Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBc iPlayer/ToR/proxy settings/hosts file

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

IrishTonyO had a spiffing idea:
    use http://expatshield.com/

forget ToR
    lock the thread
    lock it!!

Or perhaps keep this open and start a new thread with regards to this new VPN?

By the way, i just installed it and it worked, but not after bringing me to about 4 different ad sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

IrishTonyO had a spiffing idea:
    use http://expatshield.com/

forget ToR
    lock the thread
    lock it!!

YEP.

Tried everything to open a Dr. Who download. Nothing worked, this just did!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Or perhaps keep this open and start a new thread with regards to this new VPN?

By the way, i just installed it and it worked, but not after bringing me to about 4 different ad sites.

I unticked the toolbar option. It mentioned something about ads, maybe that was it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

K-9 wrote: »
    I unticked the toolbar option. It mentioned something about ads, maybe that was it.

Nah i unticked that too.

Basically i tried to navigate to iPlayer, a page came up saying "Start" and when i clicked it it brought me to ad sites.

I got it working eventually though.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I found an easy workaround to get Flash to work in FF portable:
    here
    I spent fúcking ages trying to get flash to work before I came back to this thread only for this comment to be the first thing I see... :mad:

Much appreciated though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

*Bump*

I've been using expat shield and I found it works for BBC iPlayer but not 4oD. Why is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

*Bump*

I've been using expat shield and I found it works for BBC iPlayer but not 4oD. Why is this?

4 oD is available to Ireland. You dont need a proxy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭jaykay74

4 oD is available to Ireland. You dont need a proxy.:)

His location info says France though....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks.

So, which bit of Tor should I download?

https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en

Browser, Vidalia or Expert?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I used the browser bundle, it includes a portable version of FF. I had another version of FF, which I uninstalled. You need to get a couple of files to make Flash work, see above.

If you already use FF and don't want to change, I suggest get another browser just for iPlayer and configure that to talk to the local ToR proxy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I used vidalia.
    I use chrome, and after a bit of fupping about, got it to work seamlessly.
    For anyone who uses chrome, dl the extension 'proxy switchy'. similar to the firefox
    torbutton, much easier to switch between proxy and direct connection.
    then change the tor config file to allow only uk exit nodes (or irish, or american, or whatever) you need. start Tor, hit switchy proxy, and it gives you an ip from your desired country.
    hurrah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Peejesius

I used the Tor and mgeni method and iplayer is working perfectly! However, there is a problem viewing live tv on bbc website... Could anyone advise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Thank you SO MUCH for expatshield! I missed the game against the Aussies because it was on at 4.30am here but I'm watching it now. I love you guys/gals! <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Looking for some help with this please: Am using XP with Chrome and when I disable the expatshield mini-port in the Lan connections properties/support diaogue box the connection comes back
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Did you try Tor & Firefox for the sites you need to pretend to be somewhere else, and Chrome for anything else ? expatshield will apply to all clients using web traffic, Tor installs a proxy server running on your machine which the FF is configured to use.

I don't use Chrome or expatshield myself BTW.

Advertisement