Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APB Demo

Options
  • 13-06-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else being playing the demo of this over the past few days? It runs until the 19th. I got a key through my file planet sub. I only played about an hour so far. Seems like a cross between GTA and city of heroes (which probably isn't a good thing).

Didn't do much other than run to waypoints and pick up items, then chase down somebody with a bounty. I'm sure there's more to it but it was too late in the day to play longer.

I like the idea of being able to buy game time in chunks instead of a standard sub.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm playing the demo at the moment. I'm enjoying it but haven't really got a clue what I'm doing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The first i heard of this game was when a youtube channel i subscribe to put up this video.
    Looks like a lot of fun,i might pre order this thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It does look fun, and i enjoyed it in the Beta, but the driving was horrible. Granted it was a while ago that i played it, but it was like driving on ice everywhere. I doubt i#ll pre-order it (i've fallen for that too many times lately), but will keep an eye out for it on release.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The driving is still like that. It's the biggest problem with the game. The other porblem is that it seems to be the same thing over and over, which is grand in small spurts with your mates, but I couldn't see myself playing it over a prolonged period.

I believe early access to those that pre ordered is today with general release on Wednesday,anyone pre order it?

• Advertisement

I may pick it up, but i doubt it. Too many mmo's that i've bought recently get packed away within two weeks. I'll wait for a few more reviews anyway, before deciding for sure.

Kiith wrote: »
    I may pick it up, but i doubt it. Too many mmo's that i've bought recently get packed away within two weeks. I'll wait for a few more reviews anyway, before deciding for sure.

Im with ya man hence why i seek some thoughts from boardsies :)
    Id looks like a lot of fun, i just wonder will it get repetitive after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Think I'll be giving it a miss. I liked the idea of buying time rather than subscribing. This year has been the year that I really tried out as many mmos as I could. Star Trek, Fallen earth , Allods, and LOTR. I still play Fallen earth but it seems I'm fast growing tired of "Kill 10 of type A enemies then type B followed by 50 of type A and B".

Some guys playing it on this live stream at the moment.
    http://www.livestream.com/marmottesapb

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Necron99

It really is like second life meets GTA, been playing since monday and it's good craic.
    Made myself an enforcer on the patriot server, ripping and running on hardcore gangsters is great fun, Like being Omar from the Wire but with a badge :D

The whole customisation mechanic is just out of this world, my mate hates most video games but couldn't get enough of playing around with the tattoo and logo designer. He made some spanky looking Tiki face logos for my outfit.

The game isn't perfect and needs a few bugs ironed out but all in all I think it was worth getting.

• Advertisement

Hi Necron do the missions get repetitive?

Stop making me want to buy it!!

Dcully wrote: »
    Hi Necron do the missions get repetitive?

I would say yes only so far as what kind of missions you can do but thats indicative of all MMO's to be honest, like fetch, kill, take but that said the missions never turn out the same way twice as playing with and against real people and opponents changes the whole dynamic which gives its appeal.

The action is pretty much non stop if you want it to be, car chases across the districts, all out war between cops and criminals, bounty hunting single criminals or whole groups, repossessing criminals assets or confiscating their stashes, defusing bombs from random acts of terrorism they conduct and the better you do the worse it can get for you as the criminals will mark you for some payback.
    Thats just the enforcer side.

It really is just my kind of game simple mayhem.
    To be fair also the game isn't even out retail 24hours yet, I'm sure there planning on adding alot more to it.

Necron99 wrote: »
    I would say yes only so far as what kind of missions you can do but thats indicative of all MMO's to be honest, like fetch, kill, take but that said the missions never turn out the same way twice as playing with and against real people and opponents changes the whole dynamic which gives its appeal.

The action is pretty much non stop if you want it to be, car chases across the districts, all out war between cops and criminals, bounty hunting single criminals or whole groups, repossessing criminals assets or confiscating their stashes, defusing bombs from random acts of terrorism they conduct and the better you do the worse it can get for you as the criminals will mark you for some payback.
    Thats just the enforcer side.

It really is just my kind of game simple mayhem.
    To be fair also the game isn't even out retail 24hours yet, I'm sure there planning on adding alot more to it.

Well explained,thanks.
    It sure does sound like a fun game.
    Ive read on a few forums some people saying that the aiming is a bit clunky aswell as slippery car controls,any thoughts?
    I dont mind car controls tbh but since combat seems to be the heart and soul of the game i reckon clunky aiming could be a game breaker.

