Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just saw a RSA ad on how to use motorway lanes

Options
  • 15-06-2010 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

About bloody time. Lets see now if it makes an iota of difference.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

About bloody time. Lets see now if it makes an iota of difference.

You must not watch much tv! :D

Its been going ages

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

draffodx wrote: »

Its been going ages

Judging by the standards of motorway driving he is not the only one who hasn't noticed the ad on television!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

this is the first i've heard of it (then again I dont watch much irish tv).

Judging by the amount of lanehoggers v undertakers threads on here recently its not before time!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I only saw it last night, probably because I SKY Plus everything to skip the adverts.

Anyway I thought he cut back into the lane too soon to the other car.

Considering I have only seen it once, Did they actually advise people to STAY LEFT?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Its not on often enough, like everything the RSA's budget was cut and this is the direct result...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

cronin_j wrote: »
    Its not on often enough, like everything the RSA's budget was cut and this is the direct result...

Pity they didn't use the cash they spent on the "he drives, she dies.." campaign. A few more radio ads during rush hour reminding people to keep left might help the goldilocks syndrome with every second numpty driver wanting to sit in the middle lane because it's not too fast nor not too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

The roundabout ads haven't made a blind bit of difference as far as i can see so I'm not too confident about this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Give each garda unit a target of pulling one car each shift for mobile phone usage or sitting in the incorrect lane and word of mouth will spread. People will not change their habits unless there is an 'incentive' to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Give each garda unit a target of pulling one car each shift for mobile phone usage or sitting in the incorrect lane and word of mouth will spread. People will not change their habits unless there is an 'incentive' to do so.

People will only resent the Gardai instead of learning anything.

I spoke to a guy Saturday moaning about Traffic Corps doing him for not having lights on his trailer(cattle on back of Jeep). I tried to tell him its dangerous and he responded "Have they nothing better to do?" He refused to accept their JOB is to police the ROADS ONLY. He could not see how not having lights on his trailer could be an issue. :mad:

So he learned nothing and now resents the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

Berty wrote: »

Do you want some friends in blue or do you think they should be allowed to do their job. This crap that stamping down on bad road behaviour will somehow make the gardai loose the general publics love has to stop. Do the job equally to everyone including gardai, judges, pikeys, scumbags, joe soap and they will earn everyones eternal respect for upholding the law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

draffodx wrote: »

Its been going ages
    Hardly ever tbh!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I personally think the RSA should have Mr. T in their ads, roaring at everybody going straight through a roundabout in the right lane. Also, any car that is hogging the right lane of a motorway should be picked up by a giant Mr. T. and eaten in a vicious and threatening manner, like he bites the Snickers bar at the end of the ad. It would be so much more effective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

yer man in the Passat is the angriest looking dude I've ever seen, Mr T wouldn't stand a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I can see it now!
    Rsa Ad wrote:
    I pity the fool that doesnt cut back to the inside lane after overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

The sad part is that there should be no need to spend money on advertising — anyone who holds a driving license should know the rules of the road in the first place! Roundabouts, Motorways and two lane dual carriageways have not just appeared in recent weeks — they have been with us for years :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

I spoke to a guy Saturday moaning about Traffic Corps doing him for not having lights on his trailer(cattle on back of Jeep). I tried to tell him its dangerous and he responded "Have they nothing better to do?" He refused to accept their JOB is to police the ROADS ONLY. He could not see how not having lights on his trailer could be an issue. :mad:

Most trailers that I see don't even have lights attached, and the ones that do don't seem to work/aren't connected to the car.

I'm originally from South Africa (vuvuzela insults aside please:D), and a large proportion, compared to here, of average Joe Soaps would own trailers for leisure purposes, boats, caravans etc. Lights always connected and working, and if they're not you are guaranteed at least €100 fine if spotted by the cops, and if they feel like it they can seize your car and trailer.

Back to topic, on the M50 today travelling from the N4 junction south to Ballymount, and the whole way I came across only 2 cars ahead of me in the left lane, with every other car in the middle lane going the same speed as I was. The roundabout ad didn't make a shread of a difference, neither will this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

bongi69 wrote: »
    Back to topic, on the M50 today travelling from the N4 junction south to Ballymount, and the whole way I came across only 2 cars ahead of me in the left lane, with every other car in the middle lane going the same speed as I was. The roundabout ad didn't make a shread of a difference, neither will this one.

