Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulysses - work of genius or emperor's new clothes?

Options
  • 16-06-2010 11:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

With people celebrating Ulysses today, I'm just curious as to what this board thinks of the book?

Do you think it's something worth reading? Personally I doubt it would be worth it, I think it would be an enormous waste of time. I'm all for classics... give me Frankenstein, Dracula, Robinson Crusoe, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Around the World in Eighty Days, The Telltale Heart etc. any day before some vague and boring about one man's single day. Or going back further, give me the Bible and those enjoyable ancient Greek novels like An Ethiopian Story before James Joyce crap.

I think it's a case of emperor's new clothes, another way for certain snooty literature people to prove how they're a class above the average reader. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I think you should read it first and then comment or at least try...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I think you should read it first and then comment or at least try...

David Norris was on radio today saying that its only on the second reading of the book where its genius comes through.

I dont think i could put in the time to read it in the first place.

Whats it actually about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

David Norris was on radio today saying that its only on the second reading of the book where its genius comes through.

I dont think i could put in the time to read it in the first place.

Whats it actually about?

loads of stuff, jealousy, love, infedility, death, republicanism, insecurity, I am missing lots of stuff. I really liked some parts, did not have a fuppin clue what other ones are about. I would agree its hard work in some places however I dont think you can critisize something untill you have read it, and I dont think its emperor's new clothes it changed the whole style of the way fiction was writen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

With people celebrating Ulysses today, I'm just curious as to what this board thinks of the book?

Do you think it's something worth reading? Personally I doubt it would be worth it, I think it would be an enormous waste of time. I'm all for classics... give me Frankenstein, Dracula, Robinson Crusoe, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Around the World in Eighty Days, The Telltale Heart etc. any day before some vague and boring about one man's single day. Or going back further, give me the Bible and those enjoyable ancient Greek novels like An Ethiopian Story before James Joyce crap.

I think it's a case of emperor's new clothes, another way for certain snooty literature people to prove how they're a class above the average reader. What do you think?

It depends...If people start out reading it because it is the 'best book in the last 750 million years' or 'a book you should read before you are 43'...then you are not going to enjoy it. You might enjoy it alot if you egnore the hype etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Polynomial

It's a truly great book, but it takes an effort. I'd recommend reading a guide book to help you get into it. There are a few good ones out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

The problem with a book like Ulysses is that it's not directed at lay-readers but rather at academically minded people. There seems to be a perception amongst the general reading public that just because they can physically read the words on the page they can understand - or have some right to understand - what is actually going on. When it comes to books like Ulysses, or to the kind of books that win Nobel and other such awards, there's much more to it than just reading the plot.

So there is much more to being a reader than simply reading the words. One is expected to look out for allusions, symbols and metaphors and to analyze characters etc etc. People often get their back up when they can't "understand" a book and go on a rant against the author and against what they see as academic pretensions. If a lay-reader, like myself, doesn't "get" a book, it doesn't necessarily mean the book is bad. It just means that the book isn't that accessible.

And finally, some people will argue that such books are innately useless and that accessibility should be the primary concern. However, if an author is concerned with being accessible he will invariably have to simplify the work and thus take a lot of the literary power out of it.

I myself haven't read Ulysses myself, but in any case, happy belated Bloomsday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

I think that's exactly what you're doing in this post; you're trying to make yourself look smart by deriding those who enjoy high brow literature. It's failing by the way; you come off as an anti-intellectual would-be snob.

Read the damned book before you make pronouncements that make you look stupid!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I hope to read it someday. And I'm quite sick of this constant accusation of snobbery or elitism thats associated with it. From what I've read, and what I've heard from people, it truly is a masterpiece that gets to the very bottom of the human experience, and whats more, does it in Dublin City! How can an Irishman possibly not read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Tried reading once before and I got about as far as Oxen of the Sun. I gave up as it started to get harder to understand what was going on and I think I had other books waiting to be read which were too tempting. What I did read I found very good and I even laughed out loud a few times. I'll definitely go back to it again but armed with a guide book this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I haven't read it, so I can't say whether or not it's a case of "emperor's new clothes", but considering how highly it's regarded around the world, I'm sure it must have some literary merit! I would like to read it at some point, but it sounds like hard work, and off the top of my head I can think of lots of other very lengthy novels that appeal to me more than Ulysses.

I'll hopefully get around to reading it some time... Not for quite a while though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

but it takes an effort. I'd recommend reading a guide book to help you get into it.
    Any book which requires multiple readings and a guide book to read it is not great IMHO

Any book which requires multiple readings and a guide book to read it is not great IMHO

Not really, it shows that there is amazing depth. For example, one of the characters is called 'the citizen', who is modelled after the founder of the GAA. Without knowing the broader context of the novel there would be no way of knowing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Denerick wrote: »
    Not really, it shows that there is amazing depth. For example, one of the characters is called 'the citizen', who is modelled after the founder of the GAA. Without knowing the broader context of the novel there would be no way of knowing that.

I think if i had to read it multiple times and follow a guide simply to understand that a character is based on the founder of the GAA then id be pretty annoyed. I see your point about hidden depths but whats the point in scaling the depths if all you find is the flat uninteresting bottom...

I have tried on 2 occasions to read it and gave up after a few chapters, it may be considered a great book but I did not find it so. I'm sure if i got a guide and invested some time in destructing the text then it would show as a work of greatness but that is not a process I want to go though in order to read a book.

Also as someone else pointed out, if the book is only accessible to the relatively small group of people who are prepared to invest that amount of effort then surely that is failure in some respect.

As Bukowski said "An intellectual is a man who says a simple thing in a difficult way; an artist is a man who says a difficult thing in a simple way. "

Bottom line: If you honestly enjoyed it then I'm happy for you. If you pretended to have read and enjoyed it (im guessing this is the biggest group) then you should be ashamed for not being honest. Finally if like me you tried reading it and found it wasn't for you, move on :)

Kai wrote: »
    I think if i had to read it multiple times and follow a guide simply to understand that a character is based on the founder of the GAA then id be pretty annoyed. I see your point about hidden depths but whats the point in scaling the depths if all you find is the flat uninteresting bottom...

I have tried on 2 occasions to read it and gave up after a few chapters, it may be considered a great book but I did not find it so. I'm sure if i got a guide and invested some time in destructing the text then it would show as a work of greatness but that is not a process I want to go though in order to read a book.

Also as someone else pointed out, if the book is only accessible to the relatively small group of people who are prepared to invest that amount of effort then surely that is failure in some respect.

Look, it was written in the early 20th century. Obviously, trying to understand the cultural context or the political climate will necessitate a broad knowledge of the period. He is meant to have written about lots of things, including the Casement report and O'Connell, Castle Catholics and Republicanism... How can you really understand the book if you're not prepared to understand these events and concepts and people! It is as much about capturing a certain time and place, I'm sorry if that offends the 21st century reader who has no interest in the past?...
    As Bukowski said "An intellectual is a man who says a simple thing in a difficult way; an artist is a man who says a difficult thing in a simple way. "

Bottom line: If you honestly enjoyed it then I'm happy for you. If you pretended to have read and enjoyed it (im guessing this is the biggest group) then you should be ashamed for not being honest. Finally if like me you tried reading it and found it wasn't for you, move on :)

I haven't read it, but have read other works that allude to it. Lots of people I respect consider it one of the most important works of all time, so I'm bound to consider it in a good light. But I find your kind of inverted snobbery just as repulsive as the out and out kind.

It's the same with Dante Aligheri's Divine Comedy as far as I know. On the soundtrack to the film Hannibal, Anthony Hopkins talks about the appearance in one canto of a particular historical figure (Pietro delle Vigne) and how he is compared to Judas Iscariot for his betrayal of the Holy Roman Emperor's trust. Dante's poem is supposedly filled with examples of historical and political figures, giving the commentary an intense depth.
    But I find your kind of inverted snobbery just as repulsive as the out and out kind.

The "out and out" kind isn't even that snobby. I make no excuses about not liking Dan Brown. It's not that I turn my nose up at him and get snooty, he just doesn't even occur in my mind. On the other hand, those rebelling against supposed "intellectual snobbery" certainly are looking down their noses, in my opinion.

The "out and out" kind isn't even that snobby. I make no excuses about not liking Dan Brown. It's not that I turn my nose up at him and get snooty, he just doesn't even occur in my mind. On the other hand, those rebelling against supposed "intellectual snobbery" certainly are looking down their noses, in my opinion.

You're preaching to the converted. I am a snob. But I really hate this attitude that somehow you're some kind of dickhead if you like 'highbrow' literature (Though highbrow is itself an arbitrary term...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Does he soar through all the galaxies?
    Anyway, must check it out at some stage to see what all the fuss is about. probably best to finish Dubliners first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 windycity

As a teacher it is a very difficult book to teach because it draws on a vast amount of prior knowledge, and in many ways, I think it could be argued that Ulysses is dependent on that and that that issue has contributed to its success and critical acclaim. At the very least, it is controversial on many levels and it demands something of the reader-which I don't think is a bad thing-especially in this day and age.

Most of my readers who encounter this book for the first time don't like it, because they don't "get it," feel it is somewhat elitist, too much work to sift through, and end up being discouraged. I like the book as a teaching tool, but not really as a story. Joyce definitely had some better tales that were much more simple, yet, effective in conveying a message. Plus, Joyce was not nice to Yeats, and I have always had a soft spot in my heart for that old guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

windycity wrote: »
    Plus, Joyce was not nice to Yeats, and I have always had a soft spot in my heart for that old guy.

Joyce wasn't too on Yeats and admired him more than any other writer of the time. I like Yeats but his balloon needed some deflating (all that gyre business is just silly).
    Joyce was much harder on Gogarty, which is why I find it funny that the Oliver St. John Gogarty pub trumpets its Ulysses connection, given that the man hated the book and its (probably unfair) portrayal of him.

By the way, the book doesn't really need a primer; get the annotated oxford addition instead, which gives copious notes where they're needed (in the library chapter, I believe there's about 3 pages of notes per page of text). It should also be stated that references and the tone of the book can be understood far more easily by the Irish than anyone else, so consider yourselves in a privileged position, with most of the requisite research already done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 windycity

Now you've sparked my interest in Gogarty, and of course, I will now have to investigate. Thanks a lot- I could have been watching t.v. tonite. The gyre is a bit strange, I have to agree.

• Advertisement

You're preaching to the converted. I am a snob. But I really hate this attitude that somehow you're some kind of dickhead if you like 'highbrow' literature (Though highbrow is itself an arbitrary term...)

I know you're a snob (:p) but my point is that in general "intellectual snobs" aren't actually half as snobby as "anti-intellectual snobs". When I'm in a shop and I see Maeve Binchy I just gloss over it. When some people who read plot-based books see James Joyce they don't just gloss, they go out of their way to sneer. This, in my opinion, is being more snobby than the "high-brow" folk. Which is ironic, I think, because they're always the ones making the fuss about snobbery.

That's in my limited experience. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 melody1

Started reading Ulysses two weeks ago and am half way through with the help of excellent guide 'Ulysses and Us' by Declan Kiberd. I am reading Ulysses because I skipped iit in college many years ago and now want to give it a chance. Can see why I avoided it back then and am not yet sold on the value of reading it now. However I do think Joyce was an a genius and a magician with language. Perhaps you need to be a bit of a genius to read it with ease! As for me - I'm struggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

How can you really understand the book if you're not prepared to understand these events and concepts and people! It is as much about capturing a certain time and place, I'm sorry if that offends the 21st century reader who has no interest in the past?...

I haven't read it, but have read other works that allude to it. Lots of people I respect consider it one of the most important works of all time, so I'm bound to consider it in a good light. But I find your kind of inverted snobbery just as repulsive as the out and out kind.

Sorry but the snobbery comment is over the top. I at least attempted to read it and gave my personal opinion that it wasn't for me. Just for the record i have read many classics and enjoyed them. I can hardly be called an inverted intellectual snob or whatever your trying to imply simply because i didn't like Ulysses.
    Lots of people I respect consider it one of the most important works of all time, so I'm bound to consider it in a good light. But I find your kind of inverted snobbery just as repulsive as the out and out kind.

Perhaps you should read it yourself and make up your own mind rather than accepting the inherited wisdom of others. I think you've shown yourself to be a repulsive snob with comments like that.

Kai wrote: »
    Sorry but the snobbery comment is over the top. I at least attempted to read it and gave my personal opinion that it wasn't for me. Just for the record i have read many classics and enjoyed them. I can hardly be called an inverted intellectual snob or whatever your trying to imply simply because i didn't like Ulysses.

No, you're not 'just saying' that at all, and you must think us idiots if you expect us to believe that. You're saying that a) most people who claim to read it haven't, and b) most people think that its crap but claim its good.
    Perhaps you should read it yourself and make up your own mind rather than accepting the inherited wisdom of others. I think you've shown yourself to be a repulsive snob with comments like that.

I intend to. Maybe it is crap. But I won't prejudge it like so many others just because its 'uppity, like'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Yeah, I'd go along with that, Ulysses is a mix of everything - classical myths, poetry alongside toilet humour. I have to say I absolutely love the book, and have re-read it a number of times over the years and there are very few books I can say that about. Although I loved it the first time, it does improve when you have background knowledge about the local characters, Dublin itself, the mythology being used, etc, so I can see where the use of a guide would help. But is it all it's cracked up to be? Definitely -100%
    If you can't get into it, then as was also said, it just isn't your type of book, but that doesn't make it a bad book or you a bad reader.

However - Finnegan's wake - now that's a tough read! Like a 400page cryptic crossword.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Mod note:

Personalising the discussion tends to be non-productive as well as ill-advised, please avoid it. It deflects from the point of the thread, which after all is the worth of James Joyce's seminal work "The Continuing and Most Fantastic Adventures of Leopold Bloom the ogler and his friend Steve, who likes to pee behind rocks"... More light, less heat please.

Keeping that in mind as you post would be good.

/mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Contrary to what a few posters here are saying, I'd advise people reading Ulysses for the first time to do so without a guide or notes (though it's definitely worth reading A Portrait first - which is a great novel itself.)
    sron wrote: »
    in the library chapter, I believe there's about 3 pages of notes per page of text

That's why.

• Advertisement

Advertisement