Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart set on a husky...

Options
  • 18-06-2010 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hey folks,
    Looking for some advice please.
    As the thread name suggests, I have always wanted a husky since I was a kid.
    I'm in a position now to get a dog, which will, without a doubt, be well looked after and treated.
    Having researched the Husky, I have read on more than one occasion that you can NEVER let the dog off the leash unsupervised in an open space.
    To me, that kinda ruins the idea of having a dog for me, insofar as I could never relax (apparently) with the dog unless it was tied to me.
    I've contacted a number of obedience schools, but none have had experience of training them.
    Is there any similar looking dogs out there, but with a temperment and obedience that lends itself to relaxing and enjoying the dog more.
    I'd appreciate your imput.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Unfortunately it is true about not letting them off the lead, but that temperament is part of the reason that I love them:D

If you got a cross then you might be luckier. I rehomed litter mates, GSD/husky crosses. The male has excellent recall and his family take him out and let him off lead no bother, and he's great with cats:D The bitch however, has a true husky temperament.

I'm collecting 2 English setter/husky crosses tomorrow, 6 month old pups, I haven't seen them yet, but apparently they look just like huskies. The setter in them may make them more amenable to training, but then they can be very flighty as well;)

Northern Inuits are a non-recognised breed, but I know a lady with a few of them, and they are off lead regularly and come back. Some friends of mine have recently got a pup, he's gorgeous.

If you want a husky though, get one, you learn to live with the no off lead thing. Do you have any tennis courts or enclosed areas like that near you, that you could let the dog off in? Get the dog into scootering, or bikejoring, then they run and you both have great fun:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

ISDW wrote: »
    If you got a cross then you might be luckier. I rehomed litter mates, GSD/husky crosses. The male has excellent recall and his family take him out and let him off lead no bother, and he's great with cats

I think this would be a good cross, there is a guy who jogs with one in my park, she is a lovely looking animal. Looks like a GSD but with Husky markings and those lovely blue eyes. The guy doesn't have her on a leash, she just trots along side him, she doesn't bat an eye at my dogs as we walk by and I've never seen her stray far from her master :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

To be fair you can't really let any dog off a lease unsupervised, you have to watch at all times, plus by law you have to keep a dog under effective control.

One of my dogs is great off the lead & always come back on command, but she'd only get let off in very quiet areas in the evening or the forest park, but she's put back on the lead when we see another dog or kids, cos the other dog could decide to attack her or she could run over to the kids (she loves kids, no idea why I don't even have any) accidently scratch them or knock them over and then there would be war.

So don't let the whole idea of never letting the dog off the lead unsupervised put you off getting one. There is always extentable leads to allow that bit of freedom & relaxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭shay

Excellent stuff people, really appreciate the replies and advice.

I had imagined having a dog and playing catch et cetera and just envisioned not being able to do that with him/her, and then thought, well what's the point ya know? Living with one eye on the front door, making sure all routes of escape are closed off - surely that would leave you on the edge all of the time?

Also, I know it is not ideal to have a dog at home in a yard all day, but in this day and age most couples have to work and that is the reality. Would it be best not to get one on that basis? Or would it be better having two dogs, giving each other company?

I'm not the type of person who does things without researching fully, and am committed to training classes, proper exercise for the dog so I just would like an owner's perspective so the dog has a full and happy life.

shay wrote: »
    Excellent stuff people, really appreciate the replies and advice.

I had imagined having a dog and playing catch et cetera and just envisioned not being able to do that with him/her, and then thought, well what's the point ya know? Living with one eye on the front door, making sure all routes of escape are closed off - surely that would leave you on the edge all of the time?

Also, I know it is not ideal to have a dog at home in a yard all day, but the realities are that most couples have to work and that its a reality. Would it be best not to get one on that basis? Or would it be better having two dogs, giving each other company?

I'm not the type of person who does things without researching fully, and am committed to training classes, proper exercise for the dog so I just would like an owner's perspective so the dog has a full and happy life.

Fair play to you for looking into it all fully.

Not being facetious, but why would you like a husky? What is about them that you like?

Very few of huskies that I know like to play with the ball - and any that do, like to kill it before they'd bring it back:D

I always had cross breeds growing up, fantastic dogs all of them. Then I got my first PB siberian, then I got another one to keep her company. When they were old enough I bought a scooter and took them out on it - honestly its not too extreme to say that it changed my life. It is absolutely amazing fun, to see these dogs running like that, and doing what they were bred for. I love seeing huskies run, but, due to the running off thing, its something that you very seldom see, so to see them in action in harness is fantastic. Now I have far too many dogs to mention, run a rescue for sibes and mals, and belong to a club that does dry land mushing, backpacking in the summer etc. I'm going over to the UK in October for our first proper race. The weekends away with the club are great craic, and the relationship that I've built up with the dogs through working them is like nothing I've had with any of my pet dogs.

Anyway, back to you:D There are very few huskies that will make a bolt for an open door all the time, you just learn to close doors behind you, its really not such a big deal. And to feed them, and pay vets bills etc, obviously you have to work. If they are exercised properly, being left alone while you're at work will be no bother. Again though, thats why the scootering or bikejoring is so good, half an hour on a scooter wears them out so much more quickly than a good hour and a half walk.

• Advertisement

My reason for wanting a husky? I've always wanted a dog, and since I first seen a husky, well its like the thread says - so to be honest I would have to say primarily the look of the dog. I do also in a paradoxical way, like the idea of the stubborn streak/indpendence (I know I'm giving out about it too) :confused:

Fair point made in relation to the leash having to be on any dog I guess. And excellent idea re tennis courts - which I have close by.

I understand 3 miles a day is the recommended amount of exercise, so I wonder would be any difficulty in running with the dog alongside?

A crossbreed does sound like an option too - I understand you take your chances insofar as you may not get any deviation from the temperment.

ISDW - is there any chance of some pics of the setter crosses?

Thanks again folks, keep it coming :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

My reason for wanting a husky? I've always wanted a dog, and since I first seen a husky, well its like the thread says - so to be honest I would have to say primarily the look of the dog. I do also in a paradoxical way, like the idea of the stubborn streak/indpendence (I know I'm giving out about it too) :confused:

Fair point made in relation to the leash having to be on any dog I guess. And excellent idea re tennis courts - which I have close by.

I understand 3 miles a day is the recommended amount of exercise, so I wonder would be any difficulty in running with the dog alongside?

A crossbreed does sound like an option too - I understand you take your chances insofar as you may not get any deviation from the temperment.

ISDW - is there any chance of some pics of the setter crosses?

Thanks again folks, keep it coming :)

Shay - If you like "wolfy" looking dogs, have you ever thought about a GSD?

Hi Sittingpretty,
    I have, but (to me) there's nothing as striking as a husky... I know it sounds superficial... I may go for, as someone suggested above, a crossbreed?

Shay - If you like "wolfy" looking dogs, have you ever thought about a GSD?

But legally there are more restrictions on a GSD than a husky, you can't let a GSD off lead anyway in a public place, and it has to be muzzled in public.

Shay, are you going to pet expo? We'll be there over the weekend, and are holding a canicross race on the Friday evening, which is running with your dog attached to you. Come along, meet a good few huskies, see how much fun it can be working them. Maybe a malamute may be more to your liking. There is a school of thought that they also shouldn't be let off lead, but I know mals that are very good off lead, there are two looking for a new home near Belfast, raised with kids, very friendly:D

Hey ISDW,
    that's a great idea - I will only be able to make Sunday tho - will that be any use?!? :confused:

I had thought of attending local obedience classes/agililty training, but there were no huskys in the class :(

• Advertisement

Hey ISDW,
    that's a great idea - I will only be able to make Sunday tho - will that be any use?!? :confused:

I had thought of attending local obedience classes/agililty training, but there were no huskys in the class :(

Yeah, we'll be doing the demos on Sunday, and one of them will involve canicross. Even if you just meet some of the dogs, and realise that they are just the best dog in the world it will be a good day out:D

Excellent stuff - will defo be there on the sunday.

Even if I don't actually get one, I'll be delighted to spend a bit of up-close time with them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Are you talking about the pet expo at RDS in july?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

But legally there are more restrictions on a GSD than a husky, you can't let a GSD off lead anyway in a public place, and it has to be muzzled in public.

Yeah sure I know this only too well having a 3 yr old GSD baby :D I suppose I feel the way about GSD's as Shay does about Huskies! :D

Are you talking about the pet expo at RDS in july?

Yep, just hope its not too hot for the dogs.
    Yeah sure I know this only too well having a 3 yr old GSD baby :D I suppose I feel the way about GSD's as Shay does about Huskies! :D

Totally understandable:D Stupid law, but what can you do?

Just seen this on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXo3NFqkaRM&feature=related

I want one even more now... haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

How about a Norwegian Elkhound?

Or perhaps a sable, short-coated GSD? But then you've got the stupid restricted breeds legislation. :(

Any of the breeds I can think of that vaguely resemble a Husky are all members of the spitz breeds and they all have that same independent spirit, aloofness and unreliable recall :D But you know, we shouldn't stereotype, either. if you get a puppy and you train it kindly and relentlessly, you could have a Husky who comes back on command. There's a girl I know with a husky under a year old. She's done an awful lot of work with her and she has good recall. But it hasn't been tested in a situation where there is a very tempting distraction! If there is somewhere local to you with a big enclosed space - a local GAA pitch for example - then you could still have that Husky. Or maybe getting involved with dog sports like cani-x or dry-land sledding would make up for not having the freedom to go off-lead on walks.

Thats cool that you want one, they do shed 2 a year and can be a bit hyper, I know I would chose the Malamute over the Huskey as they seem to have a slower overall energy but are very big dogs and so do eat alot and cost alot when taken to see the vet. I like the look of Norwegian Elkhounds but my worry would be that they look like GSD and an Ignorant wardden may cause trouble saying the dog should be muzzeled.

When you get your dog you should post some pictures;)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I wouldn't worry about the warden mistaking an elkhound for a GSD, they look completely different and are much shorter. They're similar enough to an akita but again, they're much smaller so wouldnt be easily confused

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

I have a mal and hes great offlead when enclosed, but doubt very much that I'd be trying him offlead unenclosed. My brothers female husky had great recall(notice had), but his male had none. Both are kept onleads all the time now, his female escaped from the garden once and wouldnt come back for ages, she decided it was a great game!!!

• Advertisement

Well I asked some people that know very little about dogs to look at this pic and they all said it was a GSD which its not, just saying.

norwegian-elkhound-0019.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Well I asked some people that know very little about dogs to look at this pic and they all said it was a GSD which its not, just saying.

I'm not being smart but a warden, in his job description, must have at least a basic knowledge of the breeds and you yourself said the people you asked don't :)

I think it's pretty clear that the norwegian elkhound bears absolutely no resemblence to the GSD...see...

shep.jpg
    GSD

elkhound.jpg
    Elkhound, which looks a lot more like....

Akita.jpg
    The Akita :D

Hi folks,
    I've been deliberating on getting a husky for some time now... and by chance an opportunity has come my way as a 12 week old needs a home asap.
    The only problem is, myself and partner will be out of the house all day - we both work office hours.
    I'm committed to exercising him before and after work, but in the formative period of his life i'm worried about him being on his own. Our back yard is large enough (about 3 times the average size) so I don't think space is a problem.
    Can you please let me know if you think I would do more harm than good taking him at this age.
    Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi folks,
    I've been deliberating on getting a husky for some time now... and by chance an opportunity has come my way as a 12 week old needs a home asap.
    The only problem is, myself and partner will be out of the house all day - we both work office hours.
    I'm committed to exercising him before and after work, but in the formative period of his life i'm worried about him being on his own. Our back yard is large enough (about 3 times the average size) so I don't think space is a problem.
    Can you please let me know if you think I would do more harm than good taking him at this age.
    Thanks in advance.

