Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Fabia conversion

Options
  • 28-05-2010 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

Right lads, heres the story. Drive a 1.4 Mpi Fabia nothing too magnificent. However, I was told a 1.8 turbo engine from a Golf Mark IV would fit in, what do ye think? Worth the moolah? Or waste of time? It would be a jump from 68 to 250ish Bhp if it was done professionally.

Also its a mank green colour at the moment, thinking of getting a white metallic respray, a Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 04-07 exhaust system.

Any ideas suggestions comments prices etc welcomed!!!

Kielmanator

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

You'll get major understeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

would you not just get a decent car?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Would cost a small fortune,apart from the Engine transplant you would have to consider suspension,brakes,FMIC,remap,bigger wheels to fit over the brakes.....

At a rough guess if you were paying someone to do it i would say more than 5k,if you were doing it yourself and had the know how maybe 3k.

And why would you fit a mondeo exhaust to a skoda? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

tossy wrote: »
    Would cost a small fortune,apart from the Engine transplant you would have to consider suspension,brakes,FMIC,remap,bigger wheels to fit over the brakes.....

At a rough guess if you were paying someone to do it i would say more than 5k,if you were doing it yourself and had the know how maybe 3k.

And why would you fit a mondeo exhaust to a skoda? :confused:

Why would you fit a Skoda to a GTi engine!!!

:P

Skoda did it themselves :D

• Advertisement

Skoda did it themselves :D

I said why ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Right lads, heres the story. Drive a 1.4 Mpi Fabia nothing too magnificent. However, I was told a 1.8 turbo engine from a Golf Mark IV would fit in, what do ye think? Worth the moolah? Or waste of time? It would be a jump from 68 to 250ish Bhp if it was done professionally.

Also its a mank green colour at the moment, thinking of getting a white metallic respray, a Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 04-07 exhaust system.

Any ideas suggestions comments prices etc welcomed!!!

Kielmanator

Why not just buy an Ibiza Cupra or Polo GTI? It'll be easier.. and safer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

You mean GTI engine right??? GTi would be a Peugeot.

si_guru wrote: »
    You mean GTI engine right??? GTi would be a Peugeot.

Sorry Mr.Pedantic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ist of all before you do anything you would need to check that you can be INSURED on a converted car.

And it wouldnt be 250ish bhp.

It would be 150bhp or 180bhp (1.8 Mk 4 turbo engine).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kielmanator

Right I suppose I should have gone into a tidge more detail. Sorry. The whole underbody of the Mk. IV was going to be brought over (the brakes, gearbox etc). The whole dashboard, steering wheel and all was being put in aswell. A new suspension was being made up. New everything were going to be put into the engine along with a variable timer, air induction, blah blah blah. My car was put on a dyno run and rated a 75bhp even though officially its supposed to be 68!

In response to the insurance, I'm with AXA and told the one behind the counter face to face exactly what was happening. She rang underwriting and they said no extra lump sum on my premium. I'm 19, just paid out 1600 and have 1 years ncb.:D

Thanks for the comments anyway folks.

So you are 19 and the insurance company tells you there is no increase on taking out the 1.4 engine of your car and putting in a MK4 1.8 turbo engine into it???

I find that hard to believe in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

Dont think it'd be worth the cost tbh

paddy147 wrote: »
    It would be 150bhp or 180bhp (1.8 Mk 4 turbo engine).

250bhp is easily attainable for the 1.8T engine,most 1.8T's i know are running between 230 and 260bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I honestly think your wasting your time mate

A GTI engine in a Skoda would be silly,brakes/steering/traction ,everything would be all over the place...

250bhp is easily attainable for the 1.8T engine,most 1.8T's i know are running between 230 and 260bhp

Im talking in standard form.....why dont people use their cop on and propperly read?:rolleyes:

paddy147 wrote: »
    Im talking in standard form.....why dont people use their cop on and propperly read?:rolleyes:

Ooooooooooooooooh touchy! :D

Well i was silly enough to assume if someone is going to the hassle of putting an engine into a car that they would do it right and install FMIC,porper exhaust etc and get the best out of it,i also presumed the OP knew this as he clearly mentions mk4 1.8T engine and a figure of 250bhp......

So what was that about reading properly..... :rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

If you can do it yourself, then yeah maybe it might be worthwhile.If you cant then its going to cost a fortune to get the car balanced and safe.

You would be much better off to get the Vrs Octavia or Fabia and start tuning them if you want a bit of useable power.Insurance on the Fabia Vrs is light and if you throw a grand at it, you can expect 180bhp+, over 310lb/ft torque with a stage 2 custom remap.Put on an anti roll bar, lower it and do some suspension mods and you have a rare quick little car thats cheap to run and maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

how much do you have to spend on this project?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Dowdy20

You can buy a mk4 gti for very small money now about 3k. the engine is already in that ready to go :P

or a fabia vrs as mentioned.

don't build what you can buy because its never worth it. converted cars are harder to sell on and insurance is higher on them.

but if its what you want go for it but be prepared to have a large hole in your pocket and two cars in pieces for a while.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies everyone. Definitely made me think again about the plan! I agree an SF VRS or a GTi would be better then a whole conversion! Suppose I was looking for opinions on the value of the uniqueness! Thanks anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Dowdy20

Thanks for the replies everyone. Definitely made me think again about the plan! I agree an SF VRS or a GTi would be better then a whole conversion! Suppose I was looking for opinions on the value of the uniqueness! Thanks anyway!

Just buy either a vrs or gti and make it fast ;)

id go vrs don't see too many around.

Funnily enough I just went on a cruise through google and the like, it appears VRs's are indeed a rarity in Ireland, in fact to such an extent that I can't even find any for sale? Any clues or insights?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Funnily enough I just went on a cruise through google and the like, it appears VRs's are indeed a rarity in Ireland, in fact to such an extent that I can't even find any for sale? Any clues or insights?

There's one,

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1351274

Here's another

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1277410

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Should it say TDi on the engine? They look nice but then a bit TDi on the engine ruins it

draffodx wrote: »
    Should it say TDi on the engine? They look nice but then a bit TDi on the engine ruins it

Well,it is a diesel.Easily changed I guess

Well,it is a diesel.Easily changed I guess

Yeh I knew it was a diesel but having Tdi on the engine, I dunno, I just didn't expect it.

Its not even a red i. :D

draffodx wrote: »
    Yeh I knew it was a diesel but having Tdi on the engine, I dunno, I just didn't expect it.

Its not even a red i. :D

Nice car tbh,remap will bring it to over 160hp I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Jesus that cars ugly.

Buy yourself a 180bhp 3dr diesel golf and drive off into the sunset.

Done.

• Advertisement

Nice car tbh,remap will bring it to over 160hp I believe

VERY nice cars!
    Lurching wrote: »
    Jesus that cars ugly.

Buy yourself a 180bhp 3dr diesel golf and drive off into the sunset.

Done.

God lord, how could you think a dull boring Golf is worth driving off into the sunset?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement