Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Trust Mainstream Media

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

chompy wrote: »
    Were you trying to?

Aw I did, didn't I. Sorry pet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

studiorat wrote: »
    Aw I did, didn't I. Sorry pet. :)
    Troll.

Try sticking to the issues, at least then you might get some respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

U.S. media outlets overwhelmingly owned by for-profit conglomerates and supported by corporate advertisers, independent journalism is compromised.

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=101

I suppose this could apply to all main stream media

enno99 wrote: »
    U.S. media outlets overwhelmingly owned by for-profit conglomerates and supported by corporate advertisers, independent journalism is compromised.

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=101

I suppose this could apply to all main stream media

https://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/592/t/1038/shop/shop.jsp?storefront_KEY=78

Baseball cap anyone? ;)

If your going to quote someone, at least do it right. :rolleyes:
    ... this could apply to all main stream media
    ... this could apply to all main stream media

• Advertisement

I must say I agree with the link above. Particularly since it's author Jeff COHEN:eek::eek::eek:. works for such notable organs of journalism as MSNBC, CNN and FOX news. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

I must say I agree with the link above. Particularly since it's author Jeff COHEN:eek::eek::eek:. works for such notable organs of journalism as MSNBC, CNN and FOX news. :P

do you have a problem with people working or selling products to make a living?
    Im sure he can be critical without starving himself to death

do you have a problem with people working or selling products to make a living?
    Im sure he can be critical without starving himself to death

Indeed, but he can make his point in the "mainstream" once again illustrating that the hipsters will use the "mainstream" when the story suits them.:D This once again proves that the "wake-up" merchants are simply a load of hypocrites.

Indeed, but he can make his point in the "mainstream" once again illustrating that the hipsters will use the "mainstream" when the story suits them.:D This once again proves that the "wake-up" merchants are simply a load of hypocrites.

The "mainstream" will use the "hipsters" when it suits them too. There's nothing like a human interest story to get everyone emotionally invested in whatever crap is being pushed on joe public.

It's called "spin".

What definition of "hipsters" are you using by the way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ok maybe I'm gettin old, but arent hipsters a type of wimmins trousers??

can someone fill me in here please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Just reading some of the comments and posts by people on the israeli thread....

A few of the people here saying no no main stream media cannot be trusted,
    are putting up videos from main steam media to support their case.......

do you not see how riddiculous this makes u look

robtri wrote: »

what for pointing out a load of daft c..ts?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

You've been given enough warnings that this this constant level of aggressive, abrasive posting is not acceptable.

Take a week off.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

robtri wrote: »

You need to understand the difference between discretion and sheep like blind faith.

Mainstream media can't be trusted, but mainly IMO because of omission, distortion and spin. Especially in these technologically advanced times some randomer Russian can take a video recording of a plane crash and put it on youtube within hours. Me personally I don't visit any CT sites, I get my information (not that I consider myself informed) from the mainstream generally and try to delve deeper into the stories that interest me, check sources etc.

Without a trustworth media what we call democracy is a sham IMO:

Here is a lesson in how to deal with mainstream media shills.

edited by bonkey to fix youtbe tags

(haha did I just unedit it now? Cheers Bonkey)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

You need to understand the difference between discretion and sheep like blind faith.

Mainstream media can't be trusted, but mainly IMO because of omission, distortion and spin. Especially in these technologically advanced times some randomer Russian can take a video recording of a plane crash and put it on youtube within hours. Me personally I don't visit any CT sites, I get my information (not that I consider myself informed) from the mainstream generally and try to delve deeper into the stories that interest me, check sources etc.

Without a trustworth media what we call democracy is a sham IMO:

see this is just nonsense to me....

You say before you cant trust mainstream media,

when you use mainstream media information its ok.. as it supports your case

When other use main stream media it is condemned and told how can you trust them....

You admit mainstram media is where you generally get your info......

Sorry but reeks of hypocracy ......
    you want want it every which way as long as it agrees with your perception of the world.

"main stream media, as long as they agree with my thoughts they are good otherwise they are wrong"
    its a very childish way of looking at things (no disrespect, as i quite enjoy your post and the way you support your theories)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elzer

Hey all,

My opinion of the mainstream media is that it is a form of social control, usually there to remind us of the consequences of not conforming to social norms. if the powers that be want us to behave a certain way this is a good tool to achieve results.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Mainstream Media (Especially in the USA) is filtered garbage meant to keep people living in fear and in control..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

What do people make of this?

Was this really shown on CNN?

Almost looks like something from a comedy film! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

The main stream media has been using mind control techniques , such as getting you to feel guilty and remorse , just like reliigions do , don't you bad about climate change , same control techniques they are using thats been used for thousands of years , people are very easy to control if you can get them to feel guilty , so of course the media uses those mind control techniques all the time on you sinners .

And zeitgeist is doing that as well , see they want to get rid of the controlling religions , but keep their mind control , zeitgeist are using mind control in their movie .

• Advertisement

espinolman wrote: »
    The main stream media has been using mind control techniques , such as getting you to feel guilty and remorse , just like reliigions do , don't you bad about climate change , same control techniques they are using thats been used for thousands of years , people are very easy to control if you can get them to feel guilty , so of course the media uses those mind control techniques all the time on you sinners .

And zeitgeist is doing that as well , see they want to get rid of the controlling religions , but keep their mind control , zeitgeist are using mind control in their movie .

Doesn't seem to be working very well though. I mean are they controlling your mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

Doesn't seem to be working very well though. I mean are they controlling your mind?

I would be inclined to agree espinolman on this. By releasing only certain information about certain events the media can make the masses feel a particular way about something or toward someone, groups or events. Perhaps it's not so much "mind control" but rather thought control or opinion control. It becomes quite obvious when you look into the fear campaign related to the war on terror or the swine flu fear campaign. Though espinolman and myself are most likely not affected by these forms of control because we are aware of it's intent, probably 80 to 85% of the masses are.

By releasing only certain information about certain events the media can make the masses feel a particular way about something or toward someone, groups or events.

Like this for example : http://www.prisonplanet.com/

Or this: http://www.truthnews.net/world/2010060555.htm

Two opposing views both presented as true.
    They are in fact the top two hits when I "Googled" the words truth and news. Oddly enough prison planet was the top hit. :confused:
    Though espinolman and myself are most likely not affected by these forms of control because we are aware of it's intent, probably 80 to 85% of the masses are.

How are you so sure that the awareness of this intent has not been engineered in some way?

Why are you so sure that you are not one of "the masses"? Do you have access to a different media than they?

Yes, exactly like that.

Two opposing views both presented as true.
    They are in fact the top two hits when I "Googled" the words truth and news. Oddly enough prison planet was the top hit. :confused:

It's not so odd considering PP is the worlds top conspiracy forum. And 911 truth is the biiggest conspiracy.
    How are you so sure that the awareness of this intent has not been engineered in some way?

Obviously I can't be. But I doubt it somehow.
    Why are you so sure that you are not one of "the masses"? Do you have access to a different media than they?

I never suggested that anyone should get their news from any one source, nor would I. The masses, 80-85% of people do get it from one source, the 6 o clock news. I on the other hand don't and think I have a pretty good notion of whats really happening in the world because of it. Mention flu vaccine to the masses and they think it's a wonderful idea, i on the other hand don't because I have gotten information from many sources. :)
    Though some of the masses sneak in here to the CT forum to get the real story, the truth behind the mainstream news, so maybe the actual percentage should be about 79-84% :D

That said, I would be interested to see the same poll in the media/news forum, Im sure the results would be reversed. Also, I'd like to see a poll.. "do you trust alternative media", it would probably be a resounding NO

It's not so odd considering PP is the worlds top conspiracy forum. And 911 truth is the biiggest conspiracy.

And the second highest is practically the exact opposite in terms of analysis?

I never suggested that anyone should get their news from any one source, nor would I. The masses, 80-85% of people do get it from one source, the 6 o clock news.

Say's who?
    I on the other hand don't and think I have a pretty good notion of whats really happening in the world because of it. Mention flu vaccine to the masses and they think it's a wonderful idea, i on the other hand don't because I have gotten information from many sources. :)

And what exactly was your criteria for deciding which was fact?
    The manditory vaccines the scaremongers were whining about never materialised did they? Despite 14,000 reported deaths from the virus.

65 million people were vaccinated, what has happened to them? Are they now "brain washed' masses too?

Though some of the masses sneak in here to the CT forum to get the real story, the truth behind the mainstream news, so maybe the actual percentage should be about 79-84% :D

That said, I would be interested to see the same poll in the media/news forum, Im sure the results would be reversed. Also, I'd like to see a poll.. "do you trust alternative media", it would probably be a resounding NO

The poll is irrelevant, the amount of visits to the thread and the amount of votes should indicate that, did you bother to vote?
    You also suggest that the media/news forum is somehow part of the masses. Why is that? Surely people with an interest in news and media would either be a) privy to the "brainwashing" or b) part of that system.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

By "mainstream", you mean sites/TV shows that have lots of followers who follow blindly, no matter what sh|te they tell you, such as CNN, FOX, Indymedia, etc?

I take them all with a pinch of salt. Once you know which side of the fence they are on, however, you can see follow what they like to omit from the reports.

Israeli Blockade 'Eased' Only in English, but U.S. Media Eat It Up

06/18/2010 by Alex Kane The office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu released a statement yesterday that promised to "liberalize the system by which civilian goods enter Gaza." The announcement from Israel's security cabinet came after widespread international pressure on Israel following a deadly Israeli naval raid on a humanitarian flotilla trying to break the three-year old blockade of Gaza.

U.S. media echoed the Israeli press release in headlines like "Israel to Ease Gaza Land Blockade" (New York Times, 6/17/10) and "Israel Eases Restrictions on Goods Bound for Gaza Strip" (Washington Post, 6/18/10). (CNN--6/17/10--at least attributed the claim in its "Israel to Ease Blockade of Gaza, Cabinet Says.")

But corporate news coverage in the United States omitted an important aspect of the story that undermines the narrative that Israel is "easing" its blockade of Gaza. The Israeli daily Ha'aretz (6/17/10) reports:
    The prime minister's office announced on Thursday that the security cabinet had agreed to relax Israel's blockade on the Gaza Strip, but as it turns out, no binding decision was ever made during the cabinet meeting.
    The prime minister's office issued a press release in English following the meeting, which was also sent to foreign diplomats, was substantially different than the Hebrew announcement--according to the English text, a decision was made to ease the blockade, but in the Hebrew text there was no mention of any such decision.
    U.S. corporate media have apparently decided to ignore the Hebrew press release that told a far different story about the blockade of Gaza. Even if their correspondents in Jerusalem don't speak Hebrew, the online English version of Ha'aretz reported the news about the dual statements loud and clear yesterday afternoon.

Only time will tell which statement is true and whether Israel is really easing its land blockade of Gaza. (The naval blockade will remain in place, according to the New York Times story on the Israeli statement.) Even if the English version were true, though, it doesn't seem like it will squelch criticism of the blockade--Israeli human rights organization Gisha (Guardian, 6/17/10) called the announcement "cosmetic changes," and said that "we need a policy that recognizes the rights of Palestinian residents of Gaza not just to consume but also to produce and to travel."

Such viewpoints, however, are unlikely to get much of a hearing in the U.S. press.
    http://www.fair.org/blog/2010/06/18/israeli-blockade-eased-only-in-english-but-u-s-media-eat-it-up/

WASHINGTON, Aug. 18 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Declassified files from a Senate investigation into Israeli-funded covert public relations and lobbying activity in the United States were released by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) on July 23rd, 2010. The subpoenaed documents reveal Israel's clandestine programs for "cultivation of editors," the "stimulation and placement of suitable articles in the major consumer magazines" as well as U.S. reporting about sensitive subjects such as the Dimona nuclear weapons facility.

Documents are now available for download from http://IRmep.org/ila/azc include:

Dimona (excerpt): "The nuclear reactor story inspired comment from many sources; editorial writers, columnists, science writers and cartoonists. Most of the press seemed finally to accept the thesis that the reactor was being built for peaceful purposes and not for bombs." http://www.irmep.org/11-121960AZC.pdf

Content placement and promotion (excerpt): "The Atlantic Monthly in its October issue carried the outstanding Martha Gellhorn piece on the Arab refugees, which made quite an impact around the country. We arranged for the distribution of 10,000 reprints to public opinion molders in all categories… Interested friends are making arrangements with the Atlantic for another reprint of the Gellhorn article to be sent to all 53,000 persons whose names appear in Who's Who in America…Our Committee is now planning articles for the women's magazines for the trade and business publications." http://www.irmep.org/09101961AZC.pdf

Pressure campaigns (excerpt): "It can be said that the press of the nation…has by and large shown sympathy and understanding of Israel's position. There are, of course, exceptions, notably the Scripps-Howard chain where we still need to achieve a 'break-through,' the Pulliam chain (where some progress has been made) and some locally-owned papers." http://www.irmep.org/11-121960AZC.pdf

Magazine Committee achievements (excerpt): "We cannot pinpoint all that has already been accomplished by this Committee except to say that it has been responsible for the writing and placement of articles on Israel in some of America's leading magazines...." http://www.IRmep.org/10301962_AZC.pdf

According to Grant F. Smith, director of IRmep, "It is frightening how easily some in the American news media surrendered to a foreign public relations campaign that spent the 2010 equivalent of $36 million over two years. Time has proven most of the planted content to be misleading, if not dangerous. These historical documents hold many important lessons for Americans who have long needed—but rarely received—straight reporting on key Middle East issues."

The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) is the nation's record keeper. It retains 1%-3% of the most important documents of business conducted by the United States Federal government. The Israel Lobby Archive, http://IRmep.org/ila is a unit of the Institute for Research: Middle Eastern Policy in Washington.

SOURCE Institute for Research: Middle Eastern Policy http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/declassified-senate-investigation-files-reveal-clandestine-israeli-pr-campaign-in-america-100976089.html

RELATED LINKS
    http://IRmep.org/ila

Several RTE staff voted yes :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

Please watch this.

I just accidentally came across a longer version of this. Quite hilarious.

Advertisement