Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Athlone

Options
  • 07-06-2010 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Richard Graces,
    Great service, great selection of beers, shots and cocktails.
    Good bands, good music, nice atmosphere.

Flannerys - A timeless classic. (I;m actuallt been seriousm, i love the place) Great for a pint and a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Richard Graces,

Flannerys - A timeless classic. (I;m actuallt been seriousm, i love the place) Great for a pint and a chat.

its only open a month, so at the moment its a little early to call it the best in the town... having said that it does look well and is getting good feedback

I know its only open a short while, but its currently my favourite pub. I use to love Potters too.

So whats your favourite pubs Snyper & Obaraten?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Only when theres no music on ;)

I used to occassionally nip in to Flannerys, but last time I was there the crowd were a bunch of tossers, the kind who were going there just so they could sound cool by telling everyone they were there. Very cringeworthy when I heard someone say ... "we can make this like the new Seans"

Yeah I remember that. (Was it last summer or the Summer before?) There was a month or two when people started going to it for some reason. Thankfully they have all gone back to seans or the snug!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Yeah I remember that. (Was it last summer or the Summer before?) There was a month or two when people started going to it for some reason. Thankfully they have all gone back to seans or the snug!

It was only a few months ago, on a Friday night, last time I was in there.

I wonder did Anne feck them all out ... or serve them from the dodgy tap :D

I know its only open a short while, but its currently my favourite pub. I use to love Potters too.

So whats your favourite pubs Snyper & Obaraten?

My favourite is Seans, but my fiance doesnt like it so we normally go to the snug, and over to coppers to get a late drink or knifed

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

snyper wrote: »
    My favourite is Seans, but my fiance doesnt like it so we normally go to the snug, and over to coppers to get a late drink or knifed

Yeah ive been knifed in there 9 times. Love RG's its my new favourite too. Dont like the other new place Jds, and the little girls trying to shove the free shot voucher down your throat are actually very annoying. And its only mickey finns anyways.

I also like gertie browns. when its not too packed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Coosan Tavern for me. Local and friendly, footy catered for with chips and saussies from Jimmy's at half time for big games. Don't sit in Paddy's seat or he f00k ya out of it!!! :D

• Advertisement

Coosan Tavern is grand actually, go in there for a pint the odd time as one of the lads lives near by.

I hate Seans, One day they kicked me out for having thumb wars (1 2 3 4 I declare thumb war!), there was no one else in the pub, and he still kicked us out. Another time we were waiting to get served (also no one in the pub again as it was during the day) and the old geezer behind the bar said he'd serve us when he was finished eating his sandwich. We left.

Snug is nice enough actually, but if I was drinking around there I'd have to go to the Castle Inn. Delicious pints. Had the nicest pint of bud ever there for the Magners League final this year. Even my friend who doesn't drink bud, tasted it and decided to drink bud for the night!

Coppers isn't as bad as people make out. There is always a decent late crowd, and hot older women!(not old but just not kids if ya know what I mean, I don't want to offend any hot older women who I may bump into on a night out and try and chat up whilst highly intoxicated !). Nice warm dry smoking area upstairs.

Another time we were waiting to get served (also no one in the pub again as it was during the day) and the old geezer behind the bar said he'd serve us when he was finished eating his sandwich. We left.

about 50? Beard, looks like he has AIDS?

Hes an asshole. Verbally attacked a woman in the snug one night because she said hello to him, unfortunatley for her she was american and the entire war on Iraq, vietnam and global warming was personally her fault apparently

Hes an asshole. Verbally attacked a woman in the snug one night because she said hello to him, unfortunatley for her she was american and the entire war on Iraq, vietnam and global warming was personally her fault apparently

Yeah thats the man!
    Was she hot and prepared to put out though? If so shame on him. Or been american did she require numourous dates and that sort of stuff. If so I will buy him a pint, although i will stick my mickey and stir the pint with it beforehand, unbeknownest to him!

i will stick my mickey and stir the pint with it beforehand, unbeknownest to him!

HA HA!!! yeah hes a bit odd and does not like to see anyone "having the craic"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Ah, Dinny. Odd fellow, but he's ok if you speak his language. I don't.

. If so I will buy him a pint, although i will stick my mickey and stir the pint with it beforehand, unbeknownest to him!

he'd like that id say... get your missus to douche her fanny with it. That would be more apt id reckon

he'd like that id say... get your missus to douche her fanny with it. That would be more apt id reckon

mmmm creamy pint!!! LOL

Maybe he'd like that with his sandwich!!

athlonelad wrote: »
    mmmm creamy pint!!! LOL

Maybe he'd like that with his sandwich!!

mayonaise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Richard Graces,

By great selection of beers, what do you mean? What sort of beer is a great selection? Just curious are they serving proper Irish beer from Irish micro's or do you just mean a great selection of mass produced beer available at every pub in the country?

If the former then it might be worth a visit. :D

Saruman wrote: »
    By great selection of beers, what do you mean? What sort of beer is a great selection? Just curious are they serving proper Irish beer from Irish micro's or do you just mean a great selection of mass produced beer available at every pub in the country?

Im guessing the latter.. euro beers

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »

Its not micro brew stuff by any means, but just a nice variety of bottled beers that are not generally available in other pubs around.

Kastell Gru is the one i liked , but had a load of them but just can't remember the names, as i was bananas

They should get a good quality beer like rolling rock in!!!;)

Had a pint of Galway Hooker recently in The Kings Head in Galway, it tasted great but the smell nearly killed me. It was a very strong smell that reminded me of San Miguel beer you get over in Spain when your on holidays!

Give me mass produced beer anyday. you know what your in for at least. nice to try out the irish craft beer but there has to be enough people drinking it in a pub to ensure you always get a fresh pint.

The smell nearly killed you? It's called aroma and hops ;)

The finishing (aroma) hops used in Hooker are cascade which give a very citrusy grapefruit aroma and taste.
    Pure heaven for a hop head like me, though very tame by IPA standards. The one I have on tap at home is about 3 or 4 times hoppier.
    Also there is a good bit of wheat (7% or so) in hooker which makes it a little different from some other American IPA styles out there.

not that kinda smell. im talking wet sweaty socks kinda smell. like u get from a beer thats been sitting in the line too long. i dont know how far the keg room is away from the tap but my pint was not fresh. thats why i dont like chancing "irish craft beers" in a pub unless i know that its getting enough use.
    nothing against galway hooker in general. i will have to chance it again another time

Ah, I can't imagine a wet sweaty sock smell being good. However I would imagine the Hooker being popular at the Kings head I have had it there myself, unless everyone who drinks it goes to The Salt House and gets it there along with all the other beers they serve.

If so I will buy him a pint, although i will stick my mickey and stir the pint with it beforehand, unbeknownest to him!

Maybe thats what happened to me!!!!

Boredatwork do u have a cheesey knob?

athlonelad wrote: »
    Maybe thats what happened to me!!!!

Boredatwork do u have a cheesey knob?

Ask your ma!:D

Anyways back on topic......

Ask your ma!:D

Yeah she said ya do!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 joconnorau

I've been in Richard Graces bar now a few times over the last couple of weeks and i have to say it is the place to be.... Great venue and fantastic staff but my favourrite things are the large out door smoking area and the COCKTAILS...... If you havent been there yet its a place you have to go......!

• Advertisement

just dont get the chocolate cocktail. rotten!!

Love RGs though,

Advertisement