Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping food on the table...?

Options
  • 02-06-2010 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So I am seriously struggling financially at the minute. I work full time on a crap wage. I have huge bills including mortgage & childcare (on my own with child). I struggle on a daily basis to keep food on the table. When I pay my childcare & mortgage at the end of each month, I have exactly 146euro left for everything else.
    I am 26 with a degree and took this job last year because of the progression that was promised - it's a minimum wage, admin role. The progression appears not to be happening however. I fought tooth and nail to buy my home and am proud of how mine and my daughters life has moved on - when I consider how low I was when I found out I was pregnant.
    What am I going to do? I am looking for a new job everyday, but have had no luck. I am considering looking for part-time work and availing of some of the benefits for single parents (back to school allowance etc), but would that be a huge step backwards, having fought so hard to stay in full time employment all through my pregnancy etc.? If I went part time, would it be a huge step to get back full time when my daughter is a bit older?
    I am at a loss as to what to do. I have looked into many other options, cheaper childcare (nothing available in my area), community creche (no places for her), moving home and renting out my place (my folks and I don't get on and I would be in a box room, so not doing that) etc etc...second job (would have to pay for childcare so no financial gain)...
    Has anyone ANY ideas for me...every month I spend about 3 days crying when I realise how little I have left for food...and yes, I have been in touch with the svp who have been very supportive...I am just barely above the threshold for any support from social welfare tho, so don't get any support there. Any ideas...please??? THanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

OP, I really feel for you. It's as though you're being punished for doing the best you can and it just isn't bloody fair.

I've no kids myself so I have no advice on what it would be like getting full-time work after working part-time, but I will say this - half the bloody country is out of work at the moment. Employers over the next few years are going to have to be very forgiving of gaps on CVs or else they'll be missing out on a lot of great people who just fell victim to the downturn. So I wouldn't worry about how bad it will look to have worked part-time during the recession. In the future, most of your fellow applicants will be in the same, or an even worse, boat.

www.citizensinformation.ie is a pretty good site, I would say that before you go looking for part-time work or leave your job, do a lot of research on what benefits you'll get. Also bear in mind that if you leave your job or reduce your hours voluntarily, it may affect any payments, so look into that too. It also may be worth visiting your local citizens' information office, as speaking to a person face-to-face can be very helpful and they may know some stuff about benefit entitlements.

I wish you the very best of luck OP, and I promise you this won't last forever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

NOTE: I cannot give you financial advice.

I suggest you talk to your mortgage institute about the potential of restructuring the mortgage itself. This might make the monthly outgoings a little less.

Also have you thought about a lodger? I know a number of people who own their home on a massive mortgage who do this as their only way of managing payments.

Do you have anyone who you can talk to about this, a friend or something. They may be able to offer you advice.

I would certainly specify that you should no make any rash judgements, like getting high interest loans or anything that could seriously hurt you in future.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies guys. To answer those questions:
    My mortgage is for 40yrs - not a hope they'll extend it as I'm only 18 months into it as it is. Nor do I want it extended!
    I have a 2 bed ground floor apt with a garden (blessed with a garden!), with an open plan livingroom/kitchen. Its not exactly huge and anyway, there are very few lodgers who would be interested in lodging with a four year old. I've considered that option from the start, but I just couldn't do it.
    Yes I have pals I talk to about this - most are in relationships though and have some sort of financial back up, be it from their boyfriends/husbands or parents. I don't have anything/anyone else financially supporting myself and my daughter. My daughters father is not in the picture (his own choice) and pays me 35pw maintenance, which is what puts me over the SW threshold for any support btw....It's like a never ending circle that I can't get out of....

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Have you applied for FIS or the OPFP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭kittykrazy

Sorry to hear about your situation but kudos for working so hard for yourself and your daughter. She's very lucky to have you as a role model.

There maybe other areas you could scrape back a few euros, for instance getting an au pair (not sure how you spell that). Basically you give a foreign speaker somewhere to live and a little spending money while they learn english/improve their english in return for child minding and light house keeping. You could even "share" the cost with another family (so she's looking after your daughter and another child).

Could you do any work at home in the evenings? I read an article about virtual PAs who just do a couple of hours here and there through an agency booking travel, taking messages, etc. Book keeping?

• Advertisement

I've looked into all of that kittykrazy....that whole virtual PA stuff, it's a bit of a scam as far as I can see. I've posted messages on sites asking if anyone actually makes any money from it - I've gotten very little response. I do however, get huge responses from ladies wanting me to become ann summers or similar sales reps...all of which involve leaving my home which involves getting someone to mind my daughter etc etc etc....
    The au pair situation is something I've also looked into - like I said, my place is small and the practicalities are that I actually only have one couch!!! I often wonder where another person would sit if someone else lived with us - honestly guys, someone living in to mind her isn't an option either. She started school last sept - sorry she's 5 now! And I thought that things would ease slightly - but what with days off and the minder charging for every collection and drop to and from school etc, it ends up almost more expensive. My minder isn't expensive btw, 5e an hour (you'd pay someone to mind your pet more than that if I'm honest ) it's just my wages are so crap....
    Sorry if it seems like I have an answer or reason not to take advice, I don't. I have researched almost every possibility over the past year though.
    And thanks for calling me a good role model for her - I hope I am...but what kind of role model can barely afford beans in lidl....:-(
    And I'm not eligible for fis either....like I said, her dad pays a paltry amount per week (court ordered) and it pushes me 17euro pw over the threshold for it.....I've appealed their decision but only got their negative reply last week...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Hi OP

Firstly fair play to you, for holding down a job, raising your daughter and getting a mortgage, it's great to see someone making a real effort to stand on their own two feet. Having been in a slightly similiar situation although not as bad I know how tough it can be.

ok, I know it's a forty year mortgage, but it may be worth taking to the bank see if there is anything they can do, even if you agree to keep the payments the same it may give you some leverage in furture with the bank as you have been so open with them in the past.

As for the 35pw, I'd seriously be going back for more money, to put it in perspective I'm paying my ex 600 pm (ok so I'm hoping to get that slightly reduced in the next few months but don't expect it to drop by much). Before going back try getting a break down of (really don't want to put it so bluntly but) how much your daughter costs? taking in childcare, food, clothes, bills and the fact that you provide a fulltime home for your daughter to live in.

Try going to MABS also, there's a big waiting list but they are meant to be great, they also have a budget calculator on there website.

As for childcare, we don't know where your daughter is eg, a crech but it may be cheaper to find someone offering childcare in their home ok so chances are they won't have the piece of paper from Montessori but a lot of them are pretty good.

Good luck with it, I know it's never easy.

Gillo, thanks.

Childcare is with a minder. Like I said, she's cheap (Im in dublin) in comparison to creches but for example, next weekend the school are taking the tuesday and wednesday off as well as the bank holiday. So that's 9.5 hours childcare at 5euro an hour...for two days...then there's thur and frid which are normal days (1.30 to 5.30)....I have to also consider 8wks over the summer holidays which is giving me alopecia even thinking about it.
    And I've brought him back to court already this year. I got an increase...he works f/t but is ill at the moment and him and the judge had a great chat about his illness while I sat there, like a lemon and got a ten euro per week increase. I had even paid for a solicitor that day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

OP - try the money makeover section on www.askaboutmoney.com - some great advice from people there.

You need to open a spending diary, keep track of EVERY cent, then look at where you can cut things back
    Do you have any debt? Can any of it be consolidated or put on hold?
    Can you cut back any bills (example, going to cheaper mobile phone tariff or get rid of ntl etc...).
    Do you have anything you can sell? A friend of mine did a clear out and brought her old junk to a car boot sale and made over 300 euro on it.
    What about support with childcare from friends/family?
    Definitely approach your lender and tell them you cannot keep up the full mortgage repayments, get the amount temporarily reduced.
    What about entitlements, have you claimed everything you can back, med 1 form, bins etc...
    Are you claiming everything possible in relation to your daughter?
    Is there any small job you could do over the weekend with your daughter in tow, to earn a small bit extra, Im thinking things like minding another child for a few hours or dog walking?
    I also thnk you need to persue your ex for more money if possible.
    Travel expenses - could you cycle to/from work - save on petrol, car insurance, tax/public transport costs.
    Do all the food shopping in Lidl/Aldi and make batches of food for freezing, much cheaper way to do it, also make your own lunches etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭kittykrazy

I mean it, you sound like a great role model for your daughter so pat yourself on your back! My mother stayed in horrible relationships just so she could be financially stable and it was a nightmare and a pretty bad message to my sisters (one can't trust and the other trusts too much and is forever being taken advantage of) so I think having an independent, educated and loving mother will give her belief in herself beause you obviously have belief in yourself.

I just spoke to this woman (for my own job seeking) http://www.virtualpa.ie/inquiry_form_3.html and she sounds on the level. The enquiry form isn't working but she said to email a cv to mail@virtualpa.ie. Her number's under the enquiry form.

Have you given recruitment agencies your CV? They can take a lot of the legwork out of looking for a job and they're financially motivated by their bonus to get you the highest salary.

I really hope things get better. Will you keep us updated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Its not exactly huge and anyway, there are very few lodgers who would be interested in lodging with a four year old. I've considered that option from the start, but I just couldn't do it.

We used to rent a 3 bed house with our son, and another lodger rented the third bedroom. It was not ideal but we couldnt have afforded to rent anywhere by ourselves. Plus, we were renting ourselves. You would be in a much better position owning the property. It might be worth looking at - even for a temporary solution.

It is not a step back to work part-time, have you acutally sat down and done the figures to see would it be worth your while?

It's always a possibility to work part-time, but has it's pro's and con's even if the wages are crap the social interaction is important to yourself. I know myself one of the things I miss about being broke is not being able to head out even if it's just the odd pint some evenings. So being able to chat to friends in work is a big thing for me. (sad as it sounds).

I've found the cooking in bulk great, I went to one of the pound shops on Liffey St and bought a load microwaveable plastic containers, and now cooks meals once or twice a weeks, it works out way cheaper especially when you check what deals are available on meat, Dunnes had a decent one over the weekend. I now bring them in and microwave the food in work, figure I've taken my weekly lunch costs down from 25-30 a week to 12-15.

You need to book yourself a consultation with a social welfare officer, I have a friend who is one and was amazed at some of the payments he told me where out there, book yourself an appointment and push your case (I'd say it's really a case of the more you ask the more you'll get).

As for money lenders, seriously tempting as they are stay away I got myself in a very bad spot through a number of things and they were handy at the time, but it's painful now paying back so much extra each month- thank christ it's only short term and no a chance I'll do business with them again.

I'm sure you're considered christmas and september, are you able to even put a few euro away each week or month.

As for renting a room out, it's an option if I was in your situation I probably wouldn't want to but even for a few months or a year it may be worth looking at. There's also the point that if you mention your child on the add, chances are you're going to get someone who's settled enough and not planning parties etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I really don't think you will like what I'm about to post but please read it carefully and consider what I'm saying.

If you are just holding on now what will happen when interest rates go up or, if your mortgage began on a teaser rate, it goes back to normal rates. I'm sorry but I doubt you can afford to keep your home on your current income.

You do still have options but they will not be easy.

1) It's not the best time for it, but try to find a different job and increase your income.

2) Seriously find different childcare, advertise looking for a childminder who can work for what you can afford. You might be surprised by who responds.

3) This is the hardest to come to terms with. Sell your property, move to rented and as you are probably in negative equity, take out a loan for the shortfall.

4) Stay as you are and when rates go up you will start to default and while it's been rare to date you will ultimately have your house repossessed. You will then be liable for the shortfall and the court costs. If you don't stick to the plan laid out to pay that back you will be declared bankrupt, which in Ireland is a harsh 12 years.

I know it's not easy to face and it doesn't feel fair, but your mortgage repayments will increase, probably significantly, in the next few years. You need to be prepared for that and take real, practical action now.

Thanks to all who replied.
    For what it's worth, I am not selling my home. I also am not getting a lodger. You have no idea how much I treasure the time myself and my daughter spend together in the evenings before she goes to bed, so sharing an already cramped space, is not an option.
    I have hope.
    And I have faith.
    Hope and faith that as a young woman I can get myself out of this hole, and share a life with someone (and a mortgage!!) and get ourselves a larger home etc. No, I'm not naieve. I am not waiting for the knight in shining armour. But I know I will meet someone and share mine and my daughters life with him. So having fought so hard to get this roof over our heads, there is no way on earth I am giving it up. I would rather live on beans on toast for an eternity. To give up on my home and rent a place after the hard slog it took me to get here, not a hope!
    Ill look into the figures. I'll ring mabs and citizens advice and Ill shop in aldi and lidl more often....
    Family support with childcare is not an option either, for reasons I won't go into here.
    And as I already mentioned, I've very recently (February) been back in court with her dad and won't be putting myself through that horrendous experience with that horrendous manm, for at least another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Where abouts in Dublin are you? My aunt lives near UCD and she rents out her box room for 50 a week(used to get bout 70 in boom days),she gets students from the country who only want the room mon-fri. Handy number!! That way have a bit of cash but not real imposition from tenant.

Also are you getting Mortgage interest relief? Its not millions but every bit helps. Did you rent before you got your home? You might be entitled to something back on the rent relief thing. (not sure how far back you can claim for)

Im currently trying to cut back on spending,i have been keeping every receipt to see where im spending my cash. Its been enlightening to say the least!! I would have thought i kept good track of my cash before but now im even taking receipts for small purchases little bottle of water in shop, and they are adding up to be huge!!!!

Buying and cooking in bulk is also good idea. Ive even started making my own bread, cheaper to get ingredients than buy fresh.(and not hard to make,considering i cant cook to save my life!!!:P) Also checking the stuff thats in the reduced section of shops,most can be frozen so your getting meals at half price. :D

Thanks.

Ive already started doing all of the above. Like I said, I don't want to share my home - for those of you who have kids, coming home at 6 with a 5yr old and trying to spend quality time with her and keep the house tidy and do the homework (which is tiny for now thankfully) and cook the tea and get her ready for bed and do the bedtime routine....it's a pretty busy evening and to have another person (student or not!) around imposing on what is already a stressful situation, wouldn't work for me at all...I'm starting to keep the receipts - and you're so right - those odd lattes in the local coffee shop beside me in work add up!
    I get this feeling every month - why am I doing this, what's it all for etc? I know that ultimately I'm trying to make a better life for both of us, but when you've 32euro left on the 2nd of june, it's hard to see the wood for the trees as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

To the OP - totally admire you - fair play.

From all the suggestions, your most likely options are:

1. To rent a room - if even for 6 months to get you out of this hole.

and/or

2. Cut back on all non essentials - from phone to TV to food.

3. Cheaper childcare - although e5 per hour is very cheap

4. Try community childcare again. Try anything - you seem resourceful (including the pity card - I dont like this but yes sometime it has to be done in extreme situations)

I know you dont want to share your home with someone, but honest if something short term helps in the long run, it makes sense to me.

BTW, if your little girl is 4, is she not going to school/preschool in september?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Thanks for the replies guys. To answer those questions:
    My mortgage is for 40yrs - not a hope they'll extend it as I'm only 18 months into it as it is. Nor do I want it extended!
    I have a 2 bed ground floor apt with a garden (blessed with a garden!), with an open plan livingroom/kitchen. Its not exactly huge and anyway, there are very few lodgers who would be interested in lodging with a four year old. I've considered that option from the start, but I just couldn't do it.
    Yes I have pals I talk to about this - most are in relationships though and have some sort of financial back up, be it from their boyfriends/husbands or parents. I don't have anything/anyone else financially supporting myself and my daughter. My daughters father is not in the picture (his own choice) and pays me 35pw maintenance, which is what puts me over the SW threshold for any support btw....It's like a never ending circle that I can't get out of....

Maybe a lodger who would only be there a few nights wouldn't mind if they didn't have to pay for the night they are not there. It's worth looking into.

She's 5 sorry and started school last sept. She's an april baby so started young...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Sounds unpleasant. Could you write some reviews? There are 2 Irish sites truvo.ie and whoseview.ie that give vouchers for writing reviews.It's time consuming but it sounds like something small that might help you. Collect points on pigsback.com, sell things on ebay, rent out a parking space if you have one.

• Advertisement

Unpleasant wouldn't exactly be a word I'd use! What reviews? Reviews about what?

I do no more or less I'm sure than any other parent would do, to keep a roof over her childs head, and try to create a stable environment for her...it's just days like today, when I look at the bank balance that get to me...

You need to get your ex to pay more, simple as.
    You've been through the courts already, but could you have a quiet chat to his family or even some of his friends to put pressure on him, believe me if I was paying that little I'd be horrified if my family knew I was being such as scab.

Just to remind people that the OP is living in a two bed apartment, that's two bedrooms for two people -herself and her child. Her daughter is now going to school so it is important for her to have a room seperate to her mother, especially as she is getting older. So I can see how renting a room is not really an option for her.

Your situation sounds tough OP but I hope things will get better for you. I think the best option is to continue looking for a different job. As you have a hard earned degree behind you and already have a job you might be lucky to secure a different job in the future if you keep trying. I know that times are tough in the job market but the right one will come along eventually. Would you consider applying for a job as a Special Needs Assistant in a school or a school secretary? This would have the same hours as your daughter and therefore cut down on childcare, you are eligible to able for either with just a degree and could do a part time course for S.N.A. should you be successful. Of course you would have to have an interest in this are aso it may not be for you. Money is not bad and hours are fantastic.

Best of Luck

Anoni, thanks for that. Your first para sums up what I've been trying to say for my last ten posts!
    I like the sound of school secretary or sna though and hadnt thought of that at all. Ill definitely do a bit more research into that, thanks.
    More maintenance not an option. He has all the fake payslips to prove his low earnings. All the paperwork to prove his illness. Not even sure if that's true to be honest. But I've no way to prove it.
    I could bring him back to court I suppose, but for those of you who've been there, it's a pretty stressful situation, and it took alot out of me, and like I said before, I'd rather not go through that again for now. Anyhow, he'd still have all the paperwork and I'd probably get a reduction knowing my luck. He had a bad relationship with his own family, so they're not involved with my daughter either - not even sure that they know about her, so that idea not an option either, sorry.

Sorry anoni - Im all for the OP getting a better paid job, with hours that suit etc etc, but unless a small miracle happens, she is going to be waiting a long time...they cut loads of SN teachers for schools for example. There is a moratorium in public sector at the moment.

I dont know what to say - everything said here isnt possible for the OP to do or she doesnt want to do it...I dont mean that in a negative way, OP has her reasons. But its either do something(s) she doesnt want to do or keep looking at the same bank balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Unpleasant wouldn't exactly be a word I'd use! What reviews? Reviews about what?I do no more or less I'm sure than any other parent would do, to keep a roof over her childs head, and try to create a stable environment for her...it's just days like today, when I look at the bank balance that get to me...

Short reviews about shops, coffee shops, supermarkets, department stores. Nothing complicated, I've been doing it myself recently. Just search for the websites I named, set up an account (no money required, just an email address) and write about places in your area.