How many then had to dive across in front of you to exit at Junction 9? This is a practice I find most dangerous and will unfortunately lead to a fatality on the M50 some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

Its a shame but I think the only way proper lane discipline will be drilled into people here is if they do regular blitz's*like they do for drink driving, people will soon get the message. Its a bit like when penalty points were introduced, we had a about two days of eerily cautiously driving everywhere until it was quickly realised there wasn't a guard hiding behind every bush waiting to enforce the rules of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Anyway I thought he cut back into the lane too soon to the other car.

Thought that myself. I was always taught to not pull back in untill you can see all of the vehicle you overtook in your rear view mirror

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Can anyone link online to this ad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Well that's what he may say down in the pub. You'd be surprised that people huff and puff about this but at the same time modify their behaviour. Plus you'll have somebody else who'll fix their lights to avoid being pulled over and find that they have no tax or insurance.

It's part o the Irish psyche to resent authority and getting caught. That doesn;t mean that we don't comply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Just saw this ad again. The problem is I think you have to be more aggressive and spell some things out to people
    • There is no such thing as a fast or slow lane
    • keep left unless over taking
    • keep left unless over taking still applies if you're on a 3lane road
    • no you can't just drive in whichever lane you like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

atlantean wrote: »
    The sad part is that there should be no need to spend money on advertising — anyone who holds a driving license should know the rules of the road in the first place! Roundabouts, Motorways and two lane dual carriageways have not just appeared in recent weeks — they have been with us for years :mad:

What about all the full licence drivers on our roads who never sat a test? Had their licences posted out to them back in 70's/80's when they needed to clear the backlog of applications? They haven't a clue about lanes & indicating on roundabouts & motorways. Id love to see the RSA go through a big list of full licence drivers & anyone who had it had it posted out without a test should now be asked to sit one. Which would cause no end of huffing & puffing but surely it make sure everyone was up tp a certain minimum standard of driving? As opposed to just waiting a generation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

sentient_6 wrote: »
    What about all the full licence drivers on our roads who never sat a test? Had their licences posted out to them back in 70's/80's when they needed to clear the backlog of applications?

Most of the licenses handed out went to folk who are now into their late 60's/70's so that one doesn't wash anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

furtzy wrote: »
    Thought that myself. I was always taught to not pull back in untill you can see all of the vehicle you overtook in your rear view mirror

it doesnt matter that much to be honest as an overtaking car is pulling away from the car overtaken....just so long as you dont pull in so sharply as to scare the other driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

furtzy wrote: »

I was always told the left hand wing mirror as they generally come into view after about 4 cars lengths and as said you wouldn't want to pull in and scare them suddenly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

not really true, my brother got one and he is 48 yrs. the gave some out in the early eighties or there about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You'd swear everyone here only ever uses the left lane...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Onkle wrote: »
    Most of the licenses handed out went to folk who are now into their late 60's/70's so that one doesn't wash anymore
    hondasam wrote: »
    not really true, my brother got one and he is 48 yrs. the gave some out in the early eighties or there about.
    The Glorious Day was 11th October, 1979, and the recipients of these licences are referred to as 'Sylvester Barrett's Babies", in honour of the Great Man who made it all possible.
    Anyone on a second or higher provisional on that day was automatically upgraded to a full licence; I was on my first at the time, but I know a few people who 'qualified' for the full one.
    They still get a hard time from their peers for their 'Yellow Pack' licences. biggrin.gif

Here's the relevant legislation, if anyone's interested:
    5. Article 29 of the Principal Regulations (as substituted by the Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) (Amendment) Regulations, 1969 ( S.I. No. 140 of 1969 )) is hereby amended by the substitution for sub-article (1) of the following sub-article:

"(1) ( a ) An application by a person for a driving licence shall be accompanied by a certificate of competency... <snip>, unless

(i) <snip>

(ii) the application relates to vehicles of Class A, Class C or Class G, and the applicant holds a valid provisional licence in respect of vehicles of such class or classes on the day on which these Regulations come into operation and has, prior to such day, held at least one other such licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

hondasam wrote: »

Quite right - I got one (age 51) and have suffered the jibes!
    I'd have no problem with sitting the test if I honestly thought it would do anything other than make money for the DOE. :confused:

Biggest bug with me is people not using the acceleration/decr'tion lanes - swinging out onto a major N road at 30kph is suicidal.

Advertisement