Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SpaceX Falcon 9 first launch

Options
  • 03-06-2010 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi guys

Seems like we're finally there. SpaceX (www.spacex.com) plans to launch their largest rocket, the falcon 9 for the first time this Friday.

Spaceflightnow has a text update on the status: http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/001/status.html

and SpaceX said they will have the launch live on their website.

Launch window is 15:00 to 19:00 GMT.

If this launch is successful it may show that NASA is on the right track with their commerical gambles.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ceauke wrote: »
    Hi guys

Seems like we're finally there. SpaceX (www.spacex.com) plans to launch their largest rocket, the falcon 9 for the first time this Friday.

Spaceflightnow has a text update on the status: http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/001/status.html

and SpaceX said they will have the launch live on their website.

Launch window is 15:00 to 19:00 GMT.

If this launch is successful it may show that NASA is on the right track with their commerical gambles.
    Looking forward to this launch. Hope all goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Hi ceauke and thank You for the post!:)

Since their is no choice left but for some sort of private sector craft to make the US return to manned missions,and like it or not that is just something We will have to accept.I hope this test will go well.

SpaceX owner has refused to promise anything in terms of timeline for a fully ready Launch Spaecraft.

He has also emphasised Safety as his main concern.

He amongst the others vying for 'the new direction' Is the one i would trust the most!

after a quick check and despite the long launch window.
    I see Launch is scheduled for 4PM {Irish time}
    and Spaceflight now intend to start their coverage at 3PM{IST}
    {Me must get some sleep now,It has been a long trek back from Baikonour since the recovery crew left me behind.:o}21falcon9_400267.jpgspacer.gif
    [FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=+2]Falcon 9 demo launch will test more than a new rocket[/SIZE][/FONT]
    spacer.gif
    Friday's launch of the first Falcon 9 rocket will not only be a shakedown of a brand new booster, it will test the fortitude of the space community at the dawn of an uncertain new chapter in human spaceflight. Liftoff from Cape Canaveral is scheduled for 11 a.m. EDT (1500 GMT) Friday. Our live webcast with Miles O'Brien, David Waters and astronaut Leroy Chiao begins one hour before launch.

SpaceX have a Countdown clock up finally now. They seem to be aiming for a 4.20 PM Launch now.They are giving very little away!

It is a bit of a disappointment how Weather dependant this vechicle is considering Apollo and Soyuz were designed to launch in almost all Weathers over forty Years ago!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ynotdu wrote: »
    SpaceX have a Countdown clock up finally now. They seem to be aiming for a 4.20 PM Launch now.They are giving very little away!

It is a bit of a disappointment how Weather dependant this vechicle is considering Apollo and Soyuz were designed to launch in almost all Weathers over forty Years ago!
    Coverage on spaceflightnow is crap. Signal is breaking up all the time:mad:
    Seems fin on the spacex site:)

Dont forget Apollo 12 had some bad experience with weather in Nov 69:eek:

• Advertisement

Beeker wrote: »
    Coverage on spaceflightnow is crap. Signal is breaking up all the time:mad:
    Seems fin on the spacex site:)

Dont forget Apollo 12 had some bad experience with weather in Nov 69:eek:

Lightning never strikes twice beaky;):D

Yes both sites are buffering all the time for me as well:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Good coverage here. Countdown frozen at 15mins before launch but she is all gassed up.

http://www.spacex.com/webcast.php

Coverage just started here aswell.

http://www.spacevidcast.com/

All a Mystry as to why went into a hold at the T-!5 mark and is not saying why or how long for:(

Oh for the openess of NASA, Who even tell ya if ya have a screw loose!

Update to that it seems everything is green for GO except for a weak signal to the Range safety officer who's job is to send a signal to explode falcon if it veered off course

ynotdu wrote: »
    All a Mystry as to why went into a hold at the T-!5 mark and is not saying why or how long for:(

Oh for the openess of NASA, Who even tell ya if ya have a screw loose!

Update to that it seems everything is green for GO except for a weak signal to the Range safety officer who's job is to send a signal to explode falcon if it veered off course
    NASA....NASA.....NASA.....Yeah, yeah, yeah...always the best for coverage:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Lol. The range went red just as they were getting ready to resume the countdown.:pac:

Edit: It's a boat in the exclusion zone keeping the range red!

lord lucan wrote: »
    Lol. The range went red just as they were getting ready to resume the countdown.:pac:

Edit: It's a boat in the exclusion zone keeping the range red!

Here's a countdown picture guaranteed to confuse anybody.

What will We do with that drunken Sailor:confused:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21869.0;attach=233917;image

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Countdown underway again.

Fingers crossed:)

I think the coverage here on boards is more interesting than what Spaceflightnow are doing!:pac:

I think the coverage here on boards is more interesting than what Spaceflightnow are doing!:pac:
    Not for the first time:D

Go for launch!

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21869.0;attach=235442;image

Range is clear and go!

Arrrghhhh T -1 and abort.

Dammit, I have to go out :mad:

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Abort.....oh dear!

aborted at T-8 secs:(

Very bad at keeping the viewing public up to date on whats happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

The spaceflightnow feed is brutal in every way.

Beeker wrote: »
    Very bad at keeping the viewing public up to date on whats happening!

especially as they have already received $1.5 BILLION of the famous "MY tax dollars" with a promise of that again if they make progress.

Still a chance for them to launch today,but i doubt it.

Something to be said for 10 minute launch windows.

If no further updates it has been said they have the same window and launch times tomorrow.

I was waiting for it to fall over!:pac:

:D Or head off sideways somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Seeing 1.51pm on twitter, also seeing scrubbed till tomorrow.

Which to fall over now LL? The drunken sailor or the Falcon:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No more launch, but they're going for lunch now.

Advertisement