Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,002 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There is talk of 5 or 6 concert gigs for PUC next year, Westlife have 2 rescheduled could Bruce and Ed be returning?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    There is talk of 5 or 6 concert gigs for PUC next year, Westlife have 2 rescheduled could Bruce and Ed be returning?

I'd imagine anyone who's got a guitar will be touring next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Hate to go back to the original thread :D but I hear that the council are finally engaging with residents over parking. That's a long overdue step and won't be pretty....

Elton John for 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

It was a total disaster up by me, churchyard lane by the key was literally blocked and I had to reverse back towards the Key and get to my place via the well road

Bruce, Garth and Ed all rumoured for next year

Westlife already rescheduled

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Ed Sheeran confirmed for April 28 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Ed confirmed this morning. last thursday in April

Echo Live

PLANS to house 80 refugees in Páirc Uí Chaoimh for a number of weeks have been confirmed by the Department of Integration.

A spokesperson told The Echo that the department has contracted Páirc Uí Caoimh to accommodate people seeking international protection.

• Advertisement

Bruce rumoured for 2 return shows in 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭thomil

I don't exactly have High Hopes, but hopefully, PUC management is Working on a Dream in that regard. A stadium filler like Bruce would go a long way towards dispelling the Darkness on the Edge of Town that seems to have settled over the stadium in recent years.

Okay, that's enough Springsteen puns...for now... 😉

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭PreCocious

A lovely location down by The River

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭thomil

The Boss is coming back to PUC:

Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band returning to Ireland — and confirm Cork date (irishexaminer.com)

Confirmed for May 16th, 2024, tickets go on sale from November 6th. I guess I'll be trying my luck to get some tickets, that guy isn't getting any younger...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

incredible stuff from Cork GAA here. Essentially admitting to turning a blind eye towards illegal parking whilst rallying against Bus Connects and the Marina pedestrianised area ....

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Lol, what? PuC has loads of parking, as well as parking nearby at Marina Park, a bus route passes it, and it is easily walkable for those able to from the city centre where there are thousands of empty car parking spaces. An access road is even being designed into the Marina Promenda works. If PuC can't operate because that parking isn't sufficient, something many European cities get on fine with, it should be shut down. Musgrave Park gets on just fine too, and doesn't have the benefit of ample space to illegally park.

As for PuR, exact same but add a 5 minute walk. Why that stadium still exists and isn't replaced by high dentisty housing I'll never know, especially when PuC is barely used relatively speaking. We don't need two big GAA stadiums in one city, let alone right next to eachother.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

One is a big stadium the other is a small stadium. Cork has always had a 45,000 capacity venue and it has always paid for itself. Similar headlines about viability were around the first time PUC was developed. AI Finals were played in the old athletic grounds before then, PUC is an essential piece of the sporting and cultural infrastructure of Cork and it's viability should be protected. The issue is around access to the car parking not the parking itself. The City Council granted permission for this car parking (which is essential for a sports stadium) and now want to essentially **** access off to it! Cork GAA want a seperate vehicle access in to facilitate the Marina works. If that doesn't happen you push parking to the adjoining estates.

As for PUR yeah a bit of moaning about bus connects is a bit overstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

But PUC did't pay for itself, it got significant government funding and still led Cork GAA into an unsustainable debt that precipitated Páirc An Chrocaigh Teoranta taking over the commercial aspects of the stadium. Cork probably does warrant a 40k capacity stadium but it needs to be municipal or like Pairc Ui Caoimh it will end up vastly underused. How many times did it get over 40k spectators in 2023? Once for a rugby game.

In fairness every major stadium in Ireland gets some state funding from Croke Park to the Aviva to Tallaght Stadium to Thomond Park to facilitate their development. The point being the overhang from the last time was paid off and so will the remaining debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Unreal stuff alright. No one should be driving to these venues apart from people with blue badges. Better bus lanes will actually allow more people to get to the stadia. The county board could organise better park and ride access instead of complaining about pedestrians and buses. They could have built an out-of-town stadium on a greenfield site if they wanted everyone to drive there.

The City Council granted the permission for the car parking therefore it is an expectation that you could drive to the car park! They are now attempting to change the goalposts (excuse the pun) Theres loads of transport options to PUC. Have you ever tried to get to Croke Park or the Gaelic Grounds? Absolute nightmares and far further from transport options. As for out of town stadiums they are hardly sustainable type developments. Great to have facilities like this in the City Centre, great to have the crowds the atmosphere and the fantastic contribution the GAA has made to revitalising and regenerating what was an absolute kip of an area. The amount of bitching about PUC is unreal from certain quarters. Let's facilitate it being a better stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Have you ever seen the state of the parking on the streets around Turners Cross (average attendance 3,500) when there's a match on? Turners Cross is around 1.5km from Patrick Street.

Do you think anyone should be driving to Turners Cross or is it only Pairc Ui Chaoimh people shouldn't be able to drive to?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Gaelic Grounds has a stop on the 343 right outside and the 302 comes pretty close at a 6/8 min walk.

It's way easier than PuC but PuC has a very simple solution and that's park and ride and shuttle buses from Kent station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

There is no way people should be driving to Turners Cross either. If Cork City came out against Busconnects people would be equally annoyed but as far as I know they haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

the fantastic contribution the GAA has made to revitalising and regenerating what was an absolute kip of an area. 

@rebs23 other than build a stadium that is empty most of the time, what have the GAA done to revitalise the area?

A kip? The Marina? A beautiful walking area by the river , three rowing clubs, coffee stand, a riverside vilage with weekly market, a scout hall, the Atlantic pond park, Holland park. Yeah, a right kip! No doubt, the property values reflect this! I wonder if local residents were canvassed would they be effusive about the contribution of the GAA to the area?

Long before PUC was ever built, the area was an extremely popular leisure and sports area. My parents always spoke fondly of the area.

So, what have the GAA actually done for the area?

Post edited by the beer revolu on

As part of the redevelopment the old Showgrounds wall was demolished, two new pedestrian bridges over the small canal, access all around the stadium with lights so you can use the area at night. Before these works there was no way you'd walk around the stadium at night or the new public green areas created at either side of the training pitch. Great to be able to walk around it watch some of the teams training. The place is busy now because of the redevelopment, before that no way would you go down there at night. It's completely opened up the area. As a local it's a massive positive change.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

They installed a plastic training pitch on land earmarked for the marina park.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Cork GAA wanted to put a large wall around the 4g pitch blocking access and blocking people from watching the trainings you quote as a positive.

They fought to make the concourse between the stadium and 4g pitch narrower in an attempt to cut off access between the two parks. They wanted to make the new park isolated and unsustainable.

They tried to grab the land earmarked for the only children's playground in Blackrock for a few parking places.

The secret car park is locked most of the time denying access to the wider Cork community. If parking was a problem down there surely they would leave it open to the community.

10 years later they still haven't met the planning conditions of the new stadium for cycle parking, lighting on the marina and a few other smaller things. Further proof they have no interest in making it easier for people to get to the stadium.

I live nearby and nothing beats the buzz on a championship Sunday with crowds about or a good concert but Cork GAA but lets not pretend Cork GAA care less about the local community or Cork in general and they are only interested in grabbing what they can for as little as they can. They are a private organisation and that's fine but don't try and coat them as anything other that a bunch of greedy mercenaries who would pave over the whole marina if they though they could get away with it. They are the worst possible neighbours and add zero to the community.

Also My parent live near PUR and if a bus lane outside PUR make it unsustainable then so be it. There's not a single resident will be sorry to see it turned into apartments or houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭65535

Páirc Uí Chaoimh,

Ballinlough Pitch and Putt Club,

Páirc Uí Rinn,

Cork Constitution FC,

Avondale United Football,

Ballinlough GAA Pitch

All in the one area and then theres the possibility of a Funeral at Jerh O'Connor Funeral Home

No where to park for ANY of these places - there was an opportunity to build a high rise car park but brown envelopes ensured that 'Aylesbury' was built in the old Eircom Place next door to Cork Constitution FC.

During games the residents are locked into their homes, cars parked (With Garda Compliance) on double yellow lines, corners, Grass verges and bicycle lanes.

Advertisement