If you take 2 weeks holiday from work and your partner takes the following 2 weeks that would give you a month over which to get the pup used to being alone for longer periods of time starting with a few minutes and working up to however long you're at work. In the long term maybe you could let the dog sleep in your room or outside your door as it wouldn't be alone all night as well as during the day. Where there's a will there's a way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Hi folks,
    Thanks in advance.
    you can all ways put him in day care (needs to have his kennel cough vac's for at leas 1 week)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭jellybear

Have a two and a half year old husky and just wanted to let you know that they can be very destructive when left alone. They get bored very easily, so much so that ours chewed literally EVERYTHING within reach in the kitchen and photo frames etc that were on three foot high shelves. Dad works from home so there is someone there all day with them but she managed to do a lot of destruction when he went shopping (max hed be away was 40mins!!). This went on for almost two years, maybe its just her but I thought Id let you know. They like to be active 24/7 and she tends to 'talk', its called ululating, and jump on us until someone lets her out or plays with her.
    They are a lovely breed but I personally think they are not the type of breed for you if you work long hours during the day especially.
    Oh and we let her off the lead with no problem at all, she has a wonderful nature, very obedient, but as I said it took time and a lot of hard work and training.:)

jellybear wrote: »
    Have a two and a half year old husky and just wanted to let you know that they can be very destructive when left alone. They get bored very easily, so much so that ours chewed literally EVERYTHING within reach in the kitchen and photo frames etc that were on three foot high shelves. Dad works from home so there is someone there all day with them but she managed to do a lot of destruction when he went shopping (max hed be away was 40mins!!). This went on for almost two years, maybe its just her but I thought Id let you know. They like to be active 24/7 and she tends to 'talk', its called ululating, and jump on us until someone lets her out or plays with her.
    They are a lovely breed but I personally think they are not the type of breed for you if you work long hours during the day especially.
    Oh and we let her off the lead with no problem at all, she has a wonderful nature, very obedient, but as I said it took time and a lot of hard work and training.:)

Thats great, and I hope that she continues to come back, but please don't think that husky owners that won't let their dogs off lead don't put the work and training in, they do, but they also understand the hardwiring in the breed. I am lucky insofar as I have a very large field that I have had fenced to husky height and all of my dogs will come back when called in the field, even if they are at the far end of it, however, I would never trust them in an unenclosed area, the trait of the breed to run is just too ingrained in them. 99% of the time they will come back, then one day the scent will be there, and they will be gone. Such a shame, as I love watching them run, but its just one of the things you do have to bear in mind if you want a sibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bookworm1

Hi

This is our Husky/Akita mix, he is a great dog. Not very good with recall and not too fond of been left alone during the day. We take him to a doggie day care a couple of days a week which he loves, so that tires him out. Loves his walks and could walk for hours. We walk him 3 times a day for about 1.5 hours in total and more on the weekends.....

94932.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bookworm1

Oops just noticed I misspelled 'husky', here is another photo

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=79a611cb-98be-4c92-af48-f47a1e0b28df&Aux=44|0|8CC639D5FF60010||

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭jellybear

Thats great, and I hope that she continues to come back, but please don't think that husky owners that won't let their dogs off lead don't put the work and training in, they do, but they also understand the hardwiring in the breed.

I have no idea where you got the notion that I think that confused.gif I was merely showing that not all huskys are the same, and also that she grew out of her chewing habit through training and hard work, not just recall like you may have thought.

Advertisement