Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deaf Baby's Reaction To Cochlear Implant

Options
  • 09-06-2010 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭

This 8 month old baby was born deaf, watch the moment as his cochlear implant is activated and he hears sound for the first time, and his mother’s voice.

/tear

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I..er....think I have some dust in my eye :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

That's just brilliant to watch. Can we even imagine what it is like to suddenly gain a new sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

As a Deaf person, You don't see the positives that much often. It's a lovely video.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

My speakers are broken, but he certainly looks happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

That's just brilliant to watch. Can we even imagine what it is like to suddenly gain a new sense?

Get a spider bite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

That just brightened up my otherwise shoite day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Can't believe anyone hasn't said this yet but, yummy mummy alert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Great video - that genuinely brought a tear to my eyes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Yeah...but not now!

Great video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

That puts things into perspective, bigtime

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

Dunno what to say.....
    Thanks for posting Mr. Tallon, what a lovely thing to see.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yeah, thanks for that link. Very sweet. Amazing to see years of research and work into making such implants come to life with a baby's smile. Ah. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

great video.

sad to see the "pro-deaf" american sub culture arguing that these things should be banned in the comments :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

subway wrote: »
    sad to see the "pro-deaf" american sub culture arguing that these things should be banned in the comments :(
    I know, right? That little activist group is sick and twisted. They went from empowerment to an abomination.

That video is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

My speakers are broken, but he certainly looks happy

Post a vid of the first time you get them working again.

Amazing video. I've heard it can be very overwhelming for people to suddenly gain a sense they never had. Especially in adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Amazing stuff. Truly amazing.

Started reading the comments on Youtube and lasted about 30 seconds. There really are some crazy ass people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

having just had a kid its pretty special to see them react to your voice for the first time, so id imagine its out of this world for that family considering the circumstances.

thanks OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Man I must be getting soft in my old age.....cool video.

Heh, love the way about ten seconds in he just lets the soother fall out of his mouth, like a little aristocrat losing a monacle in shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

strobe wrote: »
    Man I must be getting soft in my old age.....cool video.

Heh, love the way about ten seconds in he just lets the soother fall out of his mouth, like a little aristocrat losing a monacle in shock.

lol best simile ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mysticvean

If you had a deaf baby, you'll insert a cochlear implant?

I wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

ffs

Y u ruin a great thread? /(

what's great about it?

think about it.

You're only given one side of the story.

Yes, it is wonderful that this particular baby is benefitting from the cochlear implant.

However one must know both sides of the story to come to a complete conclusion.

Cochlear implants being inserted do not mean the baby is cured.

This is a dangerous misconception.

The child is still deaf. And the very act of inserting the implant actually destroys any natural hearing the child has.

Being Deaf is not about being with 'broken ears'

Don't get me wrong, if someone loses his or her hearing and wants an implant, I'm all for it.

Bear in mind it works for some, and does not, for others.

Why would I not implant my deaf baby? there are other options open to my child than just the implant.

I know plenty of people with cochlear implants and they are leading happy and productive lives, REGARDLESS. In some cases, it improved their lives. In other cases, they had to stop using the implant as it just does not work for them.

As we all know, there is a difference between picking up sound and making sense of what you pick up. Cochlear implants do a terrific job of picking up a mechanical version of sound. However, the second part, the making sense of what is picked up is beyond the abilities of the implant.

Did you even watch the video?

Tallon wrote: »
    Did you even watch the video?

yes, i did. why do you ask? I wouldn't have commented otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Shame on the parents for trying to give their child a better quality of life.

:rolleyes:

THAT is what annoys me. The presumption that cochlear implants is the ONLY thing to make a deaf child's quality of life better.

I never said anything like that.

Cochlear implants work for some, which is great.

Cochlear implants do not work for others, which is a disappointment.

Cochlear implants is not the only thing on offer.

The way people were going on (not in this thread, but overall) is that the cochlear implant is the only option for an improved quality of life, it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Do you have the percentages of success/failures when implanted as a baby by any chance?

Critics of the CI industry often point to this very issue, the secrecy when it comes to success/failure rates.

Every surgery involves some risk. So of course when dealing with such a delicate procedure as cochlear implant surgery, there are documented cases of children having died of menigitis after CI surgery, especially in certain hospitals in America.
    (I know citing my sources is very important, so bear with me until I get the opportunity to check the books on Tuesday after the bank holiday weekend.)

However, I am glad to say Beaumont hospital here in Ireland, where people get their CI surgery carried out, has had very good results. At least I haven't heard of any illness as a result.

As for online sources: (To be balanced, I'm giving you both sides so you can decide for yourself.)
    http://www.bioethicsjournal.com/past/pbj1.1_weinberg.pdf

http://www.milestonemom.com/cochlear-implant-controversy-for-hearing-impaired-children/

Bear in mind, I am NOT against implants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Mysticvean wrote: »
    Every surgery involves some risk. So of course when dealing with such a delicate procedure as cochlear implant surgery, there are documented cases of children having died of menigitis after CI surgery, especially in certain hospitals in America.
    (I know citing my sources is very important, so bear with me until I get the opportunity to check the books on Tuesday after the bank holiday weekend.

Here you go. http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/full/10.1086/524083

Went to the meningitis wiki page and searched Cochlear and that was the reference.

Advertisement