Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a generic or a brand name person?

Options
  • 12-06-2010 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

For me i don't see the point in forking out money on something that i find does exactly the same job. Once in awhile there are generic products that just don't cut it for me but they are few and far between. The "credit crunch" was never a factor in me seeking good value goods. I have always been a bargain hunter (why does this have bad connotations). So my question is, do you prefer generic brand products or brand name products. Also can you tell us why you have your preference?

EDIT - For anyone that does say they prefer brand quality can you explain why? I find most times they are of very little benefit. There have been studies into generic brands vs brand name brands and for the best part of it (i do know there are exceptions but they are minimal) brand name brands have been shown to have very little benefits over generic brands. So unless you're forking out for something special does it really matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

cheapo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

50/50

For things are need to be treated absolutely right, I get the best.
    For average items, I try and save a bit where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Some things, I prefer cheapo brand (biscuits, for one. The own brand - with the exception of Hob Nobs - are always better than the 'known' ones). Tesco's white chocolate's lovely, too.

Some things, I'd stick to known brands, others not so much. Depends on what I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭LaughOrDie

I hate spending money on clothes. I'm not a cheap skate but I only buy clothes when absolutely neccessary and when I do its straight to Penneys! As well as being cheap as chips they're the best fit for me. Might spend 90euro on a pair of runners if TkMaxx dont have the same for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

pretty much cheapo anything except tea and outdoor gear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Both.

Depends on the product or clothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have my own name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I usually just buy the stuff that works for me but I have a major problem with painkillers.

Painkillers, no matter what brand you buy they always say 'take two every four hours & do not exceed this' blah blah blah.

FFS I want the pain gone & two ain't gonna cut it, I've often had to double the daily dose & was still left with a tinge of pain.

That pisses me off :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

with clothes, they keep me warm and out of jail for public indecency, i dont care whats on them...

other stuff it really depends...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'll pay money for quality, but only if there's an appreciable difference (i.e. you won't catch me paying double for a pair of jeans just because they have some Italian lad's name on them).

Brand-whores are some of the most pathetic people on the face of the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 feckthepeas

I'm definitely not a brand-name person, especially not when it comes to clothes. As for groceries, people have commented on the Tesco own-brand stuff in my bathroom, which surprises me but it suits me and I don't have a huge amount of money to spend on these things.

Sometimes with food it's worth buying things that cost a little more and taste better but for practical things like cleaning products, shower gel etc., it doesn't matter to me and I have more money to spend on important things without wasting my paypacket on a brand name!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

a mix for me.. my mum buys all these clothes out of primark and wallis, like real cheapo shops and then she accesories them and then everyone thinks shes spent hundreds of pounds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tomtom101

Depends on the situation... If im buying cloths they're always brands, but for the likes of food - they're normally better non-branded!?:D

But I have buyin cheap cloths... Always fork out for them!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Generic for most things with the exception of maybe runners/shoes. Penneys ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

depends what. when it comes to things like shampoo and facewash etc, i couldn't care less about brand names. same for cereals, potato waffles, juice, [although, let's face it, tropicana IS best]. though i mostly buy raw ingredients and cook anyway.

but! when it comes to things like ice cream and chocolate... i do it right or i don't do it at all.
    this reminds me i have haagendaaz in the fridge.

quick question...the brand name toiletries you can get in the 2 euro store for [you guessed it, 2 euro] - are those legit? i think they are but i know some people think they must be fake/defective/have something wrong with them. thoughts? it's a bit crazy you can get lotions for 2 bucks that are selling for 7 or 8 in the pharmacy right next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Really only buy Vans/DC/Ethnies/QuickSilver clothes n shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Em, neither. My name is Misty Cheese. Does that really sound appetising in any brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I buy quality only, regardless of brand/no brand. Couldn't care about the cost mostly.

E.g. for food, I just buy what tastes nicest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

I'm a bad-ass mother-****er with the strength of Hercules, the brains of Einstein and the fps skills of fatal1ty:cool:

Only splash out on jeans and milk..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

I wear what makes me feel comfortable.

I hate D&G, Versache and Prada, along with every other 'luxury' brand name. Why must we be accepted into society because of our clothing tastes. It seems to me that people love to show off their wealth regarding clothes and it's sickening. Just because ITEM A costs considerably more than ITEM B, we buy it?

Who are we trying to impress?

Who the hell is Chanel, Armani and Dior anyway? Why do they cost more?
    Does that mean that I can create a pair of pants, throw my initials on them, jack up the price and make a fortune just because a pair of pants have two letters on them and their expensive?

It doesn't make sense anymore.

If I had my way, I would strip down to my birthday suit and walk the streets gladly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Brand names. It makes me feel superior to everyone else. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Own brand stuff all the way. Except beer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I really hate clothing with the brand name plastered all over it, I don't understand why people pay to advertise a brand. Once I find a brand I like though I tend to stick with it, regardless of whether it's expensive or cheap. Like I have a preferred brand for jeans, a preferred brand for t-shirts but if I found some generic brand doing good jeans I'd still try them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,976 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im not really a brand label person. Dont like them. Most of the time their clothes are crap. The only thing Ive caught myself putting on and liking are the Dickies tees. Its a simple thing to ask for a t-shirt with a pocket but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

If I was buying a car or television I would stick to good brands because I would use them everyday.

If I was buying food or clothes it wouldn't bother me as much as long as they taste/look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Only splash out on jeans and milk..

You messy boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Wont wear clothes with the brand scrawled across it, i am not an advertising board for clothing companys. Was casual shopping last weekend and nothing but laughable hidious clothes in the high street shops, one was a peach colour low v neck top with the picture of a male model on it and another selection looked like something you would imagine was worn in the navy. I want mans clothes not these expensive rags. Once again I went home empty handed but unmoved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i like to run. So I pay for Nike . And use them for running . I believe them to be the best at their job.

but spending 100 euro plus on a pair of jeans or a shirt seems just stupid to me.

Even if I had a million. I would waste money like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,121 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I go for generic brand names.

Advertisement