Use bargain alerts forum here, enter competitions, you might win nice things, ask for samples of cosmetics at make-up counters (pretend you plan on buying the items)

I know some people reading will think this is silly but they are just small practical things that might make life a bit easier for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

You are a brave woman and your daughter is lucky to have you. I have read through your posts and the only thing I can think of is cutting back on the small things and watch the pennies build up.

1. Don't buy lunch out during the day
    2. Make your coffee in the office, one a week is €12 a month which can go a long way
    3. You would be surprise by how much you save by just unplugging phone chargers, the TV at night etc (get on to the ESB and see if they can put a box thingy in where you put the money in in advance and you will become more careful). TV, computer, phone charger, DVD play unplugged when not in use. Only have the lights on in the room you are in - my ESB bill for a three bed house was only €60 for two months by unplugging things and turning lights off
    4. You ex is an eejit
    5. Cut back to the most basic TV (if you haven't already - I know digital in only €2 extra a month but he add that to the coffees and you are up to €15 a month, or nearly €4 a week)
    6. I don't know if you drive, but try walk even once extra per day instead of driving?
    7. Could work let you start late so you can walk your daughter to school yourself and save on the child minder...that would be €5 per day extra
    8. Ask your boss for this payrise/ promotion - have your speech ready and say when I started I was told there would be progression, I have put a lot of work in blah blah blah - you never know
    9. As someone said buy in bulk and put your lunch and your daughters into lunch boxes (cut down on tin foil etc) and cook in bulk - a lasagna only costs a few euro to make and can be frozen in pieces and can be a week's worth of dinner over time - don't get the ready made meals as they cost a lot more
    10. Recycle are much as possible to cut down on bin charges
    11. Don't use the dishwasher (if you have one)
    12. Make the washing machine is full before putting a load on (saves money and energy)
    13. I am going to assume you don't drink or smoke because that will eat at your money
    14. Don't buy soft drinks etc - drink water, milk or get dilutable orange - it is a lot cheaper than the fizzy stuff
    15. Join online market research panels (pigsback/ lightspeed/ irish opinions) you will do a survey twice a month maybe and over time build up vouchers - it will a €10 Tesco voucher here and there but they add up
    16. Only put as much water in the kettle as you need for a cup or tea or whatever, the more you put in, the long it takes to boil and that uses more electricity (I realise I am bit obsessed with the auld ESB) or if you haven't change to Bord Gais or AirTricity - they say they are at least 10% cheaper and they will stay low for three years or whatever the offer is

I hope some of this helps, I know it is hard but you are doing brilliantly

Good luck

I do no more or less I'm sure than any other parent would do, to keep a roof over her childs head, and try to create a stable environment for her...it's just days like today, when I look at the bank balance that get to me...

Don't knock yourself too much, the roof is there, she's feed and I'm sure she knows you love her. From the sound of it you're doing all you can, which is a lot more than a lot of other parents are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If working part time means you have more money and less stress and can provide a better life for your daughter until she is in school and you need less child care then I think you should consider swallowing some of your pride and seriously think about it.

It wouldn't be for long and you have to look at how you are going to manage for the next 3/5 years.

• Advertisement

Ah I disagree - I think all parents do the best that they can do. I'm not sure how they can't, if they experience even half the love that I do for my little one....:-)

Thank you so, so much bp, for taking the time to list all you have listed. Apart from the obvious fact that I 100% agree with your point number 4, there are some truly great tips there. You've no idea how much I appreciate that, and others, who have taken the time to help me out here today.

When I first posted, it was the usual mood - no money, what's the point? Don't spend enough time with herself...what kind of mother am I yada yada yada....

Now, as I am just about heading to bed, I realise that there are things I can do, little things, but they all add up. That one coffee a week costing me 12euro for example. 12euro would get us 3/4 dinners for us. I hadnt ever thought of it like that..
    Thanks again...

Advertisement