Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Review Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a Chinese take away in Midleton? I've gotten Thai Thanie loads of times (always devine!) but I fancy something different.

I made the mistake of ordering from Jasmine once. Never again.

Might drop in here, anything is particular you would suggest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

cjmcork wrote: »
    agree re Granvilles - but Jesus H Christ, what the hell is going on in the Auld Triangle, I was in there yesterday, the old menu is gone and I think that the management think that Macroom is Kinsale, they were seriously pushing the fish menu - some of the dishes were 20 quid a pop - message to the management of the AT - you are going to lose your customers if you continue to charge Celtic Tiger prices for the food you could get before for under a tenner, if I want a 20 quid fish dish, I'll go to Hayfield Manor and have it under silver service thank you - you are serving pub grub, not french cuisine.............we left before we were served and went to the Castle instead (and got 2 main courses for less than a tenner each).............rant over - it kills me to see what was such a lovely place go so downhill

I see that allright. Luckily my woman likes fish!!!. Granvilles is just as dear imo and not as nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

In Ballincollig, Thai Tanie is gorgeous. Caseys Bar do a great Carvery and Tastees (Chinese) does a 4 course for €20 - lovely food & staff. You can't beat Dinos in the shopping centre for a decent breakfast! :p

McCarthy's Bar on Model Farm Road - I've eaten in both the bar and the restaurant and would give both a thumbs up. The Bay Leaf in Douglas - great €20 early bird - beautiful food. The Rising Tide in Glounthaune - lovely food with the added advantage of a full bar. ;) I've eaten in both the Golf Club and hotel bar at Castlemartyr Resort in the last few months (it's owned by Dromoland now not Capella) - enjoyed the food in both places. Nice view over the course from the golf club bar. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lordhaha

I travel alot on the N20 and at last have found a great place to eat, half way between Cork and Limerick.

The Orchid, Main St. Buttevant, Co. Cork

A small cafe/restaurant halfway up the main street. Roast of the Day €10.00
    Deserts under €4. Friendly staff, excellent food and generous portion's.

Well worth poping in even if just for a coffee as it is like a mini museum of the area also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

cjmcork wrote: »
    agree re Granvilles - but Jesus H Christ, what the hell is going on in the Auld Triangle, I was in there yesterday, the old menu is gone and I think that the management think that Macroom is Kinsale, they were seriously pushing the fish menu - some of the dishes were 20 quid a pop

I had this exact same conversation with someone yesterday :D

€15.50 for MACKEREL!!?? :eek: They're loosing the plot in there aright, Mackerel is one of the cheapest fish you can buy, about €1.50 each from a fishmonger. I reckon they are trying to push the fish a bit more in order to try compete with Granvilles a bit more.

They still have the old menu there too and they are still refusing to charge proper pub grub prices for it. For some reason, they think that they can charge restaurant prices for what is essentially standard pub grub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

had lunch in the Crows Nest Lissarda (formerly Mai Fitz's) today (second time in the past few weeks) - gotta say, it's lovely in there and the food is decent aswell, good portions, realistically priced and the staff are super-nice! defo very high up on the list of places to go when I want to eat out now without heading into the Collig!

also, in the Collig, La Boheme is lovely - ditto re above, super staff, realistic prices - very customer friendly...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I was actually going to try it a few times as I seen it recommended here by trotter. Any time I have passed the car park is empty and this has turned me off. Agree on the Auld triangle. I dont think the grub is anything to write home about and neither is Granvilles. The hotel is only average too.

Advertisement