Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A suitable novel for an adult learner

Options
  • 02-11-2009 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Dia Daoibh, a chairde,

I am looking for a novel of collection of short stories oir the like that would be suitable for an adult but of a basic standard - maybe primary or early secondary level - as most 'learner' books tend to be on the ann and barry naature, its material is not reallly for an adult. while my first thoughts were of the likes of ré o laighleis ecxt that would be far too advanced for the person in question & im sure that someone somewhere has weitten something aimed at adult learners

any advice would be helpful

go raibh mile maith agaibh go léir

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

http://www.emigrant.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=65054

This is a review of a book that sounds like what you're looking for.
    The author Éamonn Ó'Loingsigh teaches Irish and teaches all levels actually and he had learners in mind specifically when he wrote it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

An feidir liom an leabhar seo a cheannach in Easons ar Sráid Uí Chonaill?
    An bhfuil eolas agat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Chonaic mé é in Easons i gcathair na Gaillimhe.

Agus Litriocht.com ar ndóigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

cmb. wrote: »
    Dia Daoibh, a chairde,

I am looking for a novel of collection of short stories oir the like that would be suitable for an adult but of a basic standard - maybe primary or early secondary level - as most 'learner' books tend to be on the ann and barry naature, its material is not reallly for an adult. while my first thoughts were of the likes of ré o laighleis ecxt that would be far too advanced for the person in question & im sure that someone somewhere has weitten something aimed at adult learners

any advice would be helpful

go raibh mile maith agaibh go léir
    Hi there,
    There's a series of books for foghlaimeoirí fasta and it's excellent. It provides a glossary in the margin for any unusual or "difficult" words. The're all kind of compendiums of short stories / biographies and are very enjoyable. They're very readable and interesting for adults. I'm not sure what the actuall title of the series is but i know that the following titles are all there;
    Mná as an ngnáth (unusual / remarkable women) Áine Ní Ghlinn
    Zozimus agus a chairde (stories about famous Dublin street characters, Bang Bang, Zozimus, etc etc.) Vivian Uíbh Eachach
    Nach ait an scéal é (weird stories. Loch Ness, Marie Celeste etc etc) Gabriel Rosenstock
    Mistéirí Móra (ghost stories) - Séamus Ó Maitiú

all really enjoyable, challenging but "learnable" / undertsandable Irish. Mostly available from litríocht.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I've bought lots of stuff from these before and found the service very good

http://www.cic.ie/books.asp

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Ceilteach wrote: »
    Hi there,
    There's a series of books for foghlaimeoirí fasta and it's excellent. It provides a glossary in the margin for any unusual or "difficult" words. The're all kind of compendiums of short stories / biographies and are very enjoyable. They're very readable and interesting for adults. I'm not sure what the actuall title of the series is but i know that the following titles are all there;
    Mná as an ngnáth (unusual / remarkable women) Áine Ní Ghlinn
    Zozimus agus a chairde (stories about famous Dublin street characters, Bang Bang, Zozimus, etc etc.) Vivian Uíbh Eachach
    Nach ait an scéal é (weird stories. Loch Ness, Marie Celeste etc etc) Gabriel Rosenstock
    Mistéirí Móra (ghost stories) - Séamus Ó Maitiú

all really enjoyable, challenging but "learnable" / undertsandable Irish. Mostly available from litríocht.com

Here's a direct link to some of the books mentioned above. There is a description in English under the Irish text on the website:

An Foghlaimeoir Fásta

Dúnmharú ar an Dart

Sorcha sa Ghailearaí

Teifeach

Paloma

Cló Iar-Chonnachta, as mentioned already by uch, have a list of short novels for adult learners for sale at this link. Some of these are not available from litriocht.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Cúpla Focal by Anna Heusaff is aimed at adult learners, very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Advertisement