop them for going to their child,you would see hell of alot more single parents back out in work.
    I know so many of them that are stressed beyond belief if they want to go looking for jobs and have no back ups to mind their kids.

• Advertisement

Zamboni wrote: »
    Rent - 90 - Rent Allowance
    Food- 40 - Plenty
    Credit - Luxury item use email - Only top up phone to keep in service to recieve calls
    Internet- 15 - Required for job hunting
    esb - 15 per week
    toletries and other household things - 15 - Generous
    TV - Luxury - Nothing you cant do on t'internet
    clothes - cant afford them! - You're not looking hard enough.
    night out - impossible - luxury
    social life - impossible - luxury
    Car- impossible - unnecessary
    If they smoke ciggerettes they are totally screwed - Stupid luxury

I've done it in the past when it was a loss less and the consumer price index was higher.
    The dole is not there to provide luxuries, it is there to provide basic necessities and to assist in the acquirement of a job.
    Night out indeed...

I hope you arent including children in your budget :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Zamboni wrote: »
    Night out indeed...

People in this country seem to think the night out is an entitlement (isn't that word getting old). If I was on the dole, socialising would be my absolute lowest priority.

You're never better off on the dole. 17k a year is pittance but you will at least get the satisfaction that you earned it which for me, is almost as important as getting a wage at the end of the week.

As for the WPP scheme, well whilst it is being abused you shouldn't worry too much about it. Next to no one is going to work in a call center for free as I wouldn't even do it if I was getting payed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

no wonder jobs are scarce, sitting in the car this morning outside the local shop i realised the following,
    the local hackney ex gaurd
    the home help ex head nt
    doing a survey ex head nt
    collecting the pools as above
    collecting for life insurance more of the same
    i could go on but i am just tormenting myself
    i do not begrudge any of the above their little tommers, BUT what chance has an unemployed person of getting something when people with the above cvs apply not to mention their nice ps pensions.

RichardAnd wrote: »
    People in this country seem to think the night out is an entitlement (isn't that word getting old). If I was on the dole, socialising would be my absolute lowest priority.

i was just pointing out that luxuries such as this are impossible as many seem to think people on the dole live a life of luxury paid for by hard working people.
    I dont drink myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ha funny title "unamarried mothers"...are we back in 1986?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Greyfox

RichardAnd wrote: »
    You're never better off on the dole. 17k a year is pittance but you will at least get the satisfaction that you earned it which for me, is almost as important as getting a wage at the end of the week.

As for the WPP scheme, well whilst it is being abused you shouldn't worry too much about it. Next to no one is going to work in a call center for free as I wouldn't even do it if I was getting payed.

If your only earning €17,000 a year your definitely better off on the dole!

That feeling of satisfaction is overratted when you consider that instead of doing that job you don't like, for about €40 less (getting rent all) you can spend those 45(including travel time) hours a week doing something you can enjoy doing instead. People forget that people on the minimum wage have to pay rent, travel and lunch costs out of their pay while people on the dole can get a handy rent allowance meaning dole money can easily be €198 + €90, as well as free healthcare you can clearly see why so many people would prefer this then slaving away in a crap job for a little bit more money.

ha funny title "unamarried mothers"...are we back in 1986?

Economically speaking... yes:P

Greyfox wrote: »
    If your only earning €17,000 a year your definitely better off on the dole!

That feeling of satisfaction is overratted when you consider that instead of doing that job you don't like, for about €40 less (getting rent all) you can spend those 45(including travel time) hours a week doing something you can enjoy doing instead. People forget that people on the minimum wage have to pay rent, travel and lunch costs out of their pay while people on the dole can get a handy rent allowance meaning dole money can easily be €198 + €90, as well as free healthcare you can clearly see why so many people would prefer this then slaving away in a crap job for a little bit more money.
    ...and in the process allowing other people to slave away to pay for their "entitlements". I'm with Richard: I have never been on the dole and would never want to be on it if I could earn enough to live on. I was "entitled" to the dole once in my life, but didn't claim it as I'd made provision for myself while working (ie, not blowing all my money on junk plasma screen TVs and new cars and ratching up the CC like so many idiots).

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    ...and in the process allowing other people to slave away to pay for their "entitlements". I'm with Richard: I have never been on the dole and would never want to be on it if I could earn enough to live on. I was "entitled" to the dole once in my life, but didn't claim it as I'd made provision for myself while working (ie, not blowing all my money on junk plasma screen TVs and new cars and ratching up the CC like so many idiots).

+1

I was unemployed for a few months after leaving college but like yourself, I refused to draw the dole even when everyone told me I was entitled to it. Instead, I joined a covers band and played at weddings and parties until something came up. I'd only draw the dole as an absolute last resort.

Advertisement