Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyhass Lakes

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ballyhass Lakes

SeaFields wrote: »
    What do you get for €20? Is it C+R? Can you keep a fish? I thought a few years back that a C+R ticket was €15, I'm not sure?

Please PM BallyHass directly if you have specific pricing queries

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

I may be thick but indulge me. You have no natural fatalities? This seems remarkable or am I too take it that you mean old age or disease rather than miss handling? If so this appears remarkable.
    It would seem that you only replace taken fish?
    I was led to believe by various fish farmers and fishery owners that Brownies lived for ages (unless caught) and Rainbows only past one or two spawnings.
    Perhaps Ireland is unique and contrary to the findings of the vast majority of UK fisheries, could be something to do with cooler water conditions here as water can get very warm and de oxygenated in England.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

To Ballyhass Lakes:
    Is €20 the fee for each day of the week or is cheaper during the week?
    What type of fishing is allowed on the lake? Is spinning allowed?
    Is it catch and release or are you allowed to take what you catch?
    Final question...can you rent a rod and what price?

Cheers.

To Ballyhass Lakes:
    Is €20 the fee for each day of the week or is cheaper during the week?
    What type of fishing is allowed on the lake? Is spinning allowed?
    Is it catch and release or are you allowed to take what you catch?
    Final question...can you rent a rod and what price?

Cheers.

Please PM BallyHass directly if you have specific pricing queries

Thanks for the reply. I went there recently. It's a nice set up, nice area around there. Toilets, shower etc. However, the fishing was very disappointing, not even a bite. We went spinning on the small lake, used spinners, worms and a minnow, but no luck. Small lake wouldn't cater for much more than 10 or 12 people at a time. The big lake looked nice but couldn't fish there as we didn't have fly equipment. Others fishing there that day had no luck either. Don't know if it was just the day in it (or time of day) or whether the lake is not stocked enough. Some people told us the fish were fed pellets there so maybe they just weren't hungry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Feeding pellets, that would be a first for Ballyhass and something I wouldn't believe myself.

I have fished Ballyhass for years and whenever I am visiting the folks in Limerick I try to get down for a 1/2 day catch and release. I have never blanked there, and always caught fish...

Fishing is not just a case of grabbing a fly rod, putting on a fly and pulling it in...there's a little more to it than that and maybe if you asked the lads at Ballyhass, I am sure they would be more than happy to provide you with what is the correct setup to use on the day.

Ballyhass can be challenging and provide some great sport.

Did you not look for advice on what tactics would work on the day??

Have a look at these articles, might give you some tips..

http://www.ballyhasslakes.ie/reviews.asp

http://www.ballyhasslakes.ie/Trout%20Fisherman%20Article%20Feb%2009.pdf

Ya we did ask but we got the impression that the fish were just not biting or not there. I read back through some of these posts. I think 2 tier pricing could be an option, especially when the fishing is poor. We only stayed for 2 hrs and at €20 it was expensive enough. Then again if you are only going to go fishing 3/4 times in the year, it may be worth it. If you had to buy a salmon licence plus a permit you could be talking about paying €50 for a day's fishing on a river like the Feale. Easy to see why people would take the risk. I wouldn't pay that kind of money when you have fellas netting the fish at the mouth of the river. Anyway getting back on topic, Ballyhass would be good if you could actually catch a fish or two. If you are going to pay the €20 you might as well make a day of it and bring a picnic basket with you and try out both lakes. I'd say during the week would be best, bit quieter.

Just on a side note what do the fish eat during the cold winter months when fly life must be very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Morning Lads,

This thread is falling very close to commercial promotion for BallyHass, which is against Boards rules, so can I ask that you PM Ballyhass Lakes directly with any queries rather than post here.

I'm sure if Ballyhass wish to advertise or run a paid forum, boards would be only to happy to facilitate ;)

I've no problem with discussing the fishing on Ballyhass, but not pricing and offers please

thanks

Just on a side note what do the fish eat during the cold winter months when fly life must be very low.

Well I will have to check with Tom again on this but alot of life falls into the lake from the far side because of the steep banks. I have also dove on the lake on numerous occasions and know that there is an awful lot of vegitation on the bottom. There is also alot of very tiny trout in the lake, so the bigger stock talk advantage of this.

And also from the last post, the fish are never pellet fed.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. I went there recently. It's a nice set up, nice area around there. Toilets, shower etc. However, the fishing was very disappointing, not even a bite. We went spinning on the small lake, used spinners, worms and a minnow, but no luck. Small lake wouldn't cater for much more than 10 or 12 people at a time. The big lake looked nice but couldn't fish there as we didn't have fly equipment. Others fishing there that day had no luck either. Don't know if it was just the day in it (or time of day) or whether the lake is not stocked enough. Some people told us the fish were fed pellets there so maybe they just weren't hungry.

Sorry you had that experience. Maybe it was just the day that was in it. I know I was there on sunday, and it was pretty busy on the small lake and only one father and son went home without a catch. I was watching it closely. Alot of other youngsters were catching fish for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭alanrebelsw

Anytime i fished there i caught fish..a lot of work sometimes but normally if your doing the right things you will catch some awesome fish..some fishermen think they only have to put a fly on the water and wait for the action

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TrimTOODLE

I was there about a week ago, got 6 rainbows, all around the 2lb mark,* best fighting fish iv'e ever experienced on a fishery* . 3 on self tied wet flies.. ( spider with pearly head, peacock herl buzzer) and 3 on dry flies ( Grey wolf and klinkhammer) Ill be visiting again soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 t2009

Too many bait anglers,also kayaks to put up with.It,s not a real fishery anymore.They'll do anything down there now for money,outdoor pursuits you name it, they'll try it.I rmember when it first opened as a fishery,no piers shelters or anything but it was a great spot then.Keep your money try a proper fishing only venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Bait Anglers are only on the 2.5 acre lake..

The main lake which is 12 acres is fly only....and that's where you should be if you want to fly fish..

Ballyhass is a top fishery, and when I visit the folks in Limerick, I try to get a boat (which I get for free) and fish for a few hours, I've never blanked in Ballyhass, in fact I've had some good quality fishing...

When I did start to fish Ballyhass many years ago, I was fishing from the banks only, which can be tough but I still had fish to the net, as my confidence improved, I now head out on a boat and go in search of fish at different depths using different tactics..

What I would like to know is have you passed on your feedback to the fishery manager??

Fishing is more than just casting a fly and hoping for the best.. :eek:

A free boat ?? I wonder why you get that when everybody else has to pay..hmm strange that.Anyway i've fished all over ireland most of Europe and have been to alaska.Not bragging now, but i'd say i know about fly angling' and not just for stockies!If you want to experience some top trout fisheries just pop over to england for a few days,you'll see ballyhass in a different light.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

TrimTOODLE wrote: »
    I was there about a week ago, got 6 rainbows, all around the 2lb mark,* best fighting fish iv'e ever experienced on a fishery* . !
    I've fished Ballyhass 3 times in the last 2 weeks just on the small lake,my first time I got 22 :eek: and the next 2 times 6 and 5.Definitely agree with this quote.I think the first visit was a fluke but there is definitely quality fish and plenty of them.Staff are helpful and facilities are good and it is a lovely spot.On the negative side it is pricey, especially if you are only going over for a couple of hours in the evening and I too don't like leaving without a fish or two.
    Also I found the big lake almost impossible to fly fish from the bank, very few spots and most of those are blocked behind in some shape or form and 95% inaccessible and a boat is another tenner,so I just went back to the small lake.Just a suggestion on each of my 3 visits I ended up giving basic tips and hints to young fella's and beginners who were struggling to catch fish and all succeeded :D might someone not stroll down every so often and give beginners some pointers,surely someone who catches and takes home a nice trout will be more likely to return and maybe become a regular customer rather than someone who spent 20 quid and eight hours and went home empty handed.And again please give an evening only discount :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 trout fisherman 918

i fish at ballyhass alot and i catch plenty of fish there i had a 12lber about 6weeks back

Nice trout that well done on landing it.But honestly how many more fish of that size are in there????? Not that many in my humble opinion.Still, i'm sure when people hear about your trout it'll send em scurrying off to spend their hard earned cash in Ballyhass.People, people, people, when will yee wake up.I have nothing against ballyhass or its owners but lets call a spade a spade.This is an overpriced, noisy,way way way overrated fishery that is mainly unfishable from the bank (main lake) bar a few spots and i mean a few.On top of that there are the kayaks!! Yes i said kayaks with their occupants splashing all over the shop.And to top it all off the LAST time i fished there a guy appeared behind ny back after absailing down the rock face behind me,another little money spinner they have going at the FISHERY.Look i could go on and on and at the end af the day it's just my opinion but if you want quality fishing at a reasonable price you won't get it here.Anyway well done on that fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

I have fished there two or three weeks ago and had brilliant success.Around 8 monsters from the upper lake but I had no scales to weigh them:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement