Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you expect to see in rural Ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Hang sandwiches...

and tae.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Dung encrusted Toyota Carinas from the early nineties with a cowboxes at the back.
    Elderly gentlemen of dubious personal hygiene who sit in the corner of the pub with the one pint all night.
    Young fellas travelling at high speed on large tractors drawing silage.
    Baler twine used to tie gates, hold up trousers, keep boot of car closed ...
    Wellingtons turned down at the top.
    Lots of 4x4s - again with cowboxes.
    Mad celebrations after the local GAA team wins with convoys of cars with horns/flags/kids hanging out the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Jealousy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

A brother and sister rolling in the hay.

Roadsigns to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

A bunch of guys with spades standing around looking at a pothole in the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Petrol pumps at the side of the road
    Yeah. Because everyone knows that they're more useful next to the railway tracks.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

WindSock wrote: »
    A brother and sister rolling in the hay.
    you mean this?

you beat me to it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Farms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Enda and the lads...

2029.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I should know this as i live there:

Loads of cars - My road is the main road which is in the countryside.
    The odd tractor.
    A couple of buses, every hour going tay ballycastle, ballymoney etc.
    Children playing in the fields.
    Cows.
    Sheep.
    Farmers.
    The odd disgusting smell!
    A couple of shops- Three on my road- haha!
    and thats about all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

People staring at "outsiders", chat falling on deaf ears cause your not from were there from their imediate area, lads from a small village with a chip on their shoulder you could float a boat in, oh and me heading down to rob things!!

:(
    grass down the middle of the road!

god.... its not like that sorry.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

steddyeddy wrote: »
    People staring at "outsiders", chat falling on deaf ears cause your not from were there from their imediate area, lads from a small village with a chip on their shoulder you could float a boat in, oh and me heading down to rob things!!

I hate using this fella but :rolleyes:

pmcmahon wrote: »
    if there was something to rob :P

A Yea, there is, the houses here in the countryside are far bigger than in the city sorry!! Not to mention thats were all the rich people live too. Sure my house is worth £700,000, and for a house that size in the city it would be about £2 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,010 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

steddyeddy wrote: »

How does that work, exactly?:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

FearDark wrote: »
    and tae.
    Sir, I will have you know, there is nothing wrong with tae. NOTHING!
    SeamusG97 wrote: »
    Dung encrusted Toyota Carinas from the early nineties with a cowboxes at the back.
    Yep loadsa toyotas. For good reason, they last longer than God and are cheaper than Hondas.
    Young fellas travelling at high speed on large tractors drawing silage.
    Even moreso, young lads driving hi performance jap metal, like scoobies and the like at high speed. Cars that would require a second mortgage in the big shmoke to drive. *jealously shakes fist at culshie petrolheads* :D
    Lots of 4x4s - again with cowboxes.
    Granted, but at least the culshie chap or chappess actually has a use for them, unlike their second generation bottle blond descendants in the cities who use them to drive Soooorsha and Fioooooon to school.
    Mad celebrations after the local GAA team wins with convoys of cars with horns/flags/kids hanging out the windows.
    Yea this tribal thang with the GAAAA. Also found among their Dublin descendants. Was once bringing this woman out for a date and picked her up from her folks house. They engaged me in convo to make sure I wasnt an axe murderer. I have a good line in patter to cover that aspect of me up. Anyhoo, while she had a proto Dort accent, her folks had nice country accents. They inquired was I going to the match. I replied what match? This threw them. They explained it was a GAA match. I replied, naw not my bag. They asked would my folks be watching it. I replied nope. They pressed further so I explained my family were all dubs going way back. Their response was a cold "oh, I see". I left before the accusations of west brit started flying about. I clawed some kudos back when I explained I knew feck all nor cared about soccer either.

Another one I expect to see is married women over 35 who share a hairstyle which seems to mean they chop off the length and leave it as a vague and I do mean vague bob. Usually with some dark red highlights. Dunno why I notice that. That must be my gay gene kicking in. Actually no, more like my bad taste detector gene.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

With an empty shopping centre and a half built housing estate across the road!
    Biggest Tesco I've seen so far.

Road signs warning you to drive on the left. :confused: :eek: Saw that somewhere in Offaly... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I hate using this fella but :rolleyes:

Well,to be fair, he's right on the 1st two things! I live in a very rural area,been there nearly 2 years, and people still nearly crash their cars to gawk at me every time i step outside the door! Wouldn't mind,but another Dub moved in near to me round the same time,but he's the local Guard,so he's sorted :D

ejmaztec wrote: »
    How does that work, exactly?:confused:

chip is a technical name for a area of water used for boat floating and other various activities and i base that on absoloutly nothing!

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Well,to be fair, he's right on the 1st two things! I live in a very rural area,been there nearly 2 years, and people still nearly crash their cars to gawk at me every time i step outside the door! Wouldn't mind,but another Dub moved in near to me round the same time,but he's the local Guard,so he's sorted :D

Had the same problem myself but in fairness for all you know the third one is true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Fair enough but people look at everyone, cos there's shag all else to llok at :D
    But its the chip on the shoulder thing i often here that pisses me off, no one really gives two shítes contrary to popular opinion!

Yea and arn't them auld ones such a disaster, they are always sticking their nose into everything and bitching behind peoples backs trying to see what "hes up tay now", they're like a crowd of girls, sure last week my dad was building something and this man came up our lane in a tractor and was staring to see what we were upto so bad that he banged into the hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

signs written with markers on cardboard

in fairness some of the sexiest girls i met were from rural areas a ass like they were out all day picking spuds is ok by me!

fjsanchez wrote: »
    signs written with markers on cardboard

eh? Sorry its not the midwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

God you,s all think the country is so backward im from the country and iv lived in cities like London, New York, Germany,Sweden. City life is good dont get me wrong. But the country cant be beaten to live in, and not living in shoe boxes
    can grow veg yes spuds do come from the ground.. have hens free range eggs..
    AND we,d buy and sell city folk anytime thats for sure....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Dr. No

potholes

Advertisement