Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reoccurring Dreams - Do They Have A Meaning?

Options
  • 27-05-2010 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

I always have a reoccurring theme in my dreams. Not necessarily the same dream, but the same thing always happens, but in a different situation.

Most of my dreams involve water, and me jumping into it several times.
    Like once I had a dream where I constantly jumped in and out of the water, it wasn't the sea, it wasn't a pool or a lake, it was a really strange place that I can't even explain.
    But other dreams have just been normal dreams, but then I always seem to come across a lake and just jump into it, and then the rest of the dream just goes on as it was before.

So I was wondering do people think reoccurring dreams mean something. I know people who say that we always have the same dreams over and over, but we only rememberer the ones closets to the time we wake up and that they mean nothing.

But I think they might have a meaning. I'm just not entirely sure what mine mean.
    So what reoccurring dreams have people had here, and do you think they have any significant meaning?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think jumping into a lake is meant to be something like 'get into your life more' or a change in life or something...think water means loads of things t people depending on clarity and if it is an ocean, lake, wave etc

I've only had one when I was a kid, dreaming about driving or being in school but I couldn't see well. just all a blur. No idea what that was about, also teeth falling out which is anxiety.
    Apart from that, I don't need the sex dreams explained :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

Haha, sex dreams are probably the most common reoccurring dreams.

I just remembered another one I used to always have when I was younger. I was in the middle of this massive spider web, and there was loads of spiders around me (which were my family), coming to eat me! Freaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I have bouts of terrifying recurring dreams:(. All involving coffins, funerals, dead bodies moving and the like. Sometimes its someone I know, other times a complete randomer. Once dreamt I was at a funeral in the parish I grew up in and the body was being carried to the grave in a huge tupperware lunchbox:eek:. Wake up terrified and it stays with me for days. Often have de ja vu in dreams, like I dream about this housing estate that I'm walkin through, not anywhere I know in real life. I know that I've dreamt about this place before. kinda freaky....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Wow 73cat - that is one strange dream!! lol A tupperware box?! like wtf?!! haha

My most common reoccuring dreams involve me finding out my boyfriend is cheating on me, often with someone we know.

And when I confront him in the dream he doesnt care and is very blasè about it which further crushes me!!

I always wake up so upset and then realise its a dream and he is still there beside me.

Its really weird because he is the least likely guy to cheat and when I say it to him he is always like "where is this coming from ffs!!?" and then we laugh!

I wonder what its all about? I cant say im particularly paranoid or insecure. But once after a bout of these dreams I started to get paranoid and thought maybe there was a reason for it that I wasnt noticing!! Its so weird.

Other dreams usually involve flying. Now those dreams are FUN! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Yeah I know, completely weird:D. Sometimes I feel exhausted getting up cos so much happens in my dreams. The cheating dreams are rotten aren't they, I've had similar, and a horrible feeling niggles at you then, even when you know its not true. Maybe its like a subconcious fear that surfaces in dreams to mess with your head?:(. My Nan always used to say dreams were the opposite meaning eg if you dream someone dies , they'll have a long life....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 miaowmiaow

I <3 the dreams that make you think... And some of the dreams here already mentioned sound really, well, confusing. Lakes?! I've dreamt about drowning before so i hope yours fare better!
    :) As for myself, I've been having seriously violent dreams lately! But strangely, they're fun! Except for the fact people keep trying to kill me in the dreams... I like the vividness of them though!

The other night i had a long dream about my school friends turning into zombies. I had to kill them, chop them into tiny pieces and burn them to be sure they'd gone (sounds a but like twilight, but actually decent). They looked like chiken fillets! Then their ashes started firing green light thingys at me.
    To be honest, it reminds me of a deadly mix of shaun of the dead and doctor who. I've dismissed the possibility my dreams can somehow carry messages for me.
    Seriously, how are we meant to decipher such wackiness?
    They probably mean something, but unless it's really obvious (sex dreams reference once again) I'm going to be happy in ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Reoccuring dreams are driving me insane at the moment. Can you actively do something before sleep to stop them happening? Does anyone know why they happen in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

I believe that dreams are actually your brain working out life situations.
    If there is something you fear, your brain works out possible situations as you sleep to show you that you CAN face these fears and move forward.

I have faced a huge amount of changes in my life this past year and wish I would have kept a log of the dreams I have had because they are all very unusual. But they are all telling me that I need not fear possibilities that may happen. Life goes on. Dive in. Swim! After all, we only get this one chance at being who we are!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 redted

I hear you lust4life. couldn't agree with you more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 LupinFace

The most often reoccurring dream I have, is one where I am walking up an extremely steep hill with my family and/or friends, we reach mid-point and I start slipping downwards (I usually reach out to grab whatever I can get a grasp on~ Unsuccessful) Once I reach the bottom of this hill/ slope I try my hardest to get back up to where I was, but it's impossible (whereas when I started off, it was/seemed effortless)
    It always terrifies me, and leaves me in a sort of cold sweat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 .gerryc

I noticed a while back i was having a reoccurring dream, well part of a dream, where basically i would be looking to buy a drink like a bottle of water or orange or sumting and i would literrally just be searchin for a shop or vending machine in woteva situation i was in at that time in my dream. After awhile i realised i was waking up parching with thirst and actually needing a drink, something small i know but similarly i noticed that in dreams where i would be in a swimming pool or at a beach or river r lake r sumting I was waking in the middle of the night to go to the toilet!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

For many years I've had reccurring dreams that I'm lost, always in one of three places. Either a housing estate, or a motorway or in some fields. Always the same housing estate, the same motorway and the same fields. It's usually night or dusk in the dreams and I'm scared and trying to find my way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MsJenjers

I keep having dreams that involve a train, I think it symbolises change and moving forward and there's always a feeling of excitement or confusion in the dream.

Advertisement