Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just discovered DVDs I rented 6 MONTHS AGO....what to do?

Options
  • 10-06-2010 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for peoples advice on the following situation: Ok, 6 months ago I rented five dvds and thought I had brought them back long ago........turns out I hadn`t. I discovered them with a bunch of my own dvds in a box when I was cleaning my flat yesterday and now Im not sure what to do. They have been out *6 months* and I estimate the fine must be around 450 euro at this stage. I am unemployed and already snowed under with debt so there is no way I could possibly pay the fine. The way I see it, my options are as follows:
    1-Bring them back and explain the situation. They will most likely demand I pay the fine and I will end up in prison because I cant pay it.
    2-Say nothing and hold onto them. Just never go back to that rental shop again. They have not contacted me looking for them, so nothing may come of it. Then again, I worry that if I do this, 3 years later I may get a solicitors letter looking for thousands of euros.....or am I overreacting here?
    3-Go in and say I lost the dvds and opt to pay for them instead. Of course if I do this I may end up paying for them and being made to pay the fine AS WELL which I CANNOT possibly pay.

Sugestions? Does anyone have experience in a similar situation? I dont want to draw their attention to me seeing as they havent been in contact but Im worried if I say nothing they will come looking for me at some point and the fine will have grown larger still. I don`t know what to do. I cant get a loan off anyone, Im already over my head in debt I cant pay and with no job there is on way on Earth I can afford this fine. Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rental copies of a DVD cost about €50 to buy, so they won't be looking for hundreds of euro for non-return. The bulk of the cost of running a DVD store is the overheads of rent and staff. €4 a night doesn't reflect the cost of the DVD itself.

They aren't your property, you have to return them. If they look for money, see what they are looking for, explain your situation and ask if you can do a deal. Most businesses are pragmatic and are likely to settle for something rather than nothing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I'm not totally sure but as far as I'm aware, there's a cap on the fines...I may be wrong but I think it's only around a fiver. I found some after about one month and it was only €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

There's one DVD rental chain that, last I saw, had a big sign saying, 'Owe us money? Rent any DVD and we'll wipe your account clean'. I can't remember which one but I think it's Chartbusters, it's the blue one anyway with the sun beds and internet.

What I would do is walk in, hand them back, walk straight out and never return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Omg I seriously wouldn't go down to the shop. I'd go for the option of just not going to that shop again! They will more than likely make you pay a fine. It's not as if anyone notices at this stage, but it might bring it to their attention if they look at your account/you go down there!

Count yourself lucky, maybe give them to somebody as a present to balance the karma, haha. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Hi op, first off dont worry you will make it worse by doing so (said by a true worrier) ok can you say which chain it was? I ask because (and i am sure another boardsie can clarify) but there was a story awhile back that one chain of rental stores were wiping their outstanding fines across all customers in an effort to entice people back, makes sense really.

"We aint gettin that money back, people are not gonna come near the shop if they owe us money, if we wipe the slate clean they will come back and spend more" kinda thing

Check into it, for all you know this could be your chain and you will be grand :)

Edit as dory said above it seems to be chartbusters

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

How about you ring up another branch & ask them what happens if you rent a DVD and it gets lost / stolen? The person will probably tell you what the policy is. Don't give your name, obviously. If the idea scares you, get a friend to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

!!! wrote: »
    Omg I seriously wouldn't go down to the shop. I'd go for the option of just not going to that shop again! They will more than likely make you pay a fine. It's not as if anyone notices at this stage, but it might bring it to their attention if they look at your account/you go down there!

Count yourself lucky, maybe give them to somebody as a present to balance the karma, haha. :)

Ignore this ^ Something similar happened to me last year it was 2 movies 3 months late. Went down to local Xtravision and explained what happened. We agreed on a 50 euro fine which i was then allowed to pay back at 2 euros everytime i rented another movie. As has been mentioned business are pragmatic and they would prefer to have your custom than not. All will be well my friend.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

I'm sorry - I'm not a rude person but I don't see the point of bringing this on yourself now. As thoughtful as it would be to return them and pay a fine (you will be given), it would be more thoughtful to think of yourself and save your money which you are short of atm.

I highly doubt if the average members of staff there give a crap if the shop they work at is missing some DVDs.

Look after yourself. It wasn't intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Most video shops have a letterbox you can drop them in when shop is closed. So you wouldnt have to talk to anyone just drop them in and run :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I work in xtravision- last month someone dropped me back a tape! (i'm not kidding!!)

Xtravision cap their fines at 9euro per film for new release. it's caped at 5euro for older ones
    Just drop them back and you'll be fine, stores are just happy to get their stock back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

that or call them up on the phone and ask about the situation without giving any personal details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

guest12345 wrote: »
    I work in xtravision- last month someone dropped me back a tape! (i'm not kidding!!)

classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

same thing happened me, i wouldnt have bothered dropping them back only I wanted to keep using the place, was shocked it was only a tenner. They make alot more money off you by coming back on a regular basis to rent more so they dont mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,407 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Bring them back, explain that you completely forgot about them. If the fine is €9 or even more per dvd just agree that you owe them money but say you can't afford to pay it off all in go, and could you pay it back at maybe €4 or €5 every rental/fortnight/month. As others said, they want your custom more than the money, and if you bring them back at least they have their property back.

Don't follow the awful advice of keeping them and never going near them again as it is for lack of a better term "theft". Just go in with your tail between your legs, say that you didn't want to drop and run because you have spent money there before and want to stay with them, you're incredibly sorry, and they will be symapathetic and appreciate that you came back with them because keeping something for 6 months is obviously a mistake more so than you actually viewing the films over and over.

You'll be fine, but bring them back, and act sorry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

!!! wrote: »
    it would be more thoughtful to think of yourself and save your money which you are short of atm.

Look after yourself. It wasn't intentional.

Jaysus: Keep someone else's property, ignore your obligations, and save yourself money by being dishonest. Now There's a manifesto to live by. Howaya former Taoiseach. :D

Anyway, OP, you seem like a decent sort. The people who run DVD stores arent ogres, if worst comes to worst, having returned them & apologised for what appears to be a genuine misunderstanding; you will be able to negotiate a figure and a timeframe if they ask you to repay a fine (a fine, I must add, which if they do ask you to pay, will be negligible, and nowhere near the cost of a new rental copy dvd).

Ideally, they'll just be happy to have the property back, (a huge amount of DVD stores income comes from selling off ex rental dvd) and they may well have already written the fine off as an amnesty loss, in which case, in the current economic climate, they'd probably be more happy to welcome you back as a returning potential paying customer than they would be to have a couple of extra movies to throw in the ex-rental bin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Also, when they give you the amount you could ask them if they will take half of it and write off the rest. Some of them will.

They would prefer you to be back as customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

This may be a stupid suggestion but maybe you could make an anonymous phone call to the video shop and ask their policy on people returning DVDs after a long time. Maybe find a phone box and call them from there. You could also set up an email address on Yahoo or Gmail solely to contact the shop.

I'm sure the shop will be happy to come to an arrangement anyway. If you had returned the DVDs the shop would more than likely be selling them used for about €4 or €5 now so I don't think they've lost that much money. They'll probably just charge you a few euros.

Edit - I do think you should return the DVDs. Maybe if you contact the shop first though you can walk in calmly without worrying that you're going to have to pay an exorbitant fine or be prosecuted (which you more than likely won't be).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 John Lynch Ph.D

I think legally if the DVD's are out longer then a month it becomes a criminal matter and therefore would not be subject to the video store's fine protocols.

However, they could technically sue you for lose of earnings which could be calculated at the nightly rental price, so say 5 dvd's at 3 euro each for 6 months.

5 x 3 x 180 = €2,700 plus legal fee's. I'd get saving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,407 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think legally if the DVD's are out longer then a month it becomes a criminal matter and therefore would not be subject to the video store's fine protocols.

However, they could technically sue you for lose of earnings which could be calculated at the nightly rental price, so say 5 dvd's at 3 euro each for 6 months.

How does DVD's being out over a month become a legal matter?? It's still under the remit of Xtra Vision's rental/fine policy. Ive never once seen a rental agreement that states that when a DVD is unreturned for a over a month it becomes a matter for the police and/or solicitors.

If Xtra Vision brought a customer to court for €2,700 for loss of earnings on 5 dvds that they haven't themselves even tried to reclaim, they'd be laughed all the way out of the court, the most they could claim for is the cost per DVD considering there are no aggravating factors. And even on that, they'd never take the OP to court over 5 DVDs. Loss of earnings is more so associated with claims for when someone is put out of work or unable to work, not when a tiny bit of stock is unreturned.

Get a grip and stop talking nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Two options as I see it;

A) Drop them in, walk out. Never enter the shop again. Job done.

B) If you wish to keep using the store, then discuss what happened when you drop them back, agree a fine....and tell them you'll pay off a few euro a week.

Either way it's nothing to be worried about. Personally, I'd just drop them back then use a different store.

The Garda would be unlikely to become involved unless there was fraud or similar accusations, which isn't the case here.

No. Within a few weeks of release, no DVD would be rented every night. In any case, no judge would award such damages against a company that can buy a replacement DVD for €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

OK OK OK, come on crisis averted. In modern days I don't think xtravision will want to be losing it clientele

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Keep them and use them as coasters. Problem solved.

Wagon wrote: »
    Keep them and use them as coasters. Problem solved.

Can we keep it constructive please?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

My ex rented a DVD on my account over a year ago and I didn't know. Came across the DVD box a few months ago, I went to Xtra Vision and explained the situation. The manager just cleared my account and I put a password on it so only I can use it from now on :). I was quite embarrassed but the manager was saying they write off old stock anyway so it was all good and I'm now able to rent movies again! :)

I would return the dvds, explain the situation to them. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Where did you pull that from?? Complete nonsense. I just returned a dvd I discovered in my office drawer, rented just before christmas. Cant remember the exact fine, but i picked up three for three euro and had enough change of a tenner to buy a nice bottle of orange :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

A) Drop them in, walk out. Never enter the shop again. Job done.

This is the obvious solution.

Done it myself in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

I dont see the problem, and dont see what the issue is with facing up to personal responsibilities.

The OP is clearly feeling bad about the situation, so should just do the right thing. There is no need for them to avoid the store forever, get a solicitor, hide in their attic or enter the witness protection programme. Some folk here are overreacting slightly.

As has been explained by some of the more level headed posters here, the best solution is to return the store's dvds & just tell the store manager what happened.

The dvd store will be A) Glad to get their property back, and B) Glad to have a potential paying customer return.

In an absolute worst case scenario, the OP may possibly be given a fine because they held on to the dvds for a long period, (to be honest I sincerely doubt there'll be a fine at all...) but if they DO get one, it will be minuscule, and they'll have plenty of time to pay it if they wish to continue using the store.

At the moment, Video stores need custom more than they need aggro, so just pop in with the dvds and 'splain yourself. Legal action & heavy fines are frankly about as likely as Dinosaurs colonising the moon.

Advertisement