Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Industry to collapse within months warns Thom Yorke

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    My only point is this:

ALL BANDS NEED LABELS IF THEY WANT TO MAKE MONEY.

and

ALL OF YOUR FAVOURITE BANDS, EVEN THE FAILURES, WERE SEEN AS COMMODITIES BY THEIR LABELS.

Labels are failing because of the internet, primarily.

If it didn't exist, the music business would be in much better shape.

BUT!

The music industry, while being way too slow to react to the internet, wasn't responsible for the internet, or music piracy.

Yes, they put out garbage and screwed over many bands, LIKE EVERY BUSINESS, THEY ARE PRONE TO RIDICULOUS AND OFTEN SELF-DESTRUCTIVE BEHAVIOUR.

But c'mon, without labels, all the music you love wouldn't exist.

Will things change?

The industry is along history of business trying to adapt to changing times, change is inevitable.

So, look, sorry if you think I was being rude or whatever, I was trying to be conversational and playful.

I guess my main point is this:

At the end of the day, until there's an ACTUAL way for bands to MAKE MONEY, REAL MONEY from the internet, labels are essential.

again - if you had been reading my posts you will have noticed I have said from the beginning of this thread that there will always be a need for labels.

that does not mean the music industry isnt due a massive, massive shift in focus. hopefully far away from the primary objective of making a lot of money. the church, devo, zappa, neil young and a million others have made music, have made money but still retained credibility. this idea that money is everything has had it's day.

By the way, labels are failing because people involved in music think labels are failing because of the internet. they are oblivious to the simple fact that you cant fight the internet - you have to incorporate it into label strategies - something that is obviously too hard to understand for the music industry. If distros had looked after record shops by making sure they had online point of sales, then most shops wouldnt have closed. but then again, thats the backward thinking music 'industry' for you. (remember, distribution is something thats under the control of the majors). better to scream and cry at 'the internet' rather than work out how to use it.

I think personally you are just a bit too enamoured with this music industry thing. You should take the blinkers off every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

Judgement is often swayed by desire. It's a well-know facet of human behaviour.

The stronger the yearning, the greater the confidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Advertisement