Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottling a batch

Options
  • 03-06-2010 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

So, I started on my second batch of iBrew's Ale a fortnight ago, after two weeks of fermentation tonight was the night for bottling.

I bought 12 1 Litre Swingtop bottles in Ikea for this project.

Here's a pictorial account of what went on.

Here's the bottles and funnels in a bath, with sterilisation mixture.

DSCN2944.jpg?t=1275602940

Here's the brew ready to go

DSCN2943.jpg?t=1275602917

Here's my beautiful assistant doing some siphoning

DSCN2945.jpg?t=1275602987

Here's the beer going into a bottle

DSCN2947.jpg?t=1275603035

And here's two pictures of the final outcome

DSCN2948.jpg?t=1275603059
    DSCN2949.jpg?t=1275603087

Oh, I forgot to take a picture of one part of this. I used about 100 grams of glucose dissolved in some boiling water, which I spooned into the bottles before filling with beer.

I have an empty Guinness crate, but the bottles are slightly too large for it, so just going to stick these in the spare room, covered to keep the light off, and open them around August time.

The last batch I made, I started drinking two weeks after fermentation, which wasn't too bad, but another lot of it was left fofr 4 months and was absolutely gorgeous, going to give this about 2 months, see how it is.
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

looks good! Nice colour to your Ale! Nice tip with the bottles in the bath! i take it you need to rince them afterwards, or do you turn them upside down and dry out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

see this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055929483

I actually used Milton in the end, I rinsed the bottles after being in the bath, there wasn't any smell of Milton off them so I thought it'd be ok.

The bathroom smells lovely and clean though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

I have heard people question whether those bottles are designed to take pressure. Looks like we are going to find out.

If you are going to keep brewing here are two a little gadgets which will make bottling easier.

bottlefiller.jpg clip.jpg

You attach the bottle filling stick to the end of your syphon tube and just stick it in the bottle you want to fill. The valve at the bottom stays open as long as you press it to the bottom of the bottle, but closes if you lift it, cutting off the flow of beer. Very handy indeed.

A syphon clip will clip onto the side of the bucket and hold the syphon tube in place while you work.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

For home brew noobs such as myself Des what's the glucose in the boiling water for exactly?

Edit - Fermentation? Maybe. Trying to do some reading up. Always had intentions of doing this but never got around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

For home brew noobs such as myself Des what's the glucose in the boiling water for exactly?

Edit - Fermentation? Maybe. Trying to do some reading up. Always had intentions of doing this but never got around to it.

It is for a small extra bit of fermentation which will produce carbon dioxide. As the bottles are sealed the carbon dioxide will be pressurised and hence carbonate the beer. So that's why you get the nice bubbles in your beer. During the initial fermentation the carbon dioxide was released trough the bubbler so it didn't make the beer fizzy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

I have heard people question whether those bottles are designed to take pressure. Looks like we are going to find out.

Interested to find out. Please let us know.

Made my first brew tonight....to think that man is capable of such great things...

Rookie question: If doing a secondary fermentation is it ok to pour straight out of the bin into a big plastic container & then back (leaving the sediment at the bottom behind)? Or should it all be done through a syphon/tap?

Rookie question: If doing a secondary fermentation is it ok to pour straight out of the bin into a big plastic container & then back (leaving the sediment at the bottom behind)? Or should it all be done through a syphon/tap?

You want to pour to secondary with the least amount of oxidation, if your pour from the bucket you'll probably end up creating a huge "head" of bubbles. This can lead to off flavours. Also it's very difficult to decant off the beer from the sediment, the smallest disturbance can cause the sediment to go back into suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Also it's very difficult to decant off the beer from the sediment, the smallest disturbance can cause the sediment to go back into suspension.
    It's easy enough if you use a syphon.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's easy enough if you use a syphon.

I believe that was my point.

I believe that was my point.
    Should've really made your point more clear so

• Advertisement

I shall be clearer in future [HOMEBREW NERD JOKE] I forgot to add the Irish Moss 15 mins before the end of my post [/HOMEBREW NERD JOKE]

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I used to have a second bucket with a tap at the bottom. This allowed me to carefully syphon off the sediment and then add all my additional priming sugar in one go, this equally distributed it and then I could fill my bottles via the tap.

If doing 330ml bottles you could fill up 2L PET bottles and do a similar method.

Also your fermenter is quite high relative to the bottles being filled, this will cause a greater flow rate as the head of pressure is higher. If they are almost level you do not have to even hold your thumb on the end to stop the flow, just raise it up, as long as you have a loop going below the level of the beer your syphon will still work, just lower it again to begin again.

I would advise all beginners to syphon outside, it can get VERY messy! And do a practise run with tap water first, into the bottles you plan to use. People can be stuck with a thumb on the tube stretching for the next bottles, then have to release the syphon and it backwashes into the beer disturbing the sediment etc. Best have 2 people on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

If you are going to keep brewing here are two a little gadgets which will make bottling easier.

bottlefiller.jpg clip.jpg

You attach the bottle filling stick to the end of your syphon tube and just stick it in the bottle you want to fill. The valve at the bottom stays open as long as you press it to the bottom of the bottle, but closes if you lift it, cutting off the flow of beer. Very handy indeed.

A syphon clip will clip onto the side of the bucket and hold the syphon tube in place while you work.

where is the nest place to get one of these?

eoinf wrote: »
    where is the nest place to get one of these?

The Homebrew Company, online or they have a bricks and mortar store in Mountmellick, Co. Laois.

Syphon Clip

Bottling wand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Another handy gadget is an autosiphon. No sucking required. You just pump a few times and the flow starts.

The bottling wand is a must have. To be honest Des, using the funnel method you are splashing the beer and subjecting it to oxygen. This is not something you want.
    Also not only is the bottling wand handy but when the beer reaches the top and you pull it out you are left with exactly the right head space in the bottle.

You can get them at HBC as suggested but also bestbrew and homebrewwest or any of the other Irish or indeed international suppliers.

Try keep those clear bottles away from light too. Ideally you want the brown swingtops.

Saruman wrote: »
    The bottling wand is a must have. To be honest Des, using the funnel method you are splashing the beer and subjecting it to oxygen. This is not something you want.
    Aye, but I was unemployed, and trying to keep costs down and build up my equipment over time. :)
    Try keep those clear bottles away from light too. Ideally you want the brown swingtops.

Yep, the clear bottles have been covered since bottling.

I only found out about the brown ones after I'd bought and bottled with the clear Ikea ones.

Well Des I suggest you replace them with brown swingtops asap. And the best way to do that? Get beer that comes in them.

Drinking all that beer is a touch job but someone has to do it :D

No seriously the clear ones will be fine once you keep them out of the light.

I got some brown swingtops in Alpack, going back for more when I get paid. ;)

I'll be opening the beer in the OP this weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Des wrote: »
    I'll be opening the beer in the OP this weekend.

Invite?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Let us know how you get on Des.

I've an iBrew kit, (Larger,) sitting unused.
    Whilst the beer was quite palatable, I found the 5L PET bottles and Tapadraft gas system a pain in the hole.
    Gas ran out far too quick and the getting daggers from the misses everytime she went to put something in the fridge with massive bottles taking up space.

Would much prefer to bottle them individually.

How much glucose per 500ML did you use, and how carbonated were they upon drinking?

Edit - Have now seen the other iBrew thread, :)

• Advertisement

I bottled this in early June, so fermented it early/mid May

Cracked it open tonight. Nice "pop" on opening, tasty beer.

DSCN3247.jpg?t=1281832257

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

nice and clear...looks good. how is the taste ? i think they are a muntons ale kit

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Well done Des.

That looks damn tasty!!!! :p

Can I ask the group....which is better for brewing a stout:

Clear swing top.

Or brown bottles that you cap yourself?

Thanks in advance Folks,

Brian

Swingtops are always handier to use but brown bottles are always preferable to clear bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

Sorry for taking this off subject. I too am new to home brewing and use a keg instead of bottles. A pressure 40 litter keg costs between €50 to €60 depending on where you shop online. Looking at the Alpack price for 80 500mm swing top bottles costs €92 plus VAT = €111.32.

This is a huge cost difference, can somebody tell me the advantage of using individual bottles over a keg? Aside from the fact that if you get a contamination in a keg the whole lot is lost.

Please note I’m not pro or anti bottle v keg. I just want to get the best value for my money.

What sort of keg are you using? A plastic King Keg?

There is no advantage over bottling other than it makes it easier to store and give to friends.

I personally keg and would not go back to bottling. If I want to give someone a bottle I pour it from the keg and it is grand as long as it is consumed within a few days as after that it loses carbonation. A proper keg setup is more expensive than bottling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

What sort of keg are you using? A plastic King Keg?

A pressurised Youngs keg. I think my next purchase will be a King Keg....but times are hard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I have to agree that the siphon valve thing for bottling is brilliant. Stopped us from making even more of a mess than usual.

LK_Dave wrote: »
    A pressurised Youngs keg. I think my next purchase will be a King Keg....but times are hard!!

Ah ok, I use a corny system in a kegerator that takes two kegs. When you factor in the price of keg, disconnects, beerline, gas bottle, gas regulator and then the kegerator equipment it adds up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

LK_Dave wrote: »
    A pressure 40 litter keg costs between €50 to €60 depending on where you shop online. Looking at the Alpack price for 80 500mm swing top bottles costs €92 plus VAT = €111.32.
    If you want value for money then I would not be buying swing tops. I presume your keg is plastic so would you be totally against plastic bottles? You could use PET bottles for fizzy water (still water bottles usually are not suitable) only problem is they would be too transparent (the light effecting the beer).

I used to use reusable crown lids, they were plastic and they had a safety system so they would blow off if over pressurised, there was a bubble thing on them which rose up first to you could tell in advance if they were overdone. €92 for 80 empty bottles is madness! 6x500ml brown perlenbacher bottles are about €6.35 in lidl, and its a decent enough beer. 80 of them would be €85. The perlenbachers are twist offs though, so the lid might not be suitable, but I am sure there are other cheap beers in brown bottles.

You do not need to buy gas either, so the cost is a once off
    There is no advantage over bottling other than it makes it easier to store and give to friends.
    And the easier storing also means far easier to refrigerate.

Advertisement