Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Bird Is This

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

mymo wrote: »
    Thanks, it looked big but I'm used to sparrows, probably what I saw then:), was about 50yards away and the sun behind it, but It did hover, then landed on a stump, definite it was pale pinky like the pic.
    Delighted, first one I've seen, not big on birds just know the common garden ones.
    Some gorgeous pic's by the way, lovely to see all the birds of prey, never knew there were so many in Ireland.
    A super garden tick if it's a kestrel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm in a small town in the countryside near a river and woods, behind my house is a steep bank down to the river, plenty of rats and mice around(well my cat finds plenty) assume thats what they eat.
    Also (hope its ok to ask in this thread) I was in London last week and saw a strange bird, about the size and shape of a magpie but pale peachy brown colour, with blue and white on the wing. Any idea what it was?
    Must get a bird book, daughter is driving me mad asking what all the birds are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

I'm in a small town in the countryside near a river and woods, behind my house is a steep bank down to the river, plenty of rats and mice around(well my cat finds plenty) assume thats what they eat.
    Also (hope its ok to ask in this thread) I was in London last week and saw a strange bird, about the size and shape of a magpie but pale peachy brown colour, with blue and white on the wing. Any idea what it was?
    Jay I'd say. If you're going to get a book get Collins Bird Guide (britain and europe). Best there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Yep thats the one, just googled it. Strange the RSPB says they live in woodlands, this one was in a back yard in Camden town.
    Will keep eye out for that book, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

There are quite a lot of Jays in London, I see them quite often in parks .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Seen a BoP of some description early this morning. The area was around the M50/N2 split. It was on the ground on a footpath, and was mostly brown with speckled chest. It was large enough that I spotted it 40/50 yards away as I was driving towards it. Anyone know what might be in the area?

Have got to start bringing a camera with me when I drive.

EDIT: Sorry meant to say, from looking at different photos, Hen-Harrier or Red Kite are what it looked similar to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In that location, I'd go for a Buzzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Actually I noticed this morning about 150 yards from where I saw it, there is a building called "Hawk House".

Should have said as well there were no real trees in the area, just small newly planted ones, and long uncut grass beside the cut grass directly alongside the footpath.

Advertisement