Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1901 census online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

my great great grandparents had lodgers....how do you have lodgers in a one bedroom tenement block

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Timepiece

It was fairly/somewhat normal for people to not really keep track of age and birthdays in the same way we do now. There was a thread in the genealogy forum about it recently. The person mentioned above wasn't trying to scam a pension because you didn't qualify until you were 70.

I don't believe that this was because they could not keep track of their ages. I have found both sides of the family have inflated the ages of the parents. The women by 2 years and the men by 4 and six years. All the children's ages (ten on one side of the family) are correct and tally with the 1901 census plus 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DocBrowne

I'm noticing this as well, my great-grandfather managed to age 20 years between 1901 and 1911 - I know times were tough, but even so... I have also noticed discrepancies between spellings of the surnames between the two, in 1901 we were Keogh, then in 1911 Kehoe, and we're Keogh now again - the same man filled in and signed the forms in 1901 and 1911. Similarly other relations are down as Colman, but we've always thought it was Coleman, that's how all my cousins spell their name. Stuff like that must drive you nuts if you're a professional researcher!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

DocBrowne wrote: »
    I'm noticing this as well, my great-grandfather managed to age 20 years between 1901 and 1911 - I know times were tough, but even so... I have also noticed discrepancies between spellings of the surnames between the two, in 1901 we were Keogh, then in 1911 Kehoe, and we're Keogh now again - the same man filled in and signed the forms in 1901 and 1911. Similarly other relations are down as Colman, but we've always thought it was Coleman, that's how all my cousins spell their name. Stuff like that must drive you nuts if you're a professional researcher!

Well you could always go back and ask them to explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Timepiece wrote: »
    I don't believe that this was because they could not keep track of their ages. I have found both sides of the family have inflated the ages of the parents. The women by 2 years and the men by 4 and six years. All the children's ages (ten on one side of the family) are correct and tally with the 1901 census plus 10 years.

What's your explanation so? I know my parents, aunts and uncles, etc often forget how old I am or their own kids or whatever. If people didn't celebrate birthdays, didn't have birth certs, didn't have driver licenses or any reason to keep track of their age then they could easily forget over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

DocBrowne wrote: »

Oh yeah I noticed the spelling mistakes too. My maternal grandparents surname changes between the two cencus'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Has any one noticed inconsistencies in the reported ages of Parents between the 1901 and 1911 census. I have found that reported ages have been increased by as much as six years beyond that you would expect..

40 in 1901 and 56 in 1911..

My first guess was some attempt to secure a pension a few years earlier, but I don't think the old age pension was paid until some years later.. Any ideas?
    :confused:

i noticed this too and was wondering what was up. the parents ages were not consistent but the childrens were :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

What's your explanation so? I know my parents, aunts and uncles, etc often forget how old I am or their own kids or whatever. If people didn't celebrate birthdays, didn't have birth certs, didn't have driver licenses or any reason to keep track of their age then they could easily forget over the years.

Surely they could remember the year they were born?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If their parents weren't into numeracy, perhaps they couldn't pass on the correct information. Perhaps some of them didn't even know that it was 1901 until the census guy told them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Me Me

Does anyone know why a great grandparent wouldn't come up, although they were born in the country, thanks:)

• Advertisement

Why do you remember being born?

Me Me wrote: »
    Does anyone know why a great grandparent wouldn't come up, although they were born in the country, thanks:)

Moved location, wasn't in the house night of the census, misspelled name on census, name recorded incorrectly, etc, etc. dozens of reasons out there. Boards has a genealogy forum if people want to ask other users who are more experienced with this stuff questions; http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1288

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I can't remember the year I got my dog without referencing it to other things that happened that year. Took me a minute in my head there to work it out.

If it was my child on the other hand, I'd know straight off the top of my head. And if they were older than 2, they'd probably be able to tell you their age themselves.

It's because we reinforce it so often. Other people ask what age your child is. The kids get cards and presents and a fuss made over their birthday. Their age is associated with their level in school, the football team they play in and a million different other points of reference. They're constantly reminded of it, both parents and children.

But back in the day half those references points simply didn't exist. Especially if you weren't well off.

Nobody cared if it was your birthday.
    You went working when you were big enough.
    You got served alcohol if you had facial hair.
    You only went to school until you could read and write if even that.

It quite simply wasn't considered important to many people. So they simply stopped remembering their own age. Much like me forgetting my dog's age.

There's always the exception though. Tatters Cullen's owners knew damn well how old he was. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Has any one noticed inconsistencies in the reported ages of Parents between the 1901 and 1911 census. I have found that reported ages have been increased by as much as six years beyond that you would expect..

40 in 1901 and 56 in 1911..

My first guess was some attempt to secure a pension a few years earlier, but I don't think the old age pension was paid until some years later.. Any ideas?
    :confused:
    I asked my grandfather in 1995, just before he died what age he was, he told me he didn't know, but guessed about 75. Apparently, especially down here, not all births were registered, so many had no idea of the year, let alone the date of their birth. I assume that the ages given in the 1901 and 1911 census' were guesstimates. I presume they did not record the information given in the census 10 years before, so guessed in many cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Crosáidí wrote: »
    just found mine they had the name spelt wrong :)

Maybe your spelling it wrong, everyones changed over time. Mines changed 3 times in 200 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

No, I don't have an Irish name, My name is Spanish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

rebel10 wrote: »
    I asked my grandfather in 1995, just before he died what age he was, he told me he didn't know, but guessed about 75. Apparently, especially down here, not all births were registered.....

I know someone who has a real birthday and an official birthday.

Seemingly when she was born her Father was supposed to have the birth registered within 28 days but decided he couldnt be arsed on account on the jourrney from their village to the nearest city with a registration office taking the best part of a day. So it was left until the next time he happened to be travelling that direction anyway -five months later.

Crosáidí wrote: »
    No, I don't have an Irish name, My name is Spanish

I didn't say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Well it didn't change in anyways
    you can view the writing in pdf format

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Pension was brought in in 1908.

I'm sure this explains things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Age_Pensions_Act_1908

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Mike 1972 wrote: »

Seemingly when she was born her Father was supposed to have the birth registered within 28 days but decided he couldnt be arsed on account on the jourrney from their village to the nearest city with a registration office taking the best part of a day. So it was left until the next time he happened to be travelling that direction anyway -five months later.

Same with my Dad.

He is officially one month younger than he really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭skwinty

This site is great, just found my great-grandfather aged 21 with my great-great-grandparents too. its crazy. Must ask my parents do they know anything more about them.
    No sign of my grandparents on it, they werent even born yet. I wonder if they're (the census people) are considering putting up census forms from other (more recent) years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

skwinty wrote: »
    This site is great, just found my great-grandfather aged 21 with my great-great-grandparents too. its crazy. Must ask my parents do they know anything more about them.
    No sign of my grandparents on it, they werent even born yet. I wonder if they're (the census people) are considering putting up census forms from other (more recent) years.

The next census was in 1926 and they aren't going to make that public til 2025 i think. I think it's for confidentiality reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Just found my Great-Great Granddad and his wife 7 children. :)
    They all could read/write too! Great Granddad was 22 in 1911.

My Granddad, who's 87, will get a kick outta this :)

Thanks OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

The next census was in 1926 and they aren't going to make that public til 2025 i think. I think it's for confidentiality reasons.

AFAIK a census isn't made available to the public until everyone on it is deceased

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Mike 1972 wrote: »

Queen Elizabeth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DocBrowne

Census records aren't released until 100 years after the date, so we'll have to hang on until 2026 for the next parts of our own puzzles. It's just a crying shame that the records for the census's (censii?!) held pre-1901 were destroyed for various reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I think it's an excellent facility. I found my great great grandmother from Roscommon on it and she was 70 years of age in 1901 so she was born in 1831 before the famine and it said she was widowed with 4 children. I even saw her own signiture on the cenus document and it said she could speak English and Irish and could read/write. Her name was Honoria, wouldn't see that name much nowadays, that it was foreign at first until I found out that it wasn't that uncommon in Ireland in those times. I know that back in those time it was common for the wife to marry younger than the husband so my great great grandfather could have been born as early as 1810, 200 years ago. It's really fascinating stuff. Imagine if they knew that we would be looking at those documents over a hundred years on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

One funny thing about the 1911 cenus record for great grandparents on my mother's side is it said that one of their children was a 'idiot'. Wouldn't be p.c. nowadays.

• Advertisement

Can you pay to get into that?

Advertisement