Well explained,thanks.
    It sure does sound like a fun game.
    Ive read on a few forums some people saying that the aiming is a bit clunky aswell as slippery car controls,any thoughts?
    I don't mind car controls tbh but since combat seems to be the heart and soul of the game i reckon clunky aiming could be a game breaker.

Well all the car have different attributes so some will be more responsive than others, I would say if you can drive well in games like GTA or some racing game then you'll have no trouble in APB. I find the cars usually only as good as the peep at the helm ;)

As for the clunky aiming I've not experienced so far it, might have been back in beta but if thats true they've made it more fluid, What I point my cross hairs at I can hit. It's certainly no poX-Box Halo style clunky aiming thats for sure :) but maybe thats because I can't stand using a controller for TPS/FPS after using a mouse which is vastly superior for most of my life.

The only draw backs in aiming I've seen so far is when you hiding behind cover, you could think you have a clear shot on target but it clips the wall or whatever but if you pay attention to the cross hair it will let you know that it's a bad shot which is handy, the only other complaint is the 3rd person camera can sometimes mess you up when your close quarters but it only happens once in awhile.

I've not experienced any game breaking problems yet and will admit the shine of a new game is still on so I'll have to give it some time and see if it's a keeper. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Just got the game today and must say I am impressed, it's not the best game ever or anything but it's a damn good laugh. 4 of us on a team of Enforcers going around killing baddies in the one car all of us on a mic so lots of teamplay potential.

The driving isn't as bad as people say it is tbh, the aiming is to be expected from a 3rd person POV, I just wish you had some idea when the person is going to die..

Happy with it so far and can definitely see myself playing it for a few months anyway.

Reading some decent reviews this morning links for them can be found on http://www.facebook.com/APBGAME

I see smyths have it for 40 euro, might be worth a shot.

I just discovered a similar game thats free to play, might be worth a look.
    http://www.crimecraft.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I seem to be one of the unlucky ones :(

Cause it uses punkbuster and punkbuster shares some awful game breaking bug with realtek onboard soundchips I cant really play the game. It runs like a dog on my machine barely keeping it constant framerate.

Aside from that I am suffering excessive pop in of buildings and objects (So I would randomly drive into nothing and crash only for a building to appear out of nowhere) models loading wrong and so on.

All technical issues aside though I liked the level of customization on offer but it didnt catch me as being anything sort of deep. There seem to be only 2 maps to play on and there are no quest chains or anything else beyond the excuse to set up a basic variant on CTF. I know those missions have mulitple parts but its all so stock that I dont feel like I'm part of anything resembling a world.

Glad its based on hours then monthly though, cause I can leave it until I sort out my technical problems and perhaps the game is improved with new elements and then return to use up my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I played alot of this in beta, and by the time the beta was up I was bored, simply doesn't have enough depth and imo most people will be well bored with it within 2 months. Its also badly balanced and not very noob friendly if you are behind the equipment curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Inquitus wrote: »
    I played alot of this in beta, and by the time the beta was up I was bored, simply doesn't have enough depth and imo most people will be well bored with it within 2 months. Its also badly balanced and not very noob friendly if you are behind the equipment curve.

I agree, I bought the game and said I'd give it a shot as I missed the beta. Unfortunately whatever enjoyment I got out of it is gone now due to it being impossible to kill someone with a better gun than you. I emptied a whole SMG clip into a guy and he just takes it and kills me with his shotgun, queue rage quit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

APB just released buddy keys for current subscribers, i have a few lying around if anyones interested.

Only gives 7 hours of action district time unfortunatly. Should give you an idea of the game though.

They recently re-balanced the weapons so its alot more playable for new players.

Ill take on please if any left.

Ill take on please if any left.

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i'll put my name down next if there is one going

No probs, whats your email address?

Thanks Komsomolitz, got it up and running.

Im getting quite a few crashes, seems many are getting it.
    Apart from that its a pretty fun game, not sure what longevity will be however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

yeah saw it on the forums already, tho they insist that the game will continue, rumors are that EA might be considering a takeover. Wouldn't be worse thing in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

APB servers are to shut down. They were hoping to sell the game to another developer but there was no interest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11333582

• Advertisement

Plans to open up a private server for APB.

http://actiondistrict.com/

Advertisement