Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trusted websites for ordering books?

Options
  • 05-06-2010 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I've been tempted to order some adult learner fiction. I'm in Italy so I can't get to a bookshop with Irish books.
    My problem is that some of the sites I've been looking at have not been tested by Norton and so I'm reluctant to put card details etc.
    In particular, An Siopa Gaeilge takes me through to Paypal where it says it will help to process payments for "Mr L O'Cuinneagain".
    Who on earth is that?
    I've written to them to ask about this, but I don't know if I should trust their answer.
    What experiences have others had when paying online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Hi, Siopa Gaeilge are fine to get books from. Mr L O'Cuinneagain runs Oideas Gael where the shop is, he probably owns the shop,I think

Here is another alternative to them and the one I personally prefer
    http://www.litriocht.com/shop/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 vinnyb

In my opinion the best online shop has to be udar.ie, excellent range and I love some of the other really innovative products they offer like junior scrabble and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nbrome

Thanks so much for the replies and recommendations. In the meantime I had a speedy reply from Liam O'Cuinneagain. He is, indeed, the owner of the shop, and explained that for small businesses a name is needed for paypal accounts. He did get the point that newcomers might be perplexed and is having a word with his webmanager. So all's well that ends....
    In the meantime, I'll have a look at those others. I had in fact seen Litriocht but couldn't find books for adult learners. Is there a section? (I have to be pointed in the right direction, my Irish is not good enough to read reviews of general fiction).
    Anyone know this one:
    http://www.cic.ie/index_english.asp
    They have a nice friendly little site.
    Again, thanks alot. I need to investigate all these sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Search for these books on Litriocht

Dúnmharú Ar An Dart
    Teifeach
    Na Comharsana nua

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Litriocht.com is the business (i.e. very good) for ordering Irish-language books. I highly recommend them from experience.

Also, see the following thread on the subject of reading material/novels for adult learners recently. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63650615#post63650615

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nbrome

I read that thread with interest. I'll order something soon!
    I just have to add that the people at An Siopa Gaeilge have been more than helpful and understanding of the problem posed by their Palpal page and have made some adjustments to it.

Advertisement