Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you expect to see in rural Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bookworm2

Some people only talk to you to find out who you are and why your in town.[/QUOTE]

sure, why else would they talk to a stranger, Stranger Danger, hello?!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

bookworm2 wrote: »
    Some people only talk to you to find out who you are and why your in town.

sure, why else would they talk to a stranger, Stranger Danger, hello?!!!!![/QUOTE]

seeing strangers as always been out to get something at the expense of rural folk is often seen in rural areas!

Power cuts that last for several hours because paddy the farmer reversed his trailer into the pole in his yard!

edit: fair plé to the esb for replacing it so quickly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

mariaf24 wrote: »
    A poster on the window of the 'local' pub saying:

Saturday Night - Crystal Swing

:pac:

Ah now it's probably a cover band; Crystal Scwhing or Crystal Swingers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

been dere done dat

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

A poster on the window of the 'local' pub saying:

Saturday Night - Crystal Swing

:pac:

They got the Joe Dolan gig then did they? God love the poor person who had to sweep up all the aul ones knickers off the stage after a Joe gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Niall558

Leprechauns and fairy folks dancing around trees in the middle of a nice big field covered in cow **** while across the road you have scumbags starting fights at the local Supermac's. Thats the first image i get when thinking of the country folk also Pubs .............. lots and lots of pubs and the odd banshee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Your mother doing the walk of shame.

Wahey!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Power cuts that last for several hours because paddy the farmer reversed his trailer into the pole in his yard!

edit: fair plé to the esb for replacing it so quickly...

Naw we don't get that but we got a power cut this may for a full week ( my Aunt got 2 weeks) and it was all caused by the snow that came which pulled the telephone wires down!:eek: Over 6 foot drifts and my cousin in ballymoney couldn't find her car and this was the start of summer!! I think my mum nearly had 3 accidents and that hill it was that slippy, so she decided to stay off work for a week until the snow cleared up- there was still some snow left up there about 3 weeks ago. There it is with a foot of snow and it already looks bad, a foot is common here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlwwMf-PAW4 that ain't two inches i was there that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

owenc wrote: »
    I think my mum nearly had 3 accidents and that hill it was that slippy, so she decided to stay off work for a week until the snow cleared up- there was still some snow left up there about 3 weeks ago.

So she took a nice long holiday, eh? ;)

• Advertisement

So she took a nice long holiday, eh? ;)

A week isn't long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

A week isn't long.

Whoops, ignore me. I failed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Down with that sort of thing. Careful now!

Down with Dogging???? you need to get out more .....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Stag hunting...oh, wait nevermind :o

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Naw we don't get that but we got a power cut this may for a full week ( my Aunt got 2 weeks) and it was all caused by the snow that came which pulled the telephone wires down!:eek: Over 6 foot drifts and my cousin in ballymoney couldn't find her car and this was the start of summer!! I think my mum nearly had 3 accidents and that hill it was that slippy, so she decided to stay off work for a week until the snow cleared up- there was still some snow left up there about 3 weeks ago. There it is with a foot of snow and it already looks bad, a foot is common here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlwwMf-PAW4 that ain't two inches i was there that time.

Love the cool music.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jennytightlips

lots of bitching...you cant have a p**s without the whole town knowing!!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jamestdelaney

Small town blues Jenny hear what your saying

shampon wrote: »
    Love the cool music.:rolleyes:

Aww thanks what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

Fences and gate posts made out of old bits of railway lines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

merengueca wrote: »

Or, as I saw once, an old iron bed.

• Advertisement

I think your back in the 1900s... is it like that in the north west?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I think your back in the 1900s... is it like that in the north west?

Same down here in the South East.

super-rush wrote: »
    Same down here in the South East.

Opps i ment North west England sorry, so you have those fences lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Opps i ment North west England sorry, so you have those fences lol?

I remember helping a neighbour put up a new gate in one of his fields. Two old railway sleepers at each side with two car doors welded together as the gate itself. Then we nailed sheets of galvanise to the doors so nothing could get through the windows. That was about 20 years ago and the gate is still there.

I've seen plenty of that around here as well!

Plus a fence made of pallets.

I remember helping a neighbour put up a new gate in one of his fields. Two old railway sleepers at each side with two car doors welded together as the gate itself. Then we nailed sheets of galvanise to the doors so nothing could get through the windows. That was about 20 years ago and the gate is still there.

Many cars still have an afterlife in Ireland ;)

Well i've never seen that it must be weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

• Dressin up for mass.
    • Only going to the pub about 10 minutes before closing time after sitting watching the clock for 2 hours.
    • Pints of special.
    • Crisps come in precisely 2 flavours. In addition there's the excitement of wondering whether its King or Tayto.
    • The local GAA raffle fella catching your eye and shaming you into paying up.
    • The draw is up to 30,000 now and has not been won in a decade due to a population of 2000 and odds of 1,000,000
    • People lying about how well their sons/daughters are doing.
    • Not giving anything away about yourself in a conversation is considered "winning".
    • Obsession with land, frontage.
    • Having a fire on the go all year.
    • Burning absolutely everything rather than paying for bins.
    • The incredibly varied amount of magazines about tractors/tractor related items/Classic Tractors in garages.
    • Pride in the local area and any achievements by people from the local area.
    • Funerals... you must attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

jackal wrote: »
    • Not giving anything away about yourself in a conversation is considered "winning".

So true :D

• Advertisement

jackal wrote: »
    • The draw is up to 30,000 now and has not been won in a decade due to a population of 2000 and odds of 1,000,000.
    • Burning absolutely everything rather than paying for bins.
    • The incredibly varied amount of magazines about.
    • Funerals... you must attend.

LOL that first one made me laugh... and them countrymen are soo thick its beyond a joke especially my dad, hes driving my whole family nuts - His latest crave to save money is making us use the same dishes over again when we've got about 200 of them just so can save energy:rolleyes:, i'm gonna slap him one if he doesn't shut up!:mad: Oh and he attends every persons funeral in the country.

Advertisement