Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1,000km in a day?

Options
  • 05-06-2010 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Looking to get some advice as I can't find much info on other sites. This summer I need to get from Calais to Munich in a day. It's about 1,000km and I'd be likely to be the only driver in the car (A4 2.0 tdi). Does that sound reasonably doable or completely mad? We're hoping to stay in Munich for 3 nights (giving two full days before the next leg of the trip), so the alternative is to go halfway (e.g. Frankfurt or somewhere nearby) and stop there somewhere. Just two people in the car so no hassle of kids or anything like that.
    Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anywhere from 10 - 16 hour drive there depending on road conditions. Its achievable but would require plenty of breakstops to gain some rest. even if they are only stopping for 10-15 to get a coffee and stretch the legs.

Id advise to share the driving if i was you. Last thing you want is to be tired and lethargic on roads you have never been on, very easy to cause incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I personally think that's a bit extreme - if you can average 120kmph (hard enough), then it'll take you 8 hours of continuous driving with no rest stops.

Including stopping for meals & breaks you're probably looking at a 10-12 hour drive in one day. It's going to be relatively gruelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Tight going in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Thanks for the replies. The flip-side if I split it into two days is that it'd still be about 500km each day so two pretty tiring days instead of one very tiring one. My hope was that the network is good enough heading through Germany to cover ground a little bit quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

You'll find 500km with a rest between far easier than 1000km with no break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

This sounds like a "Top Gear" challenge... or a Smokey & the bandit film.

Just an idea, can you take your car by train ? Motorail Link

If you didn't want all that driving, you can drive to Dusseldorf (under 4 hours from Calais) then get the train to Munich. Although that's looking like around €300+

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No problem, done it a few times myself.
    It's all motorway and easily do-able (even in a slow-coach VW camper) ...the only condition would be that you are well rested when you set off in Calais.

Best route is through Belguim, past Aachen, Ludwigshafen, Stuttgart, Munich

Takes about 11 hours driving the slow camper, only stopping to fill the tank and empty the bladder :D with a slightly faster car and reasonable traffic you should be able to do it in 10 hours.

How are you getting to Calais though? It's a bit of a slog to go there as well.

Also consider the route Holyhead - Hull - Rotterdam ...nice relaxing overnight ferry to Holland and Rotterdam-Munich is somewhat shorter than Calais-Munich as well.

The Motorrail option looks great, but kinda defeats the purpose of a roadtrip! :)

peasant - glad to hear you think it's doable. For the first leg we're heading Dublin-Holyhead-Folkestone-Calais with ferry then channel tunnel train for novelty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

To do 1000 in a day is tough. I clocked 785 kms yesterday. Would have done it in 8 hours but bad crash in Limerick put nearly 2 hrs on journey.

If you leave early enough and get a couple if coffee stops it is acheivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Very doable. I've done such journeys on numerous occasions on two and four wheels. You will average 100km per hour (including all stops, eat, pee, rest, fuel etc.) travelling at 120kph - 140kph. Ten hours should see you there or thereabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

It might depened a bit also on how many kms per year you drive.
    Had a couple of those 1000 + kms trips with a friend of mine but since he was doing 70.000 km a year he didnt mind at all to do that 1000 in 1 go.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I did it in an Opel Kadett years ago, at 160km/h all the way. It is doable, but it'll be very tiring and probably a bit less than completely safe. If it were me i'd overnight somewhere nice.

g0g wrote: »
    The Motorrail option looks great, but kinda defeats the purpose of a roadtrip! :)

peasant - glad to hear you think it's doable. For the first leg we're heading Dublin-Holyhead-Folkestone-Calais with ferry then channel tunnel train for novelty!

I really ...really ...recommend the Hull-Rotterdam route ...changes the whole trip from just about do-able to almost enjoyable.

I've done that journey several times (from southern Germany as well). Doing it the long way leaves you knackered for a few days, going via Rotterdam it's pretty relaxed, ready for work the next day.

peasant wrote: »
    I really ...really ...recommend the Hull-Rotterdam route ...changes the whole trip from just about do-able to almost enjoyable.

I've done that journey several times (from southern Germany as well). Doing it the long way leaves you knackered for a few days, going via Rotterdam it's pretty relaxed, ready for work the next day.

Off topic a bit but i am curious about how much that trip to Rotterdam would cost?
    I am from Holland and always fly back when i have to. Going by car will be more expensive of course but lots of that can be won back by using the rather large boot of my car...

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

inforfun wrote: »
    It might depened a bit also on how many kms per year you drive.
    Had a couple of those 1000 + kms trips with a friend of mine but since he was doing 70.000 km a year he didnt mind at all to do that 1000 in 1 go.

I'd echo this - if you're an experienced driver - experienced at putting in big mileages, regularly, then off you go; but if this is a one-off, then you'd be better advised to break the journey.

As a compromise, can I suggest you plan your route, including specific rest breaks, rather than just keep driving until you come accross someplace and feel the need? Or even suss out one or two 'Plan B' locations for potential overnight stops, so you have them in reserve if needed.

Too late for Rotterdam option unfortunately as chunnel crossing is booked and want something different! Have done some pretty long distance driving to date and used to do about 50,000km a year in a previous job. I'm thinking the option of having a backup hotel is probably best then in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Done similar distances a few times but take an hour break in the middle.

You'll need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Id go for it. To hell with the begrudgers.
    If you start to feel a bit tired, stop and have a 15min power nap. This has worked numerous times for me in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lurching wrote: »
    Id go for it. To hell with the begrudgers.

I wouldn't really call them begrudgers, more concerned for the safety of the OP and other road users ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Heroditas

g0g wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking to get some advice as I can't find much info on other sites. This summer I need to get from Calais to Munich in a day. It's about 1,000km and I'd be likely to be the only driver in the car (A4 2.0 tdi). Does that sound reasonably doable or completely mad? We're hoping to stay in Munich for 3 nights (giving two full days before the next leg of the trip), so the alternative is to go halfway (e.g. Frankfurt or somewhere nearby) and stop there somewhere. Just two people in the car so no hassle of kids or anything like that.
    Thanks!:)

Drove from Portland Oregon to San Fran a couple of years ago in one day - the distance is pretty much the same.
    Took us 12 hours including a couple of stops to eat and then another pit stop to stretch the legs for a few minutes.
    It's doable but you'll be exhausted by the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Shouldn't be a problem. I do such mileage and much more hours, very often.

I will say a few things though, motorway will actually be harder, I find windy country roads are much better at keeping you awake, especially if you're waiting for overtaking opportunities and the likes.

If most of it is going to be Motorway, don't dawdle and bring lots of fruit!! I don't drink coffee myself and wouldn't touch a red bull or any of that crap, it may give you a sudden high, but it will give you a low too, fruit is much better (obviously!) and I find if you nibble away at an apple it's great at keeping you awake. Little snacky things like nuts and seeds too. Just anything that will take a long time to eat and give you energy really. Apples, pears and the likes. Bring loads!! The longer and harder they are to eat, the better :D

Loud music, open windows and slapping your face don't work for me at all. Eating is the only thing that works, other than that pull over and go for a jog or something that will get the blood flowing. I wouldn't waste time pulling over to eat myself, plus most of the food you'd get at service stations will not be good for long term energy. Bring a big bowl of salad (that's big enough to sit across your lap with a flat bottom) and a fork so you can nibble away at that too :P

The dangerous bit is the last 200 km or so ...you're getting tired but you also want to get there ..this might make you want to continue even though you shouldn't really.

Also the bit between Stuttgart and Munich on the old A8 isn't the safest as it is mostly two lanes only and full of blind dips, hills and bends.
    Make sure you're not a zombie driving at that stage ...especially if traffic was bad earlier and you're running late

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Hope he has an automatic! Suppose it won't make much difference on motorway, but every little helps.

Hope he has an automatic! Suppose it won't make much difference on motorway, but every little helps.

Automatic isnt too usefull on 1000 km trip.
    Cruise control however.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

inforfun wrote: »
    Automatic isnt too usefull on 1000 km trip.
    Cruise control however.....

... Guarantees you to fall asleep :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

peasant wrote: »
    The dangerous bit is the last 200 km or so ...you're getting tired but you also want to get there ..this might make you want to continue even though you shouldn't really.

I find it can vary a lot as to when you start to feel like nodding off, sometimes the first hour or two can be bad for me but then the rest is fine. One time it was getting ridiculous, I was absolutely wrecked so I pulled over, hopped in the back of the van and started pumping away at a blow up mattress to sleep on, after all the manual pumping I couldn't sleep so I hopped back into the cab and drove the rest of it and fell into the hotel bed (check out was in another 4 hours :mad:)

The best way to prepare though is to just get plenty of sleep the night before and if you can do some exercise before you set of that will help too, oh and of course fruit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

According to the aa route planner calais to Munich is 975 km and 8 hrs 45 min, not even a hard days work. last time aa told me 8hr journey i did it in 5 even with her indoors onboard.
    I'd only stop for a quick lunch .... no bother at all Irish people don't seem to have a perspective that 1000km is feck all continent wise especially in an A4 TDI. Stopping to fill a Petrol Ferrari would more seriously affect your journey time then sitting at a constant 160 or more in germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Definity doable if you are used to doing the long distances. Just stop regularly for food and a walk to stretch the legs. I did nearly 1600k in 17 hours before. I just made sure i finished the trip while it was still daylight, which helps.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

i would not think twice of that journey.
    Just get the speed up a bit to keep alert, driving slow is tiring.
    Instead of the tunnel, think about the ferry from Dover to Dunkirkue, its cheaper and runs every 2 hrs.Book it on line for cheapest price. The ferry will give you a chance to get a bit of rest.
    I have covered up to 1600 km in a day on a motorbike, stopping every 1-1.5 hrs for petrol and a smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

cormie wrote: »
    hopped in the back of the van and started pumping away at a blow up

:eek::eek:

Advertisement