Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum and its Mods

Options
  • 01-06-2010 5:50am
    #1
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭


    First off congrats to Frisbee (Laura)

    Welcome Arsenal mod and bringing a woman back is a welcome addition to the soccer forum.

    Now....

    We have a problem here in the forum. As we know Mods are normal users but put mod hats on when needed. In soccer as we know things can become heated, retarded and stupid quickly. When someone goes to far about Liverpool a Barca mod can step in. If things become heated a United mod can come in use big bad black text and split the thread or a Pool mod can say thats enough, get out and put a end to shenanigans.

    Same can happen for United since they are going down the road of Liverpool and I am sure Pool mods will be equally accommodating of people who want to talk about their impending downswing.

    Anyway point is we have

    Iago - United
    Thanx 4 The Fish - Liverpool
    Dub13 - Liverpool
    Xavi6 - Man City
    eZe^ - Barca
    Frisbee - Arsenal

    So, we represent the ''big teams''. Wow, nice one.

    It is well known that Chelsea have been consistently one of the best for the last 7 years. Why don't Chelsea have a mod? Why do Liverpool have two? Spurs should have one. Now we all know Spurs had one in therecklessone as they prob saw Spurs being a top 4 side coming but unfortunately she left ( Prob best mod forum has seen too). We saw LuckyLloyd as a mod who also supported Liverpool. He was then sent packing. Why? Well I know the real reason. Pool have 3 mods, last in first out. Create a ruckuss and send him on his way, he prob wasn't in on it but thats how it went down I reckon.

    What do you do? Fill that gap with a Arsenal mod. When Spurs have made it? You fill that gap with one of their rivals. Ah, but I know why... To keep the Spurs forum open and ticking over and keep them out of the soccer forum, same reason TRO packed his bags. I am onto you.

    You have a United mod, Arsenal mod, Liverpool mod and Barca mod. That covers winner pickers and fans/ old winner pickers and fans/ young immigrants in London and fans/ Europeans respectively.

    Chelsea are the best right now, why can't Chelsea have a mod. When debates go back the way of others from Chelsea fans mods will just side with the opposition and shut up fans of the double winners.

    I call on the Admins to name a Chelsea mod and a best of the rest mod.

    Thank you for your time people of boards.

    PS,

    Laura ( Frisbee ) didn't bring this on, it is nothing to do with her. Congrats and I wish you the best. You go girl.
    Post edited by Shield on


«13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6


    There's so much fail in that post that I don't even know where to begin.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD


    Xavi6 wrote: »
    There's so much fail in that post that I don't even know where to begin.
    Oh, lets question the merits of the post and start a bandwagon post. Well played, and you mod the place...

    See people?


    PS I know you didnt even read it properly, just jumped in as 1st post to boost your thanks, don't worry the droolers will help you.

    <3 you Xavi.


  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6


    It's disappointing that you've become so dillusional since your time away from the forum, but I'll humour you.

    1. Mods aren't picked based on who they support.

    2. Lloyd's demodding had nothing to do with who he supported. A tiny bit of research on your part would have told you that.

    3. My response was no worse than your latest boring attempt at soapboxing.

    In summary, the opposite of everything you posted is true.

    P.S. Can't wait til 'Laura' sees your seal of approval.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD


    Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's disappointing that you've become so dillusional since your time away from the forum, but I'll humour you.

    1. Mods aren't picked based on who they support.

    2. Lloyd's demodding had nothing to do with who he supported. A tiny bit of research on your part would have told you that.

    3. My response was no worse than your latest boring attempt at soapboxing.

    In summary, the opposite of everything you posted is true.

    P.S. Can't wait til 'Laura' sees your seal of approval.

    Look Xavi I read the forum daily and it is just an observation. While you think I am pisstaking when you step back and take a look you can see having mods of certain teams does effect certain debates.

    I know mods are not picked because of who they support. It has ended up this way and has us in a pickle.

    Lloyds de modding is one for the CT forum I think, we will never get to the bottom of it. It is one of those things where common sense wasn't involved so it will always be questioned. Like 9/11, ya know?

    Your response was decent tbf, alot bettr than your BJ jokes in SF. I reckon if you went out the night before that posting to a place like coppers you wouldn't have made them.

    Opposite of everything isn't true. Sure I posted a bit of crap but I have brought up a serious-ish issue here imo that should be talked out.


  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6


    Is it a serious issue? Why do you feel a Chelsea mod is so necessary? Are the current mods not fair when handling issues with the club?

    If your criteria is that they are a top club then what happens if Blackpool pull an Ipswich and get into Europe at the first go? Do we go recruiting?

    Do I get demodded if City get relegated?

    We can't have ten or twelve mods on board so someone is going to have to make room for these new guys.

    And the final point - if there was a Chelsea fan suitable do you not think we would have explored that possibility already?

    Btw, I'd love a night in Coppers. Location doesn't permit it unforunately.


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD


    Is it a serious issue? Why do you feel a Chelsea mod is so necessary? Are the current mods not fair when handling issues with the club?
    Current mods are great until it comes to United -v- Pool fan squabbles and any randomer ( which equals every fan) -v- there club.
    If your criteria is that they are a top club then what happens if Blackpool pull an Ipswich and get into Europe at the first go? Do we go recruiting?
    No, dont worry.

    Ipswich were a one hit wonder. If Reading took a intertoto spot 3 yeas back and signed a player or two they'd have a mod. Thats the thing you gotta look out for.

    You will always be there now, City have a big future.
    Do I get demodded if City get relegated?
    Read above
    We can't have ten or twelve mods on board so someone is going to have to make room for these new guys.

    Look at the numbers, Chelsea are growing. If you wana go by numbers then the top have a mod....Chelsea dont.
    And the final point - if there was a Chelsea fan suitable do you not think we would have explored that possibility already?
    lol just ask me already!

    Thee is one. Unfortunately I think he is away from boards atm.
    Btw, I'd love a night in Coppers. Location doesn't permit it unforunately.
    Feck off! You are in OZ, I have seen Home and Away :p


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz


    I have to agree with CHD here on this...

    Maybe I'm being naive and unfair in my rush to judgement on the mods in the Soccer Forum (something akin to the Minister for Health; a tough and utterly thankless job by my reckoning!), but the favouritism shown by the mods towards various posters by the affiliation to their particular team can be painfully transparent at times.

    While I would certainly not argue for a mod 'per-team', in such a divisive and heated forum, it would be appropriate that there not be more than one mod for each time (no more than one Arsenal supporting mod, no more than one Man Utd supporting mod, etc.) and that there be a nice mix of mods supporting various teams.

    But as Xavi6 has said, there cannot be a huge number of mods, not by any means as it is totally impractical. But surely there should be a mod for each of the so-called 'Big 4' (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and United) as these are by far the best supported teams in the forum. Then possibly one each for Spurs and City (Xavi6 is there already!) and then one or two for LOI and so on.

    It would mean that issues such as infractions, bans, etc. would be dealt with in a much fairer manner and would also mean that the boardsies who frequent the Soccer Forum would have more of a voice should they befall bans, infractions, etc.

    Well done on raising a very good point, CHD.:)


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne


    CHD wrote: »
    I call on the Admins to name a Chelsea mod and a best of the rest mod

    Okay......

    So in the Unix forum, we make sure and have mods who are users of Ubuntu, Fedora and Solaris?

    And in the Motors forum we make sure we have mods who drive Opel, Toyota and Skoda?

    And in the Beer/Wine/Spirits forum we take a whiskey drinker, we take a vodka drinker, we take a lager drinker, we take a cider drinker.

    And so on.....

    We pick moderators based on their interest on the subject matter, the type of person they are and how much they contribute to a forum.

    Picking a moderator purely because he (or she) follows Chelsea is farcical at best, dangerous precedent at worst.

    Unless the mods feel strongly about this and it would be good for the forum I can't see it ever happening.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz


    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Okay......

    So in the Unix forum, we make sure and have mods who are users of Ubuntu, Fedora and Solaris?

    And in the Motors forum we make sure we have mods who drive Opel, Toyota and Skoda?

    And in the Beer/Wine/Spirits forum we take a whiskey drinker, we take a vodka drinker, we take a lager drinker, we take a cider drinker.

    And so on.....

    We pick moderators based on their interest on the subject matter, the type of person they are and how much they contribute to a forum.

    Picking a moderator purely because he (or she) follows Chelsea is farcical at best, dangerous precedent at worst.

    Unless the mods feel strongly about this and it would be good for the forum I can't see it ever happening.

    This I have to agree with; it is akin to being politically correct for the sake of it and so on.

    But as mentioned above, in something that can be so bitterly divisive like the soccer forum, having one team over represented so much in terms of Mods who support them is not a good thing. The supporters of that team more or less have a carte blanche to do as they please, knowing the mods of their team will cover their backs.

