Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quest for the Holy Retro Grail!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's never too late to go back and start rediscovering things you missed. I wouldn't just consider it about nostalgia. Good games are good games! :)

Although your bank balance is probably screaming 'JESUS CHRIST NO! DON'T LISTEN TO THE MAD ****ER!!!'..it's probably right.

Definitely pick up a copy of Super Metroid. Fantastic game. Stay away from sealed copies though, that's one game that's meant to be open played!

And feckin hell, the price of the VGA sealed one. They'll never get that much for it. Maybe in another 20 years or so when these games are proper old.
    Yeah, even if I had the money, I wouldn't spend more than than €100 on a single console game - still a beauty though. And it's a great game: shamelessly downloaded it on the Virtual Console a year ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ok never put up my stories.

First big ebay buy for me was Suikoden. I had a copy of Suikoden 2 that my friend formerly of konami sent me but I didn't want to play it until I had played the first game in the series. Unfortunately the game couldn't be found at all in Ireland. After about 2 years of looking I went onto ebay got in a bidding war and it ended up costing me 50 sterling when it usually went for 30 at the time. Still it was an excellent game and playing the first game made the second game even more worth it.

I really wanted to play Xenogears since the old games moderator was always going on about how amazing it was and how the story was brilliant and at the time I was a major Squaresoft fanboy. It was going for 80 dollars at the time. I got it from buyrite games for that price but they turned out to be awful.I got the game but it was so heavily scratched that it crashed on the title screen. Sent countless emails to them and they were all ignored and 6 weeks later they went bankrupt. Was flushed with cash so decided to get it from NCSX next. Paid 50 sterling (about 80 dollars at the time).This one at least worked. Then 2 weeks later squaresoft decided that since there was so much demand for the game they were rereleasing it the month after for 20 dollars. Turns out the game wasn't all that either. The story was a convoluted mess trying to ride of the wave of neon genesis evangelion and the gameplay was't much and the whole second disc was two of the main characters sitting in a chair talking about the rest of the story because the dev team got pulled off the project to finish FF7.

Always wanted a saturn so I could play Radiant Slivergun but after falling in love with Panzer Dragoon Orta I knew I needed a saturn for Panzer Dragoon Saga as well. I paid a little over the odds for a japanese V-saturn that was prechipped but it was so worth it! Still haven't gotten my hands on a copy of Radiant Silvergun but it will be mine I tell you all!

If anybody is wondering what games to buy for a console then check out the guides on Racketboy:

http://www.racketboy.com/

He has guides nearly all the retro consoles on the rare and expensive games for the system, the defining games on the system, the hidden gems and the games that can be picked up cheaply. Really good resource.

Advertisement