Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile "so called broadband" speed test week.

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

835527731.png

Using my unlocked MiFi Device.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Last 2 days of testing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

837340848.png
    18223591.png
    Results from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

837364556.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

837411038.png
    18227559.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

837695737.png

Couldn't connect last night, when I did it was @ .03 mb/s. now I get this on a a Saturday evening! Typical. Non NBS.

837857745.png
    18254946.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

837892215.png

18257079.png

roll on the end of june offically out of contract :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not too bad this morning, rural Wexford, about 2km from mast.

838249558.png

838282261.png
    18281058.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

838292834.png

18281680.png

bit better this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 40 cowboy.1981

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Time for everybody to do a speedtest on their mobile service and post up the results between Sunday the 30th and Saturday the 5th of June.

Sponge Bob - this is an interesting experiment, but it is difficult to get a large enough sample size to be accurate. I also suspect that many people are tempted to post better than average speeds for their ISP, in order to vindicate their purchasing decision to stay with that ISP?

When you do a Speedtest - it displays a bar chart comparing your result to your ISP average. Unfortunately it is not numeric, and is not included in the standard results window. However, the bars are displayed on a graph paper background and you can make a rough estimate of your ISP average from this.

Someone posted a comparison of these on Boards a few months ago. It would be interesting if one person on each network could read off these bar charts and post the current ISP averages for the midband providers. However, I am not sure whether Vodafone & O2 averages include their DSL products also?

I don't use midband much, and I don't have a dongle here, so I can't do it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

838427816.png

18289421.png

Results from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

838601367.png

not to bad for the bank holiday and a sunday evening to !!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

838774452.png my weekend test normal 3 west cork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I'm embarrassed posting this:o Ripwave.

839796325.png

18367611.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

My speed since last Thursday has been very easy to calculate ... 0mbps upload and 0mbps download.

The mi-fi modem simply refuses to connect. I've tried to get some joy from 3 tech support in Mumbai, but they are saying it'll take until the end of the week (at least) till someone will be able to get out to me. From previous experience I'm guessing it'll be weeks before this is sorted out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sponge Bob wrote: »

I will look over this thread next week and will summarise the results for everybody..

Well how bad is it doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The only significant thing will be comparison with next year. The sample is too small and self-selected for any other value?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I's say were going to see an explosion in data traffic over mobile networks in the coming months and years, i'd be surprised if there's much of an improvement in 6mts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

watty wrote: »
    The only significant thing will be comparison with next year. The sample is too small and self-selected for any other value?

I would agree that there isnt enough for a true breakdown, but may be helpfull for isolated situations / places.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I will summarise the results and let the mods lock the thread up.

1. O2 are the worst network. Nobody seems to get the full advertised speed with O2 ever. This is unacceptable.
    2. Three are second worst. However Three have uncongested _parts_ of their network for once and can deliver at or near advertised speeds on occasion and not just in NBS areas. Until recently they were the worst.
    3. Vodafone are third worst . Busy if large network and with some oversold areas. A decent build rate would be nice.
    4. Meteor are the best. This is understandable given how few customers they have. In Mobile Midband land a small switch from the others to Meteor could put them in last place in no time.

The next survey .....maybe in 6 months....should take place after 14mbit campaigns and alleged slight ping improvements. We shall see.

Yes this is unscientific but you may PM me if you represent an operator and see how far you get :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

OK, we'll close this for now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement