Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we have World Cup discussion in After Hours?

Options
  • 14-06-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

There have been feedback to the AH mods that many posters wishes to discuss the Soccer World Cup and because of this we want to gauge the interest here.

Question, should we have a thread for "all things World Cup"? This would include discussion of players, results and matches but also everything surrounding the World Cup, i.e. clothes, banter, trumpets, whatnot.
    Everything connected to The World Cup would go in a single thread for the duration of the Cup.

Vote Yes if you want such a thread, vote No if you don't want it or are happy with the current situation (discussions are OK if they don't involve results, matches or players).

This poll is public and will close Wednesday 11am. Whatever result in the lead then will decide.

Do you want a World Cup thread? 176 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    KulganD-GenerateDocentropiBKtjeSpearStokolanFighting Irishone-angry-dwarfhardCopyRaiserJazzy[Deleted User]Frank SpencerDinnerziedthAntamojomathieKnifeWRENCHInnervision 176 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Why not have a soccer forum instead? Or maybe even a world cup forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

No
    I can see this thread going to penalties . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

No
    Stee wrote: »

We have a Politics Forum, a Music Forum, a Celebrity Forum, a News Forum etc etc.

Do we send all threads attempting to discuss any of the above on to these forums?

After Hours is supposed to be a general topic forum isn't it?

Where people can discuss the issues and topics of the day?

In perhaps a somewhat less formal and restrictive way than they might have to on those other more specific set forums?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

No
    I'm in agreement with Pete here, over in the soccer and world cup forums, things are always stricter than AH, where some people might like to take the proverbial pish out of some teams etc.

I say yes, but warnings to anyone posting the stuff outside of that thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No

the world cup forum you quoted is a betting thread, the idea of a thread on afterhours is to also disscuss the irrelevant and humorious side of the WC

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No

Yes, but we're not talking about football, we're talking about the World Cup. How it effects your life, how it's covered in the media, non-football events happening at the same time (like the riot in Durban for example) that people who don't like football may be interested in particpating in.

You can't subsribe to the soccer forum just to say you hate the world cup, or they'll label you a troll.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

No
    There should only be a WC thread in AH if it is tongue-in-cheek and in no way a place for serious discussion or debate on the matter.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'm fine with a little bit of soccer discussion in AH but I wish there was a poll on the subject of whether or not there should be a soccer thread in AH. What a boring ****ing topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No
    There should be a thread set aside for those who do want to discuss it. It doesn't have to mean a policy change for AH, it's a temporary and rare occasion in which discussion should be allowed

Although I appreciate that mods are allowing members to decide on whether or not it goes ahead, I can't help but feel that many of those who will vote no will do so merely because they have no interest in the WC, and that shouldn't impede on those that do..

nobody would be forced to partake in such a thread, it would simply be there for those who want to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

NO NO NO!!!

God dammit I hate Football so much...

If football was a person, I'd show up at it's house uninvited and take a shít on it's kitchen table...
    Then kick it in the face,
    then sleep with his wife (even though I don't really find her that attractive, I just want to mess with him... and every time he sees me, down at the shops or whatever, he'll have to deal with the knowledge that I was balls deep inside the woman he loves for over an hour, and came in her hair)
    then destroy all of his power tools by dropping them into a bucked of salty water and leaving them there,
    then when I'm leaving... set fire to his dog.

Fúcking football :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No
    Wazdakka wrote: »
    NO NO NO!!!

If football was a person, I'd show up at it's house uninvited and take a shít on it's kitchen table...
    then sleep with his wife (even though I don't really find her that attractive, I just want to mess with him... and every time he sees me, down at the shops or whatever, he'll have to deal with the knowledge that I was balls deep inside the woman he loves for over an hour, and came in her hair)
    then destroy all of his power tools by dropping them into a bucked of salty water and leaving them there,

what about soccer?

No
    I wish there was a poll on the subject of whether or not there should be a soccer thread in AH.

That would have been cool.

What would you have voted? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Having a thread about whether or not to have a thread. FFS.

Pretty much sums this place up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

No
    Definitely a megathread as a minimum. As I said in the feedback thread, it's a subject that's on everyone's lips at the moment. (Ok, a lot of people's lips.) Tbh, I'd prefer all threads on soccer allowed here i.e. one for each match as it happens live and then whatever other relevant ones people wish to start. However, if the only way to be allowed to discuss matches in progress and results etc is a megathread then I'm going to vote yes to that. Being only allowed to discuss the tiny bits around the edges is very frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

NO NO NO!!!

I detest all things foozeball too, but you gotta hold the little S.O.Bs :pac:

Also, it's more than just foozeball, this WC yoke. It is holds enough AH worthy style Hot Topics that aren't strictly about a load of lads running around in shorts after a ball on a field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Brava

No
    NO NO NO!!!

I'm not thanking this again :P

No
    Tbh, I'd prefer all threads on soccer allowed here i.e. one for each match as it happens live and then whatever other relevant ones people wish to start.

I presume you mean major International games?

Would hate to see Club Soccer discussed here.

For those that hate soccer, just do what I do with all the Muslim threads, ignore them.

No

I say yes, but warnings to anyone posting the stuff outside of that thread.

No, I disagree. Any thread started outside could just be amalgamated into the WC thread. Not everyone is going to realise there is one and it's an easier and friendlier way of doing things.

No
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    I presume you mean major International games?

Would hate to see Club Soccer discussed here.

For those that hate soccer, just do what I do with all the Muslim threads, ignore them.

Yes, I just meant for Internationals. (Actually, I was just referring to the WC in my post but Internationals in general should be allowed too, imo.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No
    There should only be a WC thread in AH if it is tongue-in-cheek and in no way a place for serious discussion or debate on the matter.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Agree with this. Debates over should Heskey be playing for England type stuff, is for the Soccer forum.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Brava wrote: »
    I'm not thanking this again :P

You never actually thanked it the first time you gormless harpie..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Brava

No
    You never actually thanked it the first time you gormless harpie..
    Well i was meant to. Now get a hair cut you hippie!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

No
    NO NO NO!!!

please ignore this post. the poster was dropped on his head as a child and therefore his opinions are meaningless.

He turned around to me half way through Pans Labrynth and said "this is a load of sh1t" so therefore he officially has no taste

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

No
    Great looks like its 72% in favour of reopening my After Hours world cup thread:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

No
    Where else can we discuss Hamanns weird eyebrows, John Giles afro, try to figure out what Dunphy is on, those fcuking horn blowing muppets, laugh at the English going to pieces, cheer on every team that France meets not to mention everyones favourite group of lads - the Camaroonararians.

Jazzy wrote: »
    please ignore this post. the poster was dropped on his head as a child and therefore his opinions are meaningless.
    I wasn't dropped... I was thrown.
    My parents said they saw a fly on the wall and tried to swat it.
    He turned around to me half way through Pans Labrynth and said "this is a load of sh1t" so therefore he officially has no taste

Slanderous lies,
    Also, that was four years ago and it was less than half way through when I thought it was shíte.

I'd watch out for this guy..
    Jazzy is under the dangerous illusion that he is both witty and creative.
    If threatened with reality, his mental defences kick in.

This can lead to loud overspeaking of the victim, often in complete and willing denial of reality, this is often followed by threats made in the voices and manor-isms of 1990's wrestlers and various characters from both the Alien series and Arnold Schwarzenegger movies.

Also... I heard he has SUPER-Aids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

No
    Just have one thread for all the shíte to go into. Should stop a new thread being created each time something lifechanging happens to a bit of leather being kicked around in south africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

TPD wrote: »
    Just have one thread for all the shíte to go into. Should stop a new thread being created each time something lifechanging happens to a bit of leather being kicked around in south africa.

One thread for all WC shíte. On reflection, I'm warming to this idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Aids By Google

:eek:

While discussing REC and The Devils backbone today that flick was mentioned to me. I acquired it about 30 minutes ago for viewing later tonight. Strange!

Well not really.

Is discussion on discussion about world cup allowed on AH? Because if it is then it can be discussed. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement