Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to run a house on social welfare?

Options
  • 12-06-2010 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how others do it? Likely to be facing me in the not very distant future......Tanx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Freiheit wrote: »
    Just wondering how others do it? Likely to be facing me in the not very distant future......Tanx

I haven't done it!

But you might get better replies if you provide some more information.

Are you m/f, what age are you, what age is your partner, what is your occupation, how many kids do you have, what ages are they, what assets do you have (including savings), are you going to get redundancy, what obligations to you have and what are your monthly expenses?

I suggest you speak to mabs and get a household budget drawn up. they will also let you know what you may be entitled to, e.g. you may get help towards your mortgage.

Freiheit wrote: »

askaboutmoney.com

Great irish site with an awful lot of advice.. Really really worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

While not the same situation as yours, there was some good advice in this recent thread about living for less and saving money wherever you can:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055928582

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

THis may not be much help but my friend was saying her food shop used to be about 100euro and is now between 40-50euro at Lidl. Changes like where you buy your groceries,Clothes etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Make sure you are getting every penny you are entitled to, Job seekeres allowance, child benefit etc. Find out where your local community welfare officer is a go to them if you have any questions. The money advisory bureau (mabs) are very good for advice. changing eating habits can result in big savings. For example if you were feeding a family expensive boxes of cereals for breakfast, a big box costing 4-5€ would only last a week max. Swap that for organic porridge, a 1kilo bag costing under €2 would feed a family for 2 weeks. Stock up on cheaper things that can be bought in bulk, Rice, pasta, Potatos. Choose better value cuts of meat and fish, chicken thighs, stewing beef, mackeral etc. Have a good look at where your money goes every week and see where you can cut back and make savings

• Advertisement

Cancel all sky/ntl packages.
    Get cheapest broadband you can (if it's a must)
    Shop around
    etc etc

If you can't live on the over-inflated dole we receive in this state then you're simply doing it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

That's a bit harsh, Rojomcdojo.

It depends on personal circumstances. Any sort of loans and you're screwed! Then again, the dole isn't MEANT to pay loans or mortgages or even allow savings -It's designed to carry people over until they find another job.

If you have a big mortgage you will seriously need to consider bankruptcy.

To live on the dole, you may consider a house share instead of renting a city centre apartment. More meals will consist of rice, pasta, potato, porridge, etc.

Of course, when you add in the likes of rent allowance, heating allowance and all that nonsense it will be very easy to afford plenty of luxuries. And yes, takeaways, pre-prepared food, booze, cigarettes, nightclubs, designer clothes, gifts to friends, mobile phones, broadband, sky/ntl. etc are all luxuries.

Cut all of that out and you'll manage quite comfortably.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    If you have a big mortgage you will seriously need to consider bankruptcy.

Bankruptcy in Ireland is incredibly harsh and is to be avoided if you at all can. Selling the property at a loss and taking out a loan to cover the shortfall should be seriously considered but bankruptcy is a terrible option. And isn't quite an option as you can not declare yourself bankrupt in Ireland, you can only be declared bankrupt once your creditors have brought you to court.

As it currently stands the social welfare will pay an allowance to cover most of the mortgage payment for the first year of unemployment, so there is some breathing room. But if the likelihood of ever returning to a salary which will allow the mortgage to be paid easily is low, selling and borrowing to cover the shortfall may be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Not true iguana.

SW will pay a portion of the interest on your mortgage. That's it. My mortgage is 1200 pm. I receive 232pm off my mortgage, from SW having lost my job 6months ago. My bank have agreed to interest only for 12 months, so I am paying the remainder of the interest at this stage.
    It's an urban myth that you can survive on the dole in this country.
    Two interviews next week - hopefully, I will get out this mess very soon.

Not true iguana.

SW will pay a portion of the interest on your mortgage. That's it. My mortgage is 1200 pm. I receive 232pm off my mortgage, from SW having lost my job 6months ago. My bank have agreed to interest only for 12 months, so I am paying the remainder of the interest at this stage.
    It's an urban myth that you can survive on the dole in this country.
    Two interviews next week - hopefully, I will get out this mess very soon.

So you think the dole should pay for your expensive private property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I didn't say that.

Iguana said SW will pay most of your mortgage for up to a year.
    Whether I think the state should pay for my private property is irrelevant.
    The fact is they are paying a portion of the interest on my private property.
    They are not paying most of my mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    So you think the dole should pay for your expensive private property?

1. He/she didn't give an opinion on whether or not the dole SHOULD pay for it, he/she said that it DOES.
    2. If you have some sort of issue with people who are on the dole then I hope you never find yourself on it. Pride comes before a fall.

Magenta wrote: »
    1. He/she didn't give an opinion on whether or not the dole SHOULD pay for it, he/she said that it DOES.
    2. If you have some sort of issue with people who are on the dole then I hope you never find yourself on it. Pride comes before a fall.

I am on it.

edit: Sorry for being a snotty little shít in this thread. I wish you the best of luck OP, there are resources out there such as mabs etc to help you with your finances. Hopefully you'll find a new job soon and won't be stuck on the dole for too long.

Sorry again,
    Ronan

Advertisement