Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My form - Deadlift

Options
  • 28-05-2010 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi all,

Finally started a fitness log here yesterday and since I'm becoming one of you fitness boardsies I thought I'd share the video I made for my trainer today :D.

This is the heaviest deadlift I've done so far: 155KG.

Pretty new to deadlifting and haven't really been going for max before so any tips or advice on form would be most appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Armedocr

Hey man good your getting into the DL such a key exercise.

Now your form. If you watch that vid you get into a nice position and your sitting back really well. When it comes to the actual lift you have almost straightened you legs fully before even pulling the weight off the ground pretty much doing a SLDL.

I always think about squatting the weight off the ground then really pushing forward with those hips.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Armedocr wrote: »
    Hey man good your getting into the DL such a key exercise.

Now your form. If you watch that vid you get into a nice position and your sitting back really well. When it comes to the actual lift you have almost straightened you legs fully before even pulling the weight off the ground pretty much doing a SLDL.

I always think about squatting the weight off the ground then really pushing forward with those hips.
    i would agree with all of that, bit more glutes in it and get everything moving at the same speed.

Looked realllllllly easy for you also

also your form is never going to be perfect on a max

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

I Thought it was grand to be honest, back was straight, hips rose, but hey, its a max, it aint gonna be perfect.

try to think about pushing the ground away from you, and pulling back(obviously not really or you will fall) it should help keep your chest up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭1ceman

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Yes the fact that I seem to be straightening out before I start pulling on the bar is something I spotted on the video so I'll definitely keep that in mind next time.

Now I don't know about it being easy but I do think I can go heavier if I get more confident in my technique.
    On this one for example, I wasn't really dragging the bar up my legs. This would indicate I could go heavier, right?.

Thanks again for the comments :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

If you need to use your legs to drag the bar up to lock-out its not a correct deadlift. If your upper legs are used to rest the bar or to shimmy the bar up to lock-out its called "hitching" and technically not a properly performed DL. Correct me though if that is not what you meant.

You can probably go heavier if you didn't feel like passing out after it!

I hope your not stinking of WW Leop with your shoes off - other people have to use it too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

I hope your not stinking of WW Leop with your shoes off - other people have to use it too ;)[/QUOTE]

no one uses shoes or trainers while deadlifting, when i used to compeate some years ago every one used swim socks.

the lifter on the vid needs to get his technique right, if he does not do it properly with a light weight, he will not do it right with a heavy weight, also he will damage his back quite badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Sangre wrote: »
    If you need to use your legs to drag the bar up to lock-out its not a correct deadlift.

He didn't say that.
    He said dragging the bar up his legs i.e. keeping the bar over the middle of the foot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You're crowding the bar. You're trying to get everything too close and hunched up and putting yourself in a fairly sh!t starting position.

Look at where your knees and hips are - your knees need to come back so they're over your feet and not over the bar. That'll push your hips up slightly higher.

From there, concentrate on arching your upper and lower back by pulling yourself into the bar - you want to have tension on it before you pull. Basically ya want to be set up so that as you pull you can lean back into it.

If you do it right, if you were to let go of the bar at the starting position you'd fall backwards, or with lighter weights you wouldn't be able to do it cos it would spring up early (you're effectively looking to use your body as a counter weight).

The biggest problem I see is that you're starting with your hips too low and knees too forward. If you can sort that out and learn how to get tension on the bar everything else should click together.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    He didn't say that.
    He said dragging the bar up his legs i.e. keeping the bar over the middle of the foot.

Well I guess I wasn't clear there, I meant I wasn't dragging the bar up my shins (somewhere I heard if you're not getting bruises on your shins you're not deadlifting right :) )

Hehe comments ranging from fine to sh!t :D

Thanks for the detailed explanation Hanley! What I was trying to follow was the instructions by Rippetoe in this vid (Jump to 1:35 for the actual deadlift):

Looking at that his knees are still over the bar but not as far as mine ?

...Kinda looking forward to deadlifting again with all these things to think about / work on now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Great tip i got a couple of years ago was to try and keep the angle between your torso and the ground the same until the bar passes your knees. After that you can straighten out to vertical.

Also it should look the exact same on the way up as it does on the way down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Chris89 wrote: »
    Great tip i got a couple of years ago was to try and keep the angle between your torso and the ground the same until the bar passes your knees. After that you can straighten out to vertical.

Also it should look the exact same on the way up as it does on the way down.

Not bad advice, but not great either. It'll limit the amount you can pull doing that.

What you're talking about is actually what I'd call a "clean deadlift" because that's the sorta position you're supposed to keep when cleaning. THe longer you stay over the bar the better your second pull will be. It tends to place your way more front/mid-foot tho, which is liable to pull your forward with max weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

I get you, thats how i pull when i lift conventional, but ive always had literally 40+ more kilos in me when i pull sumo and have never understood why.

A lot of people dont use enough leg in their DL in my experience and that tip quickly sorts that problem.

Cheers

Sangre wrote: »
    I hope your not stinking of WW Leop with your shoes off - other people have to use it too ;)

I'll have you know my feet are always superfresh, good sir!

But hey, I couldn't care less if you're swimming in the:

I'm there to get fit and won't let nothing stop me! :pac::pac::pac:

Say hi if you see me up there some time, always fun to meet people of teh internets! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭colly10

Off topic but good tune to train to, what is it

colly10 wrote: »
    Off topic but good tune to train to, what is it

It's a US Navy Cadence called "No Pain". I have a bunch of cadences (Navy, Marine Core) on my iPod playlist. I find them excellent to get in the mindset of absolutely not giving up. Particularly fitting when running :D

Advertisement