    It would, I agree, be a dangerous precedent to set if you were to appoint mods with abandon and simply because of who they supported. But something has to be done to redress the balance in the Soccer Forum.


  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6


    The supporters of that team more or less have a carte blanche to do as they please, knowing the mods of their team will cover their backs.

    Are we being preemptive here or has this actually happened, i.e. have you examples?


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD


    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Okay......

    So in the Unix forum, we make sure and have mods who are users of Ubuntu, Fedora and Solaris?

    And in the Motors forum we make sure we have mods who drive Opel, Toyota and Skoda?

    And in the Beer/Wine/Spirits forum we take a whiskey drinker, we take a vodka drinker, we take a lager drinker, we take a cider drinker.

    And so on.....

    We pick moderators based on their interest on the subject matter, the type of person they are and how much they contribute to a forum.

    Picking a moderator purely because he (or she) follows Chelsea is farcical at best, dangerous precedent at worst.

    Unless the mods feel strongly about this and it would be good for the forum I can't see it ever happening.
    Ok, just picking a Chelsea mod would be silly I agree.

    But.... do ''Beer/Wine/Spirits'' have thousands meet in a stadium every week shouting their love for their preference?

    Does ''Ubuntu, Fedora and Solaris'' have people posting like mad about the daily going ons with them? Do they have passionate followers who would pay alot of money to follow them?

    Soccer is a different subject. We know this from the things that have gone on in the past with this forum. It is a whole different animal and must be treated as such. I won't be taken serious here obviously because its me.

    There is a issue here and I look forward to you're response because examples like yours cannot be used here to fob off my argument. They do not fit in here Tom.

    BTW are you the real Tom Dunne? Love your show.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve


    what difference would having a chelsea mod make? every mod is meant to be impartial anyways.

    I know what a trainwreck the liverpool thread can be however it makes no sense to have mods decided by what teams they support. Its like female quota's for politicians.. good in theory but are they the best people for the job?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83


    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    And in the Beer/Wine/Spirits forum we take a whiskey drinker, we take a vodka drinker, we take a lager drinker, we take a cider drinker..


    He sings the songs that remind him
    Of the good times

    He sings the songs that remind him
    Of the better times

    Oh Danny Boy, Danny Boy, Danny Boy.

    I get knocked down

    But I get up again

    You're never going to keep me down

    I get knocked down.

    But I get up again

    You're never going to keep me down.



    Sorry had to do it.


    Back on topic, terrible idea.


    Their is no lack of balance in the SF. If you think there is mod bias then use examples.


    Also me a United fan has received his last two infractions from a United fan.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz


    DrumSteve wrote: »
    what difference would having a chelsea mod make? every mod is meant to be impartial anyways.

    I know what a trainwreck the liverpool thread can be however it makes no sense to have mods decided by what teams they support. Its like female quota's for politicians.. good in theory but are they the best people for the job?

    The above is the problem with the Soccer forum.

    While the mods will deny it up and down, it is hard to shake the feeling that certain fans who use the Soccer forum have to be a lot more careful what they say for fear of infractions or bans, while other users have more of a carte blanche.

    I don't think that the mods are impartial, I think that they can be more biased than they would care to let on, which is not a good thing.

    It won't be solved handily by simply handing out mod positions to any Joe Soap, but I do think something would have to be done to redress the balance.


  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6


    While the mods will deny it up and down, it is hard to shake the feeling that certain fans who use the Soccer forum have to be a lot more careful what they say for fear of infractions or bans, while other users have more of a carte blanche.

    I don't think that the mods are impartial, I think that they can be more biased than they would care to let on, which is not a good thing.

    I'm sorry but you can't keep firing accusations without backing them up.

    Come out with it. Name and shame these mods and users getting away with it.

    I'm comfortable with my actions and I'm sure my co-mods are the same.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    This is a very silly idea. I read the soccer forum every day and they are great at their job. I have never seen an anti-chelsea bias and as far as I'm aware, the mods are incredibly impartial.
    Picking a mod just because of what team they support? No way. The day that happens I'll be making sure there's a gibson/fender mod in instruments...

    Massive -1 for me


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD


    Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you can't keep firing accusations without backing them up.

    Come out with it. Name and shame these mods and users getting away with it.

    I'm comfortable with my actions and I'm sure my co-mods are the same.
    Xavi you do well tbf and I cannot recall you making a harsh action in a while. I havn't fired a direct accusation yet and I am not going to go looking for examples but I think the subject warrants discussion without them at least.

    @Spud83

    I lol'd hard.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne


    DazMarz wrote: »
    The supporters of that team more or less have a carte blanche to do as they please, knowing the mods of their team will cover their backs.

    I would welcome Moderator's comments on this. To be honest, I find it hard to believe. Then again, I know nothing about Soccer and I don't frequent the forum.
    DazMarz wrote: »
    It would, I agree, be a dangerous precedent to set if you were to appoint mods with abandon and simply because of who they supported. But something has to be done to redress the balance in the Soccer Forum.

    If there is an issue in the Soccer forum, or any forum for that matter, there are plenty of avenues open to users to sort this out.

    I am all ears. :)


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD


    Lads, can we get off the Chelsea bit. It is a example aswell as something that should be looked at but having mods who will support certain groups and a few groups not having a mod who would be of the same line of thought needs to be looked at.

    Tom would appreciate a reply to my reply to you when you get a chance.


  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6


    CHD wrote: »
    Xavi you do well tbf and I cannot recall you making a harsh action in a while.

    I know I'm not biased when it comes to modding. I don't moderate big match thread involving City because I know the bias line will be brought out, and I regularly let my co-mods know well in advance that, while I'll be posting in the thread, I won't be modding.

    My point is we try be as impartial as possible across the board.
    I havn't fired a direct accusation yet and I am not going to go looking for examples but I think the subject warrants discussion without them at least.
    .

    It only warrants discussion if there is a problem.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83


    It's not an example though. If it ain't a problem it doesn't need fixing, if it is a problem you should be able to give or show cases where it has been one.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon


    CHD wrote: »
    But.... do ''Beer/Wine/Spirits'' have thousands meet in a stadium every week shouting their love for their preference?

    Pretty much :p


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD


    Xavi6 wrote: »



    It only warrants discussion if there is a problem.

    There is.

    The majority have a voice if needed.

    Minority don't.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD


    Tallon wrote: »
    Pretty much :p
    Knew I should have worded that differently!


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne


    CHD wrote: »
    But.... do ''Beer/Wine/Spirits'' have thousands meet in a stadium every week shouting their love for their preference?

    I believe drinkers have been known to congregate in numbers at the weekends and have been known to shout for Beer/Wine/Spirits. :)
    CHD wrote: »
    Does ''Ubuntu, Fedora and Solaris'' have people posting like mad about the daily going ons with them? Do they have passionate followers who would pay alot of money to follow them?

    You haven't been to the Unix forum lately, have you? :D Ok, I admit perhaps not to the extent of the Soccer forum, but there is passion in the Unix forum.

    CHD wrote: »
    It is a whole different animal and must be treated as such.

    I disagree. There are general rules and regulations for behaviour on the site. Especially when it comes to what is and is not acceptable. These rules can be modified for each individual forum, but within reason.
    CHD wrote: »
    I won't be taken serious here obviously because its me.

    That's not true. If you have a rational argument, I will listen.

    I am listening, but I don't necessarily agree with you. :)
    CHD wrote: »
    There is a issue here and I look forward to you're response because examples like yours cannot be used here to fob off my argument. They do not fit in here Tom.

    I'm not fobbing you off, I am offering my opinion.
    CHD wrote: »
    BTW are you the real Tom Dunne? Love your show.

    You were going so good up to this point. :)


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD


    I disagree. There are general rules and regulations for behaviour on the site. Especially when it comes to what is and is not acceptable. These rules can be modified for each individual forum, but within reason.
    And....... The soccer forum bends hugely (That sentence sucks) because it has to so it can function. With that comes situations, in certain situations a group of posters have a biased mod, the others don't. Mods won't over rule a mod or take over for fear of making one look weak. This sucks.

    That's not true. If you have a rational argument, I will listen.
    Thanks.
    I am listening, but I don't necessarily agree with you. :)


    I know this but I guarantee this is locked without ever being properly looked at.


    You were going so good up to this point. :)
    What is this meant to mean? :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner


    CHD wrote: »
    And....... The soccer forum bends hugely (That sentence sucks) because it has to so it can function. With that comes situations, in certain situations a group of posters have a biased mod, the others don't.

    You make claims of bias but you have yet to produce any evidence of it

    The soccer forum is ticking along nicely, if this was a big a problem as you suggest then there would be more problems and ample evidence

    Mods do their best to be unbiased but as we are human we make mistakes
    In PI we have to approve a lot of posts before the can be seen on the forum, in a lot of cases I disagree strongly with the advice given but my disagreement is irrelevant, if the post doesn't breach the charter I approve it, I don't allow my bias to get in the way
    Mods won't over rule a mod or take over for fear of making one look weak. This sucks.

    On occasion I have done something dumb and have been overrulled by my fellow Mods, I don't feel this makes me look weak but makes me look reasonable for admitting when I have made a mistake, I accept the decision of my fellow Mods and they are confident enough to overrule me


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD


    You make claims of bias but you have yet to produce any evidence of it
    It is well known bias can happen, especially when about football. It happens in the SF and everyone who is a reg knows it.


    Mods do their best to be unbiased but as we are human we make mistakes
    In PI we have to approve a lot of posts before the can be seen on the forum, in a lot of cases I disagree strongly with the advice given but my disagreement is irrelevant, if the post doesn't breach the charter I approve it, I don't allow my bias to get in the way
    I know they do their best, but sometimes bias gets in the way. Eh, thanks for the PI run down I am on about the SF here....

    On occasion I have done something dumb and have been overrulled by my fellow Mods, I don't feel this makes me look weak but makes me look reasonable for admitting when I have made a mistake, I accept the decision of my fellow Mods and they are confident enough to overrule me

    In the SF if you are overruled it will look alot worse than on other forums so it just won't happen, ever.

    You pretty much added nothing, you have me baffled here. Have you had your coffee?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner


    CHD wrote: »
    It is well known bias can happen, especially when about football. It happens in the SF and everyone who is a reg knows it.

    I am a regular in the soccer forum, I have yet to see any major issues that you are claiming though and you are yet to show any evidence that this is an issue
    I know they do their best, but sometimes bias gets in the way. Eh, thanks for the PI run down I am on about the SF here....

    In the SF if you are overruled it will look alot worse than on other forums so it just won't happen, ever.

    You pretty much added nothing, you have me baffled here. Have you had your coffee?

    I was trying to show you that what you claim doesn't happen actually does, the example was from PI because that is one of the forums I mod, I don't see the Mods of the soccer forum acting any differently, they are grown ups and well able to accept criticism


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone


    CHD wrote: »
    It is well known that Chelsea have been consistently one of the best for the last 7 years. Why don't Chelsea have a mod? Why do Liverpool have two? Spurs should have one. Now we all know Spurs had one in therecklessone as they prob saw Spurs being a top 4 side coming but unfortunately she left ( Prob best mod forum has seen too). We saw LuckyLloyd as a mod who also supported Liverpool. He was then sent packing. Why? Well I know the real reason. Pool have 3 mods, last in first out. Create a ruckuss and send him on his way, he prob wasn't in on it but thats how it went down I reckon.

    What do you do? Fill that gap with a Arsenal mod. When Spurs have made it? You fill that gap with one of their rivals. Ah, but I know why... To keep the Spurs forum open and ticking over and keep them out of the soccer forum, same reason TRO packed his bags. I am onto you.

    You've been drinking early again, haven't you CHD?

    First off I'm a he, if you want to sound like a recently departed favourite of ours you should go the whole hog and call me Recklesstone (hell, I might even respond with my alter ego ;))

    You are way off in your assessment of why I stepped down. The truth is I was struggling to disguise my contempt for a growing number of forum users, and volunteered to step down to allow somebody with a healthier perspective replace me. The other mods asked me to reconsider, or at least hang on until they found a suitable replacement (this happened around the time of eirebhoy's tragic passing away) but eventually the disaster that was the Ireland-France match and it's aftermath pushed me over the edge.

    The Soccer Forum mods to a man/woman are opposed to single club forums, and would never engineer my resignation/sacking (delete as to whatever batsh1t conspiracy you subscribe to) to keep Spurs fans off the forum. I'm sure they can confirm this, but if they had a say the Spurs forum would never have been created (that issue in general is for another day)

    As to club bias? You describe me as probably the best mod the forum has seen but I was routinely accused of bias when dealing with Arsenal fans (oh, and one guy who claimed it was cos I was a Jew). The forum has a charter, which the mods are required to apply, and IMO they should be commended for the manner in which they do so without allowing their club allegiance to influence their decision making.

    This thread is completely without foundation, regardless the forum mods have already signalled they intend running a forum feedback thread post-world cup and I think it would be best discussed there, in full view of the forum members and with their full input